Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We will need a lot more Service Centers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla can solve its service center dilemma by partnering with another company that already has a nationwide footprint.

Establishing and maintaining stand-alone service centers all over the country would be very expensive. Having a couple technicians assigned to each service center of a nationwide facility or two (e.g., PepBoys) would be much cheaper and could be put in place relatively quickly. Most of the basic repair needs (lifts, tire equipment, warehousing etc.) would already exist. Maybe Tesla could even partner with Chevy... :eek:

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Tesla can solve its service center dilemma by partnering with another company that already has a nationwide footprint.

Establishing and maintaining stand-alone service centers all over the country would be very expensive. Having a couple technicians assigned to each service center of a nationwide facility or two (e.g., PepBoys) would be much cheaper and could be put in place relatively quickly. Most of the basic repair needs (lifts, tire equipment, warehousing etc.) would already exist. Maybe Tesla could even partner with Chevy... :eek:

While I appreciate the notion of leveraging existing infrastructure for any mass market vehicle platform, let me be as clear as possible: The day Tesla partners with the antichrist (GM) is the day I sell all TSLA shares and vehicle(s) and patiently wait for the ride/car sharing revolution to arrive.

While I appreciate the notion of leveraging existing infrastructure for any mass market vehicle platform, let me be as clear as possible: The day Tesla partners with the antichrist (GM) is the day I sell all TSLA shares and vehicle(s) and patiently wait for the ride/car sharing revolution to arrive.

I agree with you there, but a partnership with carmax seems like a match made in heaven. Taking ICE trade-ins, servicing Teslas. Nationwide!

One service center in the Denver area right now seems a bit..low considering there were hundreds of us in line Thursday morning. Not sure doubling the number will fix things.
Not only is it not enough for Denver there were a lot of people from other parts of the state there and even some people in from Wyoming. As far as I know there is no other service centers in Colorado or Wyoming and only one store in Colorado (by law). It will not be enough.

I think that what Tesla needs is a lot less maintenance, not more places that perform maintenance. They still haven't delivered on the electric car promise of substantially reduced maintenance. Granted that my Roadster is more a science project than a production car, but it has needed way more service than our Leaf. In general, the Model S had has its share of problems like drivetrain replacements and door handles. I believe that the Model 3 will increase the quality through reduced complexity, learning from years of production and not pushing the limits as much. Ideally, the average person should be able to buy a Model 3 and not go visit a service center for 5 years.
Amen! Just thinking about paying for a brake fluid replacement at 30K miles irritates me no end, just to keep a warranty current. Feels like fleecing to me!!

Reactions: dhrivnak
I agree with you there, but a partnership with carmax seems like a match made in heaven. Taking ICE trade-ins, servicing Teslas. Nationwide!

Ugh, compared to a dealer, the Carmax service experience is pretty poor. (Don't get me wrong, I love buying cars from them). I consider Tesla a luxury brand, so I would expect a service experience like I get at Lexus, Acura, or Audi. That is not the experience you get at the Carmax service center.

And they aren't much more common than Tesla SCs. My nearest Carmax is a good 63 miles from my house. The SC is actually closer to me.

FWIW I had my driver door locks fail (what a surprise!). I called Dallas SC on Friday 4pm and I was asked to come the next day morning at 10. I came out of the place an hour and half later with the locks replaced.

And during the time I was there that place, although a Saturday, it was pretty quiet with no Model S in the service bay, two X hoisted up on the jack, and three new X deliveries.

They were nice enough to have someone come for a test drive with me to check on a (very) low speed whine and mild wind noise, even though that was not an item in my appt. Another gentleman took time to demo the summon in my car.

I have another appt to look into those issues and when I looked at their calendar there were plenty of open spots everyday indicating they were no way near being overhwhelmed. That is definitely a good sign that S issues are under control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: plankeye and Luke42
these threads seem to go downhill quickly the more replies they get. Tesla isn't going to partner with Carmax. The service centers are a bit of a problem currently, but there's a few reasons... Model X has some early issues that needed to get addressed and got pushed up ahead of S's. Model S's still have some early issues that need to get ironed out. Tesla is trying to make a profit, so they are holding up servicing a bit more. Tesla is going to massively simplify the Model 3 so that it shouldn't need trips to a SC. There's going to be some early hiccups as usual, but I don't see it being an issue. Of course they are going to open more SC in the future. SC for Tesla are not profitable so there's no reason to think they're going to sink a ton of money into them early on. it's one of those things you're just going to have to deal with for a bit.

Not only is it not enough for Denver there were a lot of people from other parts of the state there and even some people in from Wyoming. As far as I know there is no other service centers in Colorado or Wyoming and only one store in Colorado (by law). It will not be enough.

Tesla will need to separate the notion of the "Store" combined with the "Service Center" in states where the dealer laws prohibit / limit stores and open "Service Only" centers. Virginia is currently the same way as Colorado. Richmond, Roanoke, Charlottesville, and Tidewater are serviced out of Tysons, 3-6 hours away.

Amen! Just thinking about paying for a brake fluid replacement at 30K miles irritates me no end, just to keep a warranty current. Feels like fleecing to me!!

Lack of service manuals, and DIY accessible parts in the future will kill the resale values of these vehicles. The notion of using dealer service for the life of the car past warranty might fly for the S and X, but not the ownership base for cheaper models.

I totally agree with you. I've never paid for a brake flush. $70 for a Motive Power Bleeder and 30 minutes. Magnuson Moss says I can and retain warranty compliance in the US.

Lack of service manuals, and DIY accessible parts in the future will kill the resale values of these vehicles. The notion of using dealer service for the life of the car past warranty might fly for the S and X, but not the ownership base for cheaper models.

I totally agree with you. I've never paid for a brake flush. $70 for a Motive Power Bleeder and 30 minutes. Magnuson Moss says I can and retain warranty compliance in the US.

+1

I noticed this job posting. Omaha does not have a service center but Kansas City does. Could this be how they will have Service in every major metro area? They have a local guy and when major problems happen they take it to a major service hub. I am not sure if they would need a full service station in Omaha right now.

That's how they handle things now in many areas. New Orleans has a "permanent" Ranger (more than one actually) who live in New Orleans and service most of our needs in the area.

However, since Tesla has started charging $3/mile for a Ranger visit (even to those of us with no reasonable service center access) and there are some repairs/services that just can't be accomplished in the customers' garage (thus requiring a service center visit) it is quickly becoming a less attractive way to get service (for me anyway).

They need to work hard at getting more Service Centers open. I feel certain that no matter how good the car is that if getting it repaired or serviced is not up to par with the driving experience Tesla is going to lose customers.

Believe it or not in some states the crap the dealers are pulling is actually helping to get service centers into the state.

My state recently put a bill in motion to prevent sales and postponed it, the biggest argument was lack of service center ... Coincidentally Tesla now plans to build a service center in Indiana.

Yes service manuals would be VERY helpful for those of us hundreds of miles from a service center. I have been able to buy one for other cars I have owned

Reactions: Luke42
Nope. Tesla still needs a lot more places that perform maintanence. Specifically, Tesla needs *geographic coverage*.
Nope. I want a car that does not require a dealership or service center.

Twelve years and 3 Toyota Prius (Lexus, wagon and classic) later, I have been to the dealership for one recall and one stalled car that required a software update. I figure Tesla can update OTA, so I look forward to around one SC visit a decade.

Reactions: M0DEL³ and Luke42
another issue with getting a Tesla vehicle is that Tesla car parts are only available from Tesla. So if you get into a fender bender, you can't go to a 3rd party workshop where they can source for cheap parts replacement like other car manufacturer does; you have to go back to Tesla to get parts replaced. I guess this will not only increase the cost of your insurance but will also add to the workload of Tesla's workshops.