Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weatherstripping Coming off Leading Door Inside Edges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
2021 (actually December 2020) Classic Model X. Made in Fremont, California plant. Purchased new in March 2021. Weather is Mediterannean-like (hot dry summers; mild, lately mostly dry winters)

A couple of weeks ago I first noticed that most of the (right) passenger-side door front weatherstripping piece had become detached and was hanging loose in front of the hinges. Then found that the left-side piece was also detached, at the bottom. Since the car has low mileage and hasn't received any kind of mistreatment or adverse weather, I can only surmise that a poor grade of adhesive was used, or not enough of it. Anyone else experience this problem?

These particular flexible plastic/rubber strips appear intended to seal the front, leading edges of the doors from moisture/wind. So they're important.

I was going to schedule service, but to save time I thought I would see if I cleaned the adhesive off and replaced it with a good 3M double-sided foam tape product (e.g., Exterior Attachment Tape 38583) if that would hold the strips in place to the inside of the painted doors. If not, into service it goes.

Any advice/tips (as to product or methodology) appreciated.

Left Side Door - 1
Left Side Door - 2

Right Side Door - 1
Right Side Door - 2
Right Side Door - 3

Reactions: Nicebag
We have the exact same issue with our 2020 Model X, with the loose weather stripping on both sides and it being visible from outside the car. I haven’t created a service appointment yet, hoping this will be covered under warranty as it’s an obvious defect.

Thanks.

In my 1 1/2-years of experience, getting service from Tesla (or any car seller) can be a pain. The Tesla app is very robotic and impersonal. There is usually a lengthy delay. Naturally, not all issues can be dealt with by a Mobile Tech person. So you have to drive to the Service Center, arrange for a ride or wait, leave the car, etc., etc.

So for better or worse I have been taking the time to clean the rubber and painted surfaces (Goof-Off and 3M adhesive remover). But at least three issues make me hesitate to re-install the weatherstripping myself:
  1. Because of the location (inside the front door wells) the full strips of this weatherstripping can be difficult to fully and conveniently manipulate due to the hinges and wiring in the way. Even using a double-sided tape--as opposed to a viscous liquid in a tube--will probably be tricky so as not to mess up and apply the weatherstripping in exactly the right spot over its full length. The best overall method would probably be to temporarily remove the doors, but I do NOT want to attempt that myself.

2. 3M makes, like, a zillion professional and home adhesive/tape products. Even if you focus only on just its automotive (foam) tapes, there are a bunch of different choices. (And that is not counting other professional adhesive/tape manufacturers.) Because this application involves adhering a rubbery petroleum-containing plastic to a painted metal in a location that faces moisture, wind pressure, cleaning products, oil/grease (road grime), and variable ambient temperature extremes, I want to use the best, longest-lasting product available. (Which clearly Tesla forgot to do at its Fremont plant in December 2020.) And we all find that the best pro adhesive product is rarely available at your everyday stores. Also, finding a tape that from the start is the right width is important. (You do not want to be messing with trying to cut a length of foam tape in half lengthwise.)

3. A part of me (pride? ego?) really wants to fix this problem myself correctly, so it never re-occurs. Frankly, I am not convinced that behind the scenes Tesla Service will do that. But if I successfully fix this issue, it will still bug me that Tesla as a company learned absolutely no lesson about its need for better quality control.
So both avenues (taking the time and doing the work properly myself or having Tesla Service do it) are fraught with potential land mines.

What I was hoping for is that someone already experienced this exact problem, had it successfully fixed by Tesla, and could reveal all the tricks and details necessary to make sure the problem is permanently corrected.

I guess I will be that person if I can successfully deal with the problem.

Thanks.

In my 1 1/2-years of experience, getting service from Tesla (or any car seller) can be a pain. The Tesla app is very robotic and impersonal. There is usually a lengthy delay. Naturally, not all issues can be dealt with by a Mobile Tech person. So you have to drive to the Service Center, arrange for a ride or wait, leave the car, etc., etc.

So for better or worse I have been taking the time to clean the rubber and painted surfaces (Goof-Off and 3M adhesive remover). But at least three issues make me hesitate to re-install the weatherstripping myself:
  1. Because of the location (inside the front door wells) the full strips of this weatherstripping can be difficult to fully and conveniently manipulate due to the hinges and wiring in the way. Even using a double-sided tape--as opposed to a viscous liquid in a tube--will probably be tricky so as not to mess up and apply the weatherstripping in exactly the right spot over its full length. The best overall method would probably be to temporarily remove the doors, but I do NOT want to attempt that myself.

2. 3M makes, like, a zillion professional and home adhesive/tape products. Even if you focus only on just its automotive (foam) tapes, there are a bunch of different choices. (And that is not counting other professional adhesive/tape manufacturers.) Because this application involves adhering a rubbery petroleum-containing plastic to a painted metal in a location that faces moisture, wind pressure, cleaning products, oil/grease (road grime), and variable ambient temperature extremes, I want to use the best, longest-lasting product available. (Which clearly Tesla forgot to do at its Fremont plant in December 2020.) And we all find that the best pro adhesive product is rarely available at your everyday stores. Also, finding a tape that from the start is the right width is important. (You do not want to be messing with trying to cut a length of foam tape in half lengthwise.)

3. A part of me (pride? ego?) really wants to fix this problem myself correctly, so it never re-occurs. Frankly, I am not convinced that behind the scenes Tesla Service will do that. But if I successfully fix this issue, it will still bug me that Tesla as a company learned absolutely no lesson about its need for better quality control.
So both avenues (taking the time and doing the work properly myself or having Tesla Service do it) are fraught with potential land mines.

What I was hoping for is that someone already experienced this exact problem, had it successfully fixed by Tesla, and could reveal all the tricks and details necessary to make sure the problem is permanently corrected.

I guess I will be that person if I can successfully deal with the problem.

I did mine myself. Double sided tape is not the correct solution. Factory did not use double sided tape.

This is what I used.

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
The factory weather stripping is attached to the door using 3M double-sided tape (Red).
This exactly. My 2016 had drivers side partially off. Looked like grey foam double sided tape. Peeled it off, wiped with goof-off n put new 3M 1/4in tape.
We'll see how long it'll last but stuck pretty good right now.

I did mine myself. Double sided tape is not the correct solution. Factory did not use double sided tape.

This is what I used.

Definitely double sided tabpe on 2016...

This exactly. My 2016 had drivers side partially off. Looked like grey foam double sided tape. Peeled it off, wiped with goof-off n put new 3M 1/4in tape.
We'll see how long it'll last but stuck pretty good right now...

Definitely double sided tabpe on 2016...

I had the weather stripping on one of the front doors replaced on my 2022 by a mobile technician. The factory weather stripping is attached to the door using 3M double-sided tape (Red).

This is what I used.

Thanks, all.
  1. I agree (in principal) that the 3M weatherstripping adhesive (in the tube) may be an excellent choice. But only if you have clear and unfettered access to the full length of both surfaces. I want to point out that that even limited to just 3M liquid weatherstripping adhesive, there is more than one product to choose from. More importantly, applying a (viscous) liquid in a good bead along the full length of the inside door--with the door, its hinges, and the control wires still in place--would be difficult. (But admittedly, not impossible.)

I have not looked, but I assume it is like a contact cement--i.e., you apply it to both the painted metal and to the plastic weatherstrip and wait for the two surfaces to become tacky? And when you bring the two into contact, it instantly creates a strong bond? Or, instead, do you press the strip on to the metal when the adhesive is fully wet?

Either way would be very difficult (for me, at least)--threading the weatherstripping inside the door well past hinge assemblies and wires without the tacky adhesive touching anything, then slowly aligning and pressing down the weatherstrip along its entire length. It would be a lot easier if the door were disconnected on a work bench, but I do not want to attempt that job myself.

2. Based on removing the old adhesive layer, it sure looked to me like a double-sided tape. (It was too regular in width and depth to be a freely applied bead of just liquid). What I suspect is that in December 2020 in Fremont Tesla (for whatever reason) used the wrong adhesive-tape product. If you read the 3M specs, their various adhesives and tapes have all kinds of different characteristics and features. Some of the 2-sided tapes are very strong (intended for accessories subject to high stress, moisture, wind shear, low-high temperatures, etc.). I think the right tape can do the job.
So if I have Tesla make the final repair, I'll try to find out what product they intend to use. But if I do it myself, I am going to try a 1/4" wide 3M double-sided tape good for both painted metal and plastic. (There is even a 3M tape with two types of adhesive--one side for metal and one side for plastic.) If that fails after another year, it will be time for more drastic measures.

I had the weather stripping on one of the front doors replaced on my 2022 by a mobile technician. The factory weather stripping is attached to the door using 3M double-sided tape (Red).
It wasn’t on my 2019.

The strip I talking about I wouldn’t call weather stripping either. It was a flap that filled the gap between the front of the door and the fender. I think it’s just to prevent wind noise and dirt. It’s not a water tight seal.

Mobile coming out next week to fix mine. Both font doors have the issue.

I went ahead and "fixed" mine myself. We'll see if this "fix" actually works, or if I am going to be scheduling service.

I will eventually write up what I did, as it is a little tricky if it is your first time. (I'd be interested to watch a mobile tech make the repair. Liquid adhesive or tape? If it's a mobile service call, the doors remain on the car, I assume. So you have the hinges and electrical connection in the way. It helps to have small hands for this particular job.)

i did it with the fender off so it was easy :)
also like someone else said, i think its for noise/whistle prevention probably, not something u find on regular car...

Thanks for those photos. That project is a little more drastic than I would want to take on. :)

Yes, with a door's leading edge exposed (by having the door off the car or with the front fender panel removed) it would be a lot easier. You could more easily use the best liquid weatherstrip adhesive, or the strongest two-sided foam tape (without worring that the tape would prematurely adhere in the wrong spots while trying to position the plastic strip/flap around the hinges and wiring bundle. Definitely more of a challenge if the door is on the car and the fender is in place.

Reactions: brainhouston
Mobile service came out a few days ago and replaced ours within 30 minutes. He just ripped off the old one by hand and quickly applied the new ones.

Setting up an appointment was easy, I just stated body seal was loose via the app, and they came 2 days later with no push back or fanfare.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
Mobile service came out a few days ago and replaced ours within 30 minutes. He just ripped off the old one by hand and quickly applied the new ones.

Setting up an appointment was easy, I just stated body seal was loose via the app, and they came 2 days later with no push back or fanfare.
Did they have to remove the doors at all when removing/replacing the strips?