Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We will need a lot more Service Centers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's see ..
  1. Honda Fit is two years old and has never seen a dealership
  2. Toyota Prius (v)agon is 3.5 years old and has never seen a dealerhip
  3. Now deceased Toyota Prius Gen2 was with us 11 years and was at the dealership twice.
EM wants Tesla cars to be the best, period. He starts from a simpler platform mechanically, and Tesla has OTA updates. I think he would agree with me.

I do however very much agree with you that shop manuals be made available.
So, you don't do any maintenance on the ICE engines in your Honda or Toyotas?
My understanding is that they require regular oil, transmission and other fluid changes at a minimum.

My understanding is that they require regular oil, transmission and other fluid changes at a minimum.

Most of those are DIY and/or available at a 3rd party service location. For some of us, the expectation is that service manuals and DIY parts will be available to avoid trips (read: expensive) to the Tesla Service Center.

Reactions: SageBrush
I am surprised we don't see more Supercharges at Service Centers. It's my opinion that much of the grief in setting up a new Supercharger is site selection, site planning, city/town approvals. The Supercharge hardware is the easy part.

Tesla wouldn't have to do much of anything in the way of approvals, etc. Just install on their own property. Yes, these might not be ideally located for long distance travel but it would help and it's low-hanging fruit.

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
Maintenance is performed above and beyond the manufacturer recommendation. I'm a bit manic about it but have gotten pretty efficient: About 5 minutes every month and ~ two hours twice a year per car.

Monthly:
All fluids checked and topped off as needed
Tyre Pressures set

Bi-yearly
Tyres rotated every 10k miles
Partial Engine Coolant exchange in the hybrid once a year, inverter coolant every 50k miles
Oil and filter exchange: the lessor of every 10k miles or once a year
Wiper blades before each winter
Good cleaning after each winter
Brake pads checked
Engine air and cabin filters checked and replaced as needed

Any other 50k or 100k recommended maintenance is fit into my bi-yearly schedule.

Deceased only meant sold ;-)

Last edited:
It might result in taxing an already over-taxed service center.

Just imagine if you were charging and you were like "oh yeah, I'll go in and see if they have time to address this little thing I noticed. . . . "
There's a solar powered Supercharger station at the Rocklin, CA service center which I visit regularly since it's at the foothills of the Sierras on my way home.
They are always happy to see me and always offer me refreshments when I stop.

Most of those are DIY and/or available at a 3rd party service location. For some of us, the expectation is that service manuals and DIY parts will be available to avoid trips (read: expensive) to the Tesla Service Center.
Well, for my Tesla, I've replaced the wiper blades and changed my tires myself. I haven't changed the brake fluid yet but brake fluid is readily available.
What else is there?

Well, for my Tesla, I've replaced the wiper blades and changed my tires myself. I haven't changed the brake fluid yet but brake fluid is readily available.
If the brakes are similar to those in a Prius, you should think many times over before trying to maintain them without a manual. The parallel integrated regen system makes for a complicated story. There are no lack of Prius owners who ended up towing their cars to the dealership after a brake maintenance/repair misadventure because they wrongly assumed that it would be just like an ICE car.

OTOH, brake fluid can last a lot longer in an *EV than an ICE, all else being equal. I have dipsticks that measure water and pH of brake fluid that I use rather than a set interval for brake flushes.

What else is there?

12V battery, brake pads / rotors, battery coolant, cabin air.

The prepaid service plans seem overpriced for simple maintenance. Now out of fairness, the Audi plan was way overpriced as well for routine items.

12V battery, brake pads / rotors, battery coolant, cabin air.

The prepaid service plans seem overpriced for simple maintenance. Now out of fairness, the Audi plan was way overpriced as well for routine items.

Having an Audi....supposedly their plan pays for itself at the 36,000 mile checkup.

But again, being an ICE, that service is way more involved than any scheduled maintenance in a Tesla would be.

Nope. Tesla still needs a lot more places that perform maintanence. Specifically, Tesla needs *geographic coverage*.

If the vehicles require less maintenance, that means that the New York City service center can have fewer employees. Maybe it can have three employees instead of 50. Great. But Tesla still ABSOLUTELY REQUIRES a service center in Syracuse, NY. So that when something does go wrong -- which hopefully should be rare -- the customer can *get to the service center* in reasonable amount of time.

This is necessary. Very few people will buy a car if they're *four hours away* from the nearest repair shop, *even if* they don't expect to need any repairs. The free Ranger service would have addressed this... but it turned out to cost Tesla way too much and they cancelled it. Which means they *must* have geographic distribution of service centers.
What? The Ranger program was canceled? Just in NY, or everywhere?

The *free* (or prepaid) ranger service program was cancelled, except for those of us who were grandfathered in. For new customers, you can get ranger service, if you want to pay the price of a new car in transportation charges if you have several service calls. :p

Tesla can't sell cars in areas remote from the service centers under these conditions; it's already creating negative word-of-mouth. They'd better build the additional service centers ASAP.

Well, I don't know where to put the new stuff in and drain the old stuff out.
Yeah, that would make it more difficult.

Hopefully Google knows; I'd hate to think that not one Model S owner has bothered to ask or pay attention at the SC and then post somewhere on the interwebs.

Addendum: This link says the system is (freon-like) based, like an air conditioner, and a schematic of a Tesla patent is shown.

Anybody know how to top off refrigerant ?

Last edited: