Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We want some Model 3 Leaks, renders, sketches !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: Model 3 and skilly
Maybe they are thinking on some kind of HUD, but I think regulators are going to require they have some sort of instrumentation in front of the driver. The dashboard on the right will likely be made bigger too because they need to put the air bags in there. I doubt the prototypes have any safety features like airbags in there.

airbags and safety features aside, there are several production examples of key instrumentation being located in the center of a car, not in front of the driver. Mini Cooper is one example...there are others.

Maybe they are thinking on some kind of HUD, but I think regulators are going to require they have some sort of instrumentation in front of the driver. The dashboard on the right will likely be made bigger too because they need to put the air bags in there. I doubt the prototypes have any safety features like airbags in there.

We know Tesla is not great at meeting schedules in development. To me the interior looks very unfinished with props standing in for things that will be fleshed out before production.

Even if they can get away with the minimalist dash with regulators, I'm not sure the general public is going to go for it. The people who were at the event and are posting here are not the general public. We are here because we took an interest in Tesla and their cars. We are much more educated about the brand than most people and we have some familiarity with the spartan interior on the Model S.

The Model 3 needs to appeal to a wide spectrum of the car buying public to sell well. The exterior looks middle of the road enough to not drive people away like the other EV weirdmobiles do. The interior will need to look close enough to other car interiors to draw people in too. The key is to make a potential buyer feel like they are giving up as little as possible compared to ICE cars. There is already a major negative built in which is the range of BEVs and the charge time compared to filling at a gas station. Superchargers help with this a lot, but it still is a negative against the car in the minds of most car buyers. Being weird in any way and/or with common features missing is another strike against it.

Tesla has made BEVs with a heck of a lot of positives over ICEs and those can be easily demonstrated. There are few base model cars with 0-60 in 6s and probably none in the $35K or less range. The Model 3 will also be roomier than ICEs of similar size and have many other advantages. I'm not saying it will lack selling points. Tesla just needs to keep the Con column as empty as possible.
You are so right! I was anxious about the interior look "vacant" was all I could think.. more to come I'm sure :)

More speculation on the Tesla Model Y visualized with unofficial renderings

upload_2016-6-3_11-1-55.png

tesla-model-y-unofficial-2.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-3_11-2-20.png
    upload_2016-6-3_11-2-20.png
    729.5 KB · Views: 41
Might be a bit of an overstatement for an EV, especially a Tesla, considering the interior space of the S compared to the X.

May a bit of an overstatment it is just that liftbacks and hatchbacks are so much more flexible when you need to carry things.
Both my adult kids started off with sedans and quickly realized they had to call dad when they needed to carry stuff. Their next cars weren't sedans:)