TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Weather, clock, and more in the browser

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by walla2, Dec 5, 2012.

1. walla2

walla2 Member

I know Teslatime started the concept. I am playing with browser features like weather, a clock, plug-share, valet instructions, tow instructions, etc.

Planning on having a Tesla style side panel with buttons like in Media and links to these features.

Here's a clock/weather view. Menu on the side to come.

tesla apps.jpg

That's a carbon fiber background and will be look for good options in plano, obeche, etc.

Feature requests and ideas are welcome.

Used to program and a bit rusty now so it will take some time to relearn the essentials and a lot has changed too (tips hat to current programmers).

2. JoshG

JoshG Member

This is great. Love TeslaTime and had hoped someone would make a portal like this for great-looking webapps.
    You've covered the biggies... but since you asked, next ones I'd pick would be:
    - sports ticker
    - stock ticker
    - Twitter client? (esp. if it can READ the tweets, but not sure if webapps have access to voice output, or if they ca use location data.
    - Sticky Notes app - leave post-it-type notes on your "dash" with things you need to remember.

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Very neat! I'd be happy with time and weather.

@JoshG: I've seen somewhere that Tesla has a sticky notes app, but not implemented yet.

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Very nice walla! Send us a "beta" link :)

5. STxTesla

STxTesla Sig #1278

+1 on the stock ticker. A personalized stock ticker would definitely be a nice gadget.

6. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

For weather, I'd love to have a decent interactive weather map. At least in my area of central NC, the storms have a tendency to move around pretty fast leading to very vague weather forecasts with the "chance of rain" usually way higher than reality.

Not sure how readily you could snag LAT/LON info, but given that and plugged into the Weather Underground's mobile data feed, could be pretty nifty!

Sample wunderground map around Fremont:

http://i.wund.com/auto/iphone/geo/TouchMap/index.html?lat=37.5&lon=-122.05

7. Zextraterrestrial

Nice. I think I need to start personalizing my car. Wish I knew some programming other than Fortran

I usually use Meteostar.wxweb for weather

8. goaliemanshark

Awesome idea! I think the clock should be more prevalent. This is a great solution!

9. walla2

walla2 Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm got a new domain name and plan to do some stuff this weekend when I am not driving/working. I hope to have a decent beta by the end of the week next week for users to login and configure their car stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions on stocks. Plans for now stocks, weather, clock, social (twitter (no computer voice reading), facebook), instructions, charging locations, sticky notes, customize background to close match interior, etc. The key is to make it look integrated as much as possible in my opinion and that will take the most time.

10. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

you can use the openchargemap.org chargingstations database
    it's free to use for every one making websites or apps

11. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Member

Not sure if it has been mentioned but it would be sweet if someone could get Apple Dashboard Widgets running somehow since they are mostly html / js.

12. Lyon

Lyon 2012 S P85, 2016 X P90D

This is incredibly badass! It's a simple enough concept but with huge potential. Carry on and let us know when it's available for the masses.

My only suggestion is that you allow personalization of the background to match the user's interior trim.

13. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Fortran?! Ha! Takes me back to PASCAL, COBOL, even Assembly. Man those we're the days!

@walla2 I second the notion of live weather maps as you drive, so you can see what you're headed for. But I'll bet other map people (Google, Apple, Waze) are working on this.

14. walla2

walla2 Member

I have built that in as well as having non-trim options like the one at teslatime.

Sadly my "apps" won't GPS track. Likely SDK options will allow this someday. Once wifi is available, more options might present themselves but obviously wifi is limited.

As an update, I'll likely have something real to share by this Sunday for beta testers. I got several already and more are welcome, just PM me if you haven't already.

15. tomanik

tomanik Member

Curious, how long does the web browser take to load and render these webapps? Only have limited experience with the Model S web browser in the store but it always seemed very slow to load/render web pages.

16. walla2

walla2 Member

I finished most of the site and it's ready for testing.

You can register and start using the site a teslamods.com..

It's in beta and color options / graphics are to change with time as well as new additions and refinement of some of the features.

17. Zextraterrestrial

cool, I'll need to go to my car and try it. Works good from my desktop

18. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

Is it possible to open TM and TMC in a new Tab? or is this not suported?
    Or open those sites with your clock....... buttons still on the left side (or on top)

19. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

The Model S browser only has one "tab" so it doesn't make any difference.

20. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

I saw you used openchargemap! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Do you want it mentioned on the openchargemap site, or you rather want to wait?

If you want more info about the database or want your app added to the site you can leave a message here Open Charge Map - Discussions

or you can suggest or help with new features you would like that be added to it
    Via twitter @openchargemap you can get more info too