TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Weak AM Reception

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Strib, Mar 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Strib

Strib Member

Almost have my new 2008 1.5 in ship shape. Mine has the JVC KD-NX5000 option radio, but I notice that my usual local AM stations are very weak, 'staticy', and what I mostly hear is whine from the electronics. Do others experience this, or is my antenna cable partly disconnected?

2. JohnGarziglia

Completely normal, and there is nothing that can be done about it. It is the combination of a lack of noise damping and filtering on the roadster motor and associated electronics, and the lack of a metal body and frame acting as a ground plance for the antenna. BMW, in building its electric i3 and i8, omitted the AM radio completely for simiar reasons.

3. Strib

Strib Member

Thanks. Somehow I think I'll find a way to get along without it.

4. bolosky

bolosky Member

There was an upgrade to the AM antenna that they did as a service bulletin many years ago, but it may have been "only if the customer complains." It changed my AM reception from useless to just pretty bad. You could ask the Tesla service folks if it's been installed on your car, and if not if they can still do it.

That said, even with it you shouldn't expect too much.

5. paulwesterberg

Have you checked for internet streams of those stations?

6. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

LOL, the best way to improve the Roadster radio is to turn it off.

In all seriousness, I find it is most useful when you are parked, due to the noisy cabin.

8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The only thing I listen to in my 1.5 is music or podcasts from my iPhone, and that can be a challenge due to the interior noise level. Sometimes I don't bother and just listen to the subtle whine of the motor.

I've never tried listening to the radio, but then I have not listened to the radio in any car for at least five years now. I am surprised AM radio still exists.