Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We want some Model 3 Leaks, renders, sketches !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was a photo of a clay model Tesla. I can't find it anymore, but that surely did looked like the Tesla Model 3, I think.

Though it's a long time ago that I had seen that photo. I could be wrong.

Maybe somebody else can still find that photo of that clay model Tesla?

This was taken last night and posted to a Facebook group.
.facebook_1459517500701.jpg

Reactions: jame521
So due to the lack of instrumentation directly in front of the driver, I'm guessing Heads Up Display (HUD) to provide essential vehicle information to the driver.

I'm also guessing that the panel between the front windscreen and the all-glass rear roof-to-window will be a sunroof option (hopefully, anyway).

I also noticed the lack of badging to show even what logo they'll have on the final product.

The red Model 3 had tinted windows all around. Perhaps that will be an option?

Panoramic windshield like the X!

Tesla's still not big on the whole cupholder thing...

I guess now this thread transitions to Mule leaks so we can spot the differences in production vs. prototype ;-)

I think it goes like this... "Hey, I heard the production will have a hatch that opens fully" or "Can someone take a pic of a mule from the front so we can see if there is a HUD on the windshield?"

I guess now this thread transitions to Mule leaks so we can spot the differences in production vs. prototype ;-)

I think it goes like this... "Hey, I heard the production will have a hatch that opens fully" or "Can someone take a pic of a mule from the front so we can see if there is a HUD on the windshield?"
From the couple of videos I've watched from people getting rides, it looks like there's not currently any type of HUD information, but I'm expecting that to be some of the Reveal - Part 2.

So due to the lack of instrumentation directly in front of the driver, I'm guessing Heads Up Display (HUD) to provide essential vehicle information to the driver.

I'm also guessing that the panel between the front windscreen and the all-glass rear roof-to-window will be a sunroof option (hopefully, anyway).

I also noticed the lack of badging to show even what logo they'll have on the final product.

The red Model 3 had tinted windows all around. Perhaps that will be an option?

Panoramic windshield like the X!

Tesla's still not big on the whole cupholder thing...

Maybe they are thinking on some kind of HUD, but I think regulators are going to require they have some sort of instrumentation in front of the driver. The dashboard on the right will likely be made bigger too because they need to put the air bags in there. I doubt the prototypes have any safety features like airbags in there.

We know Tesla is not great at meeting schedules in development. To me the interior looks very unfinished with props standing in for things that will be fleshed out before production.

Even if they can get away with the minimalist dash with regulators, I'm not sure the general public is going to go for it. The people who were at the event and are posting here are not the general public. We are here because we took an interest in Tesla and their cars. We are much more educated about the brand than most people and we have some familiarity with the spartan interior on the Model S.

The Model 3 needs to appeal to a wide spectrum of the car buying public to sell well. The exterior looks middle of the road enough to not drive people away like the other EV weirdmobiles do. The interior will need to look close enough to other car interiors to draw people in too. The key is to make a potential buyer feel like they are giving up as little as possible compared to ICE cars. There is already a major negative built in which is the range of BEVs and the charge time compared to filling at a gas station. Superchargers help with this a lot, but it still is a negative against the car in the minds of most car buyers. Being weird in any way and/or with common features missing is another strike against it.

Tesla has made BEVs with a heck of a lot of positives over ICEs and those can be easily demonstrated. There are few base model cars with 0-60 in 6s and probably none in the $35K or less range. The Model 3 will also be roomier than ICEs of similar size and have many other advantages. I'm not saying it will lack selling points. Tesla just needs to keep the Con column as empty as possible.

Maybe they are thinking on some kind of HUD, but I think regulators are going to require they have some sort of instrumentation in front of the driver. The dashboard on the right will likely be made bigger too because they need to put the air bags in there. I doubt the prototypes have any safety features like airbags in there.

We know Tesla is not great at meeting schedules in development. To me the interior looks very unfinished with props standing in for things that will be fleshed out before production.

Even if they can get away with the minimalist dash with regulators, I'm not sure the general public is going to go for it. The people who were at the event and are posting here are not the general public. We are here because we took an interest in Tesla and their cars. We are much more educated about the brand than most people and we have some familiarity with the spartan interior on the Model S.

The Model 3 needs to appeal to a wide spectrum of the car buying public to sell well. The exterior looks middle of the road enough to not drive people away like the other EV weirdmobiles do. The interior will need to look close enough to other car interiors to draw people in too. The key is to make a potential buyer feel like they are giving up as little as possible compared to ICE cars. There is already a major negative built in which is the range of BEVs and the charge time compared to filling at a gas station. Superchargers help with this a lot, but it still is a negative against the car in the minds of most car buyers. Being weird in any way and/or with common features missing is another strike against it.

Tesla has made BEVs with a heck of a lot of positives over ICEs and those can be easily demonstrated. There are few base model cars with 0-60 in 6s and probably none in the $35K or less range. The Model 3 will also be roomier than ICEs of similar size and have many other advantages. I'm not saying it will lack selling points. Tesla just needs to keep the Con column as empty as possible.

There are plenty of models around the world including the US that do not include a instrument panel directly in front of the driver, including the best selling Prius.

Also you might not be aware of what other mainstream car model sales figures are. But I can assure you with -around 200,000 deposits in 24 hours, Telsa is selling to the masses with the interior design.

200,000 sales in one year (when tesla can produces this many) would out sell the BMW 3 series in North America.

It has 3 separate displays, though, including a HUD...on the 2012 Prius.

Talk about spoiled by Tesla, when I watch that video, as soon as they showed the collection of buttons I cringed just a little bit. I really do love the clean design of the Model S, and it's one of the things that I really look forward to in the Model 3.

PriusButtons.JPG

Undoubtedly the 3 will have a HUD, and as long as sufficient information is provided, a driver side instrumentation panel is completely unnecessary. There are, however, a lot of things they will need to display since that's the driver's primary reference of vehicle status, to include speed, headlights (high/low beam), turn signals, cruise control status, battery charge status, and autonomous driving information.

In the S, a lot of the forward panel is completely unnecessary. Drivers have the option of what they want there, to include media being played, energy consumption, clock, and trip counter information. All these things are just to fill the space more than anything since they're also available on the main center console. No need to put a driver console on the 3 just to duplicate information available elsewhere.

Reactions: ikjadoon
if we keep diligently requesting it - I am pretty sure Tesla would put a HUD in the model 3.. (exactly this 2 way communication with Tesla is what makes it so different from other OEMs.... Did anyone else notice how the 2 big gripes from consumer reports on the initial model S were that it lacked active safety features, and AWD? - well, a couple months after their review video where they highlighted this - Tesla came out with with exactly those 2 things)

Anyway, back to the topic.. Does anyone know how much a HUD costs, or rather how much drama incorporating one into a car's design is? I can't imagine it is that expensive anymore.... Would be willing to bet that IF Tesla does go that route, it will have some additional HUD tricks up its sleeve...