Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weaker regenerative braking with 2019.36.2.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It can't be my imagination, but since I enabled the new regen mode that just came out, set it all the way down to stop my X likes to coast alot more. FYI I still have the standart regen set. Anyone else? I'm using more brake pedal now than before.

When it is cold, regen is partially disabled because cold batteries can't accept the large influx of power. I see you are in Virginia, I am as well. I recently got that update and it got really cold pretty much the next day or the day after, so I have not been able to use the hold feature hardly at all and have been coasting other than at very low speeds.

• Helpful
Reactions: BZM3 and EA500
I don't believe this is actually true - I think there is something in that update.
Since that update, I've had days of 75+ and it's still doing that reduced regeneration thing. I've never used my brakes as much - even when it was snowing in Feb / March I didn't have the substantially reduced regeneration. Very annoyed by it.

• Informative
Reactions: Valtor
That makes perfect sense. I keep the car in a heated garage but the cold snap happened at the same time as the update. Thanks and glad I'm not going nuts.

Take a look at your consumption gauge and see if there are yellow dashes in the regen area and even a exclamation point. If either of these are present, the battery is too cold to accept much regen energy. And sometimes even when these indicators are not present, the battery will limit the regen a bit. But come Spring, the weather will warm and regen returns to normal.

BTW, when the battery is cold Supercharging rates are also lowered.

Reactions: EA500
I'm in FL. Temps are still in the 70's. I'm definitely hitting brake more than I used to.

I think regen without hold mode used to have an exponential curve to the braking amount, so its light initially then bites down a lot more till 5 mph then it coasts. It doesn't seem to bite as much anymore, causing me to coast further than I used to. This means I can't act like traffic normally does, I have to have even further distance between my car and the one ahead of me, or I have to apply brake.

Hold mode has a linear braking amount till the very end, so it doesn't help either.

Take a look at your consumption gauge and see if there are yellow dashes in the regen area and even a exclamation point. If either of these are present, the battery is too cold to accept much regen energy.

BTW, when the battery is cold Supercharging rates are also lowered.

The yellow dashes are there and I haven’t seen them in the past.

I too feel regen at speeds around 40-50 is weaker. It did coincide with lower temps. When I got the update I changed my settings from creep to the stop on regen mode. Have not thought to change back to see if regen at higher speeds influenced by that.

I too feel regen at speeds around 40-50 is weaker. It did coincide with lower temps. When I got the update I changed my settings from creep to the stop on regen mode. Have not thought to change back to see if regen at higher speeds influenced by that.

Regen is clearly reduced over what it used to be in 2018. I'm getting around 20kW capacity with the pack temperature at around 55F.

They're becoming more conservative with their cold charging limits over time. This is probably the 2nd or 3rd time I've see this happen through software updates over the last several years.

This has nothing to do with Model X in particular.

I discovered while testing today that regen is stronger when configured back the way it was before 2019.36.2.1, that is without the Hold setting.

You're just experiencing different pack temperatures.

Visible regen limiting now starts at 19.2C average cell temperature, vs 15C previously. Now around 15C, I have 20-30kW of regen capability. Additionally, preheating would actively heat the pack until 12C, and this so far even seems non-functional on the current fw. You would think they'd raise it to 19.2C, or even 15C, but of course not....

This is very aggressive and annoying and I look forward to a massive thread on TMC complaining about this.

I discovered while testing today that regen is stronger when configured back the way it was before 2019.36.2.1, that is without the Hold setting.

Same. I have the Model 3 in Florida, so cold weather isn’t an issue. When I set it to Hold Mode, I have to use my brake to slow the car. I switch it back to Roll Mode and regen is stronger. I’ve switch back and forth and am sure the regen is weaker in Hold Mode than Roll Mode.

I want to use Hold Mode but it make me use the brakes more, so it’s the opposite of one foot driving. I hope Tesla fixes those soon.

• Informative
Tesla appears to have gotten a bit more conservative about charging the batteries when they're cold. This manifests itself most prominently in regeneration behavior, which will be more limited than before until the battery warms up. On the plus side, this should result in better battery longevity.

Note: sharing this experience as a Model 3 owner. This may or may not apply to S & X, but I figured the info might be beneficial.

Same. I have the Model 3 in Florida, so cold weather isn’t an issue. When I set it to Hold Mode, I have to use my brake to slow the car. I switch it back to Roll Mode and regen is stronger. I’ve switch back and forth and am sure the regen is weaker in Hold Mode than Roll Mode.

I want to use Hold Mode but it make me use the brakes more, so it’s the opposite of one foot driving. I hope Tesla fixes those soon.

If the Model 3 adjustments were like the Model S/X, then just being in Florida doesn't solve the problem. Regen limiting starts long before it's displayed. I started feeling noticeable reduction as soon as the average ambient temperatures started falling under about 80F. This makes sense given that now my car will start displaying half limited regen at a whopping ~67F cell temperature.

• Informative
If the Model 3 adjustments were like the Model S/X, then just being in Florida doesn't solve the problem. Regen limiting starts long before it's displayed. I started feeling noticeable reduction as soon as the average ambient temperatures started falling under about 80F. This makes sense given that now my car will start displaying half limited regen at a whopping ~67F cell temperature.

I experience the same thing here in California. This year and last year. Even if no dashes are showing in the regen area, regen is reduced when it is coldish (60-50 or so) for hours during the night. That seems to cold soak the battery a bit. And, if you drive for 20 miles or so at highway speed regen is back at full strength. And when Spring come and it stays warmer at night the car has strong regen immediately.

You're just experiencing different pack temperatures.

Visible regen limiting now starts at 19.2C average cell temperature, vs 15C previously. Now around 15C, I have 20-30kW of regen capability. Additionally, preheating would actively heat the pack until 12C, and this so far even seems non-functional on the current fw. You would think they'd raise it to 19.2C, or even 15C, but of course not....

This is very aggressive and annoying and I look forward to a massive thread on TMC complaining about this.

Humm maybe, but I'm not convinced. My tests were all made at about -10 celcius outside temps just after exiting a heated garage (heated at 5 celcius). You can experience the difference live while driving, you just have to find an opportunity to quickly put the car in Park to change the mode from Hold to Roll and vice-versa. Drive a bit in between changing the settings. On my M3 RWD SR+ the difference is very noticeable. IMHO battery pack temps alone cannot explain this.