Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weak air flow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wratran

Model S and X
Feb 17, 2019
Dallas
I was driving home from work. My AC was set at full blast (11) to get the car cool quickly...then lowered back down to 3/4.

After a while ...it was getting hotter in the car...so I increase the fan speed to higher level...but noticed the air coming out still stay very low....try setting max AC level w/ re-circulation on-off...auto on-off....but that didn’t make a difference in airflow.

I can hear the fan blower increase speed but airflow doesn’t increase....air still feel cold...

Any suggestions?

I was driving home from work. My AC was set at full blast (11) to get the car cool quickly...then lowered back down to 3/4.

After a while ...it was getting hotter in the car...so I increase the fan speed to higher level...but noticed the air coming out still stay very low....try setting max AC level w/ re-circulation on-off...auto on-off....but that didn’t make a difference in airflow.

I can hear the fan blower increase speed but airflow doesn’t increase....air still feel cold...

Any suggestions?
Hey, I came upon this post today while it was 99 degrees outside and air from my vents was blowing cool at a velocity that was barely noticeable. (2014 Model S) This started after the main vehicle system took a long time to turn on after sitting unplugged outside during lunch
After rebooting the car twice (scroll wheels and brake pedal reboot), everything started working normally.
I hope this helps someone else.

I have a similar issue in my 2016 face lifted Model S - whether hot or cold, after about 1-2 hours of continuous use (ie: on a trip going somewhere, not just around town driving) the car will start to get hot or cold (depending on the weather outside). The air flow feels greatly diminished and changing the fan speed does very little. I hear the fan increase in speed, but not much more air flows. I have tried all settings, multiple reboots, and the only thing that seems to work somewhat is to direct the air to the dash vents. After I get where I am going and the car sits for a while, it is ok. Same behavior every time.

For example, today I was in the car with the fan on 4 and temp on 67 for about 1.5 hours, had the air flowing from the top, middle and bottom. Outside temp about about 33 degrees and steady. Things were good. Wife and I started getting cold, very little air flowing. Put it on auto and upped the temp to 72, didn't fix. Manually turned up fan speed to 7 - nothing. Put heat to 75, fan speed on 8 and put it out the dash vents for about and 30 minutes, then back down to speed 6 for the rest of the trip so we wouldn't get cold.

I have brought it Tesla 3 times about this issue (along with other things) and it always checks out ok, no trouble found. They can't take the car for that much of an extended drive to recreate the problem. Very frustrating.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO