Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weak AM Reception

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost have my new 2008 1.5 in ship shape. Mine has the JVC KD-NX5000 option radio, but I notice that my usual local AM stations are very weak, 'staticy', and what I mostly hear is whine from the electronics. Do others experience this, or is my antenna cable partly disconnected?

Almost have my new 2008 1.5 in ship shape. Mine has the JVC KD-NX5000 option radio, but I notice that my usual local AM stations are very weak, 'staticy', and what I mostly hear is whine from the electronics. Do others experience this, or is my antenna cable partly disconnected?
Completely normal, and there is nothing that can be done about it. It is the combination of a lack of noise damping and filtering on the roadster motor and associated electronics, and the lack of a metal body and frame acting as a ground plance for the antenna. BMW, in building its electric i3 and i8, omitted the AM radio completely for simiar reasons.

There was an upgrade to the AM antenna that they did as a service bulletin many years ago, but it may have been "only if the customer complains." It changed my AM reception from useless to just pretty bad. You could ask the Tesla service folks if it's been installed on your car, and if not if they can still do it.

That said, even with it you shouldn't expect too much.

The only thing I listen to in my 1.5 is music or podcasts from my iPhone, and that can be a challenge due to the interior noise level. Sometimes I don't bother and just listen to the subtle whine of the motor.

I've never tried listening to the radio, but then I have not listened to the radio in any car for at least five years now. I am surprised AM radio still exists.