Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weathertech vs Tesla. Who has compared Model 3 cargo mats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess the Weathertech cargo mats are relatively new on the market. The Tesla mats have been out for a while. I've seen the Tesla mats and they seem pretty good. But the Frunk mat from tesla is $110 vs the Weathertech's $70. The rear mats from both companies cost the same $130.

I'll likely get the Weatehrtech for the Frunk just to have $40 in beer money (Just how much beer can we fit in the Frunk, anyway?) But what about in the rear? Has anybody compared the two mat offerings? Are there significant differences? I'm sure they both fit great. But what about material? Size of the lip? Configuration and/or shape? I'd love to hear any input on either product while I sit here ordering stuff before my AWD deliver which is gonna happen... any day now... maybe.

There is likely no practical difference in the rear mats. Maybe it just comes down to which logo I like the best?

Here are the mats in question:

2018 Tesla Model 3 | Cargo Mat and Trunk Liner for Cars SUVs and Minivans | WeatherTech
Front: $110 and Rear: $130

Model 3 All-Weather Cargo Mats
Front: $70 and Rear: $130

The Tesla all-weather mats ARE private-label branded Weathertechs... same mat. So its up to you whats more important. Price vs branding, etc.
No kidding? I clearly missed that memo. Well, that certainly makes the frunk mat purchase easy! Thanks for this.

I wonder where the huge frunk mat price discrepancy came from.

Last edited:
By the way, I think you have that wrong. By your links (and my understanding), it's the Tesla frunk mat that is cheaper. So you would be paying more for WeatherTech.
Yes, of course.... sigh. Too late to edit, but I meant to say that I'd go with the Tesla unit to save the $40. Gah. Sucks getting old. (swell! I even misspelled Weathertech when I meant to say Tesla!) If any mod wants to waste his or her time editing that slip-up in the OP, I'll be his or her best friend. :)

But honestly, the whole thread now makes me look like an idiot anyway, so there's really no reason...

(PS. Our cars will look identical, I guess. Except mine will likely say "dual motor" on the back. Or not... depending on how ugly the emblem is!)

Last edited:
I bought the TESLA all weather mats for $200 ($70 for the frunk and $130 for the trunk one) they look nice with the model 3 logo but I heard they scratch easy. still waiting to install my mats when my car arrives next week.

Sounds like we're all in agreement. :) .

I've had weathertechs in two previous cars, and love them. LOVE them. Pull that thing out after camping, dump out the crunchy stuff, hose them off... the original trunk carpet looks as good as new, and the liner just plops back in there ready to do it's thing some more.

I have to give Tesla some credit. The prices of their fabulous EVSEs and various accessories like this are so reasonable compared to some other automobile brands. Well done, Tesla.

Aaaaand I just placed my order with Tesla.

Last edited:
I have had the trunk mat from Tesla for a while - I haven't noticed if it scratches (and honestly don't car as that is why I bought it).

I just ordered the frunk mat this week and am waiting for it to arrive. I was freaking after reading the original post that I could have saved $40 by going through Weathertech but then realized I did pay $70 for it.

I have had the trunk mat from Tesla for a while - I haven't noticed if it scratches (and honestly don't car as that is why I bought it).
My feelings exactly. The mat takes all the abuse. When you want the cargo area to look pristine, you pull that mat out. Even replace it if needed... but right! The whole purpose of the mat is to get beat up.

I was freaking after reading the original post that I could have saved $40 by going through Weathertech but then realized I did pay $70 for it.
My apologies! Wish I could edit it.

My guess is that when somebody notices that Tesla is selling the same mat at a $40 savings over the Weathertech, that one or both of the prices will change. In the world of Tesla that's not a lot of money, but it sure is a large percentage difference for the same product!

My guess is that when somebody notices that Tesla is selling the same mat at a $40 savings over the Weathertech, that one or both of the prices will change. In the world of Tesla that's not a lot of money, but it sure is a large percentage difference for the same product!

I bought the trunk mat in April, back then there was already the difference in price for the frunk. As Tesla gets their mats from Weathertech, my fear that any price adjustment will be an increase in the Tesla branded mats.

I bought the trunk mat in April, back then there was already the difference in price for the frunk. As Tesla gets their mats from Weathertech, my fear that any price adjustment will be an increase in the Tesla branded mats.
It's possible and I don't have the frunk mat so take that FWIW, but isn't it a pretty small mat? $70 already seems decently pricey for basically a luggage sized rubber mat. The rear one at $130 I can understand because that's a much larger piece. Just an observation.

It's possible and I don't have the frunk mat so take that FWIW, but isn't it a pretty small mat? $70 already seems decently pricey for basically a luggage sized rubber mat. The rear one at $130 I can understand because that's a much larger piece. Just an observation.
Right. Small mat from Tesla is $70. If that is a "decent" price, then $110 for the Weathertech logo tips into absurd.

I'm thinking there's some significant margin in these. :rolleyes: But! They are great quality, and I'm happy to pay for stuff that's good. (thus the Tesla Model 3 order, natch).

Last edited:
The Tesla-branded Weathergaurd cargo mats arrived (Arrived one day after purchase!) They look great. And thank god, they even come with installation instructions!

Attachments

• IMG_2717.JPG
    IMG_2717.JPG
    331.4 KB · Views: 832
  • Funny
Reactions: TT97
I haven’t taken delivery of my 3 but I’m thinking of buying these to put in right away when i get the car. For anyone with the trunk mat, does it make access to the additional storage underneath difficult? I would think that removing that to access underneath could get annoying.

I haven’t taken delivery of my 3 but I’m thinking of buying these to put in right away when i get the car. For anyone with the trunk mat, does it make access to the additional storage underneath difficult? I would think that removing that to access underneath could get annoying.
I have the trunk mat and it does not block access to the lower rear storage...there's a little area so you can still get at the loop to pull up the storage door and the mat just flexes up with the storage door.

I emailed WeatherTech last week, and they said they are "working" on Model 3 floor liners, but wouldn't confirm an availability date. Assuming Tesla OEMs the floor liners to match the cargo liners, I will probably go with the "Model 3" logo over the WeatherTech logo. I have floor liners in both of my other cars, and can confirm that they are excellent (coverage and quality wise) compared to any other all weather mat I have used over the years.