TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Blog Weather May Push Back Monday's Falcon 9 Mission

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by TMC Staff, Jun 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TMC Staff

The Air Force says weather conditions look questionable for Monday’s planned launch of a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket from Kennedy Space Center. Forecasters said Friday that there’s only a 40 percent chance of favorable conditions for the two-hour launch window starting at 2:10 p.m. Tuesday carries a similar forecast. The rocket will launch the BulgariaSat 1 communications satellite....
    READ ARTICLE

2. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

The weather wasn't good but a faulty fairing valve did cause a delay. 6/23 or 6/24 is the next possibility.

• Informative x 1
  3. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

#3 mkjayakumar, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    If there is no rendezvous with another moving space object, then I would tend to think there should be a launch window every day?

So I don't quite understand the need to postpone by several days, unless of course the weather is expected to be bad till then.

• Like x 1
  4. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Sometimes it's a coordination thing. You have a lot of agencies that need to come together to allow for a launch to happen. So there is usually a launch date and a backup launch date. Sometimes that is 24 hours. In this case it finalized as Saturday with a backup of Monday. So when Monday was dropped SpaceX had to reset with the various agencies and I'm sure that weather was included in the consideration.

5. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Thank you. So it is not all about technical and orbital mechanics.

• Like x 1