Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weathertech licence plate frame fit problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a classic blue and yellow personalized license plate going on my P3D; the plate is old and steel and I wanted to protect it as much as possible. This is the eighth car for the same plate!

I got a Weathertech ClearCover (actually transferred from my previous car) frame that has a clear plastic cover over the entire front of the plate, and a rubber seal against the plate. The problem I had was the frame is thick and hits the housing for the rear camera. To solve this, I removed the plastic plate holder from the trunk lid (2 torx screws) and slotted the screw holes up a little so the plate holder would ride a little lower. I also had to trim three little plastic ribs so the holder could move. It only needs a few mm down to work.

Fits fine now, clears the camera housing by a hair.
IMG_20190816_095351resized.jpg IMG_20190816_100344resized.jpg

I got a Weathertech ClearCover (actually transferred from my previous car) frame that has a clear plastic cover over the entire front of the plate, and a rubber seal against the plate.

My coworker got a ticket for a clear license plate cover in Roseville, CA....the initial stop was for a loud exhaust, but he eventually got a ticket for the exhaust, front window tint, no front plate and the clear cover over the rear plate.

My coworker got a ticket for a clear license plate cover in Roseville, CA....the initial stop was for a loud exhaust, but he eventually got a ticket for the exhaust, front window tint, no front plate and the clear cover over the rear plate.
Wow, land of freedom. Snarkiness aside I’m seriously shocked they didn’t impound it and jail him from what I’ve been told about Cali auto laws.