Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weak A/C in Model S Test Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends on how heat soaked the interior was. IF it had been sitting outside in the sun at 95, that is certainly possible.....plus you were also getting heat from the sun while driving.My experience with two MS and two M3 is that they recover very quickly, and I live in 110 all summer.

Premium tint makes a huge difference. I live in AZ with ambient temps hitting 115+ in the summer. I have a Raven S and the AC works great. Your test drive car was probably heat soaked without tint. Definitely factor in $ post purchase for tint!

I think the car does a pretty good job of cooling down the large cabin quickly, even in high temperatures when stationary. My car has no aftermarket tint. I have tan seats which might help a bit. That said, "high temperature" for me is the mid 90s.

I have found that occasionally it gets lazy and lets the temperature creep up well above the set point. Dropping the set point a degree "wakes" the system and cools things back down quickly.

I test drove a Model S Performance the other day. Temp outside was 95. Air from the vents was just cool and it took nearly the full 15 minutes during the test drive to cool the inside of the car. Is this normal?

How old was the car? Are you implying a new 2020 model S performance?

It makes a difference how many people are inside the car. How many were in for the test drive?

It also makes a difference if you have it set at 68 or 62. Setting it at 62 (or low) will increase the fan speed considerably.

Every car I have ever owned after having sitting in the sun for hours seems like the A/C has just failed, but it takes time for the cold air to first absorb the heat from the 110 degree ducting before it actually starts feeling cold. I am sure putting the system on low will also recirculate the air instead of cooling the hot fresh air which also speeds things up.

I don't know if you own a Tesla already but that is the beauty of owning one; you tell it to cool 10 minutes before you get in it and it is never an issue.