Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weatherproof UMC extension lead reel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any recommendations for a weatherproof 25m+ extension reel to keep in the boot with the UMC please?
Current Weatherproof reel cover doesn't close because the UMC cable is too thick and have a weatherproof box but have the same issue!

I got a 25m one of these - great cable not had any issues with it.

If you are using a lead that is 20m+ I would suggest you should get a 2.5mm2 cable such as :
unless you are using it often I would suggest just winding around your arm then putting in a bag. A reel suitable for that size of cable is going to add a lot of bulk and some weight.
don't get a 1.5mm2 for that length
I would also recommend a waterproof box such as this one that I have.
That will fit the whole UMC, plug and extension lead socket. rather than risk any water ingress. Its not big enough to hold the 25m cable though sadly when not using it.

in case you are concerned (since they say not to use an extension lead at all) I recently charged for a week with a 30m cable similar to that and it was fine. just make sure you fully unwind it even if you don't need all of it and that the socket you are plugging it into is in good condition

Reactions: m3p_uk and PaulMD
I got a 25m one of these - great cable not had any issues with it.

I second that suggestion. A great product and great customer service. Plenty of pictures (though you'll see I'm doing something different with the lead) and more waffle from me in this thread: Starting to Have My Doubts (About Leasing an M3) and We've Not Even Seen the Car Yet I've been using it as my primary way of charging the Tesla (and it is, technically, an extension lead) and I've not had an issue with it yet.

I was going to mention perhaps getting a dribox for your portable charging needs as well, but someone has beaten me to it. ;)

Cheers all, was after a reel as it's much easier to wind back up particularly when dirty. Always would be fully unwound as well.
Have a drybox type box but it's designed for normal cable thickness and the UMC is much thicker than this so doesn't work well at the moment.
With the drybox does the UMC brick also fit in there?

Cheers all, was after a reel as it's much easier to wind back up particularly when dirty. Always would be fully unwound as well.

Don't under estimate the differences between H07RN-F cable and domestic cable found on reels. The H07RN-F cable will quickly and neatly gather and stow compactly but if you do want a reel, then they are available from ToughLeads - Cable reel

Adrian at toughleads is really helpful and you may want to discuss the implications of wanting a 25m length over 20m and cable sizing and the implications of that. He really knows his stuff and will give an open and honest view. Also worth discussing the use of a drybox as his sockets are IP66 rated (more weatherproof than the UMC) so probably wouldn't warrant the need unless you wanted to use it for the UMC - again, has implications for ventilation.

Reactions: DigbyChicken