Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weather stripping protectant

Mutant

Oct 20, 2020
Waterloo, ON
Wait until the weather stripping and gaskets start to dry rot and shrink in a few years. Scratch that. Almost forgot that most on here will offload their current-gen EVs before that happens.

That's why Model 3/Y owners should periodically apply a rubber seal conditioner such as Nextzett Gummi Pflege (Gummi Pflege Rubber Care Stick) in order to condition and maintain the critical seals in a frameless door design.

Adam3

Oct 4, 2015
USA
That's why Model 3/Y owners should periodically apply a rubber seal conditioner such as Nextzett Gummi Pflege (Gummi Pflege Rubber Care Stick) in order to condition and maintain the critical seals in a frameless door design.

Yep. It also prevents the rubber from cracking which can happen quite fast, particularly for the parts that are exposed to the sun/elements. Nextzett is great, as is 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Perscitus

Jan 29, 2019
New York
Indeed, been using that Nextzett product for decades... back when the brand name was still Einszett and originally only sold in Bundesrepublik Deutschland during West Germany days.

This 303 equivalent works great too:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T44D1R2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_oOYNFbZ66FNWD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The issue is most on here and almost all off here will never use this. Instead, trade in or sell their run-down Model 3/Ys in a few years.

Pemple

Sep 10, 2020
US
Indeed, been using that Nextzett product for decades... back when the brand name was still Einszett and originally only sold in Bundesrepublik Deutschland during West Germany days.

This 303 equivalent works great too:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T44D1R2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_oOYNFbZ66FNWD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The issue is most on here and almost all off here will never use this. Instead, trade in or sell their run-down Model 3/Ys in a few years.
You seem to be upset that folks might not keep their cars until they can appear on the antiquities roadshow special. I’ve found that most people in this forum care (possibly too) passionately about their Teslas, not sure that anyone is abusing them unnecessarily. Fwiw, I like the idea of conditioning the rubber but that’s maybe just a fetish.

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine
I use Gummi Pflege, but I'm not concerned about having the seals prematurely age. I figure in a few years, they'll have a version 2 or 3 of the seals, that seal better than the original ones. They already have new side windows that are "acoustic" laminated, and might be retrofittable.

Sparky4life

Jul 20, 2018
San Jose, CA
Wait until the weather stripping and gaskets start to dry rot and shrink in a few years. Scratch that. Almost forgot that most on here will offload their current-gen EVs before that happens.

My M3 is 2.5 years old (44k miles) and is always parked in the sun. I've never done anything to the seals. They look fine to me and no water gets in when I wash with the pressure washer. What should I be looking for?

Perscitus

Jan 29, 2019
New York
Move from CA to AZ, UT, NM, etc.
Wait another 3-6+ years and it will become self-evident.

Google search for aged weatherstripping and door seals on frameless window cars.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC