Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Web App for Viewing TeslaCam Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to work fine on my MacBook Air 2017 running the latest Mojave version, except when I select 10x where it just shows the first couple of frames and then the images freeze while the progress slider continues advancing.

It's possible the CPU and/or browser can't keep up with the video playback at that speed. I looked at the Activity Monitor on my 2014 MacBook Pro when playing the video 10x speed in Chrome - and the browser used 4 times or more CPU playing at faster rate. However, it did still play.

I also just tried in Firefox - which seemed to use a LOT more CPU than Chrome. Firefox topped out around 2 full CPU while Chrome was about 1 CPU. The videos in the first timestamp in the series also froze with the progress bar continuing. When it jumped to the next timestamp in the list - the videos were playing fine. So probably a combination of video encoding quality and browser/CPU usage slowing things down.

Jeff

It's possible the CPU and/or browser can't keep up with the video playback at that speed. I looked at the Activity Monitor on my 2014 MacBook Pro when playing the video 10x speed in Chrome - and the browser used 4 times or more CPU playing at faster rate. However, it did still play.

I also just tried in Firefox - which seemed to use a LOT more CPU than Chrome. Firefox topped out around 2 full CPU while Chrome was about 1 CPU. The videos in the first timestamp in the series also froze with the progress bar continuing. When it jumped to the next timestamp in the list - the videos were playing fine. So probably a combination of video encoding quality and browser/CPU usage slowing things down.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. I'll try an alternate browser and let you know if I get similar results to yoursl

Patrick

Hey --
I have a Samsung Portable SSD T5 500Gb. Its partitioned into 400Gb for TeslaCam and 100Mb for music with MSDOS on a MacBook Pro.
Seems to record video fine. I have a 2.5 3. The clips play time as files.

TeslaCam Video WebApp Player can see the files, and will 'load' them, and shows them as file names, but does not play them.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
Work well on my new Samsung phone and the app. I will try different browser. Thx.

Now just need support for v10 rear camera files...

Just updated the site about the time you posted. :)

Updated the site to allow for rear camera in Tesla v10 release! Also a few layout improvements and background enhancements.

Some of the latest videos from Sentry Mode play best in Safari, Firefox, or Microsoft Edge browsers. Click on a video to enlarge it.

TeslaCam Video WebApp Player

• Love
Reactions: JWardell
@jdeskins Thank you so much for this work! Just an FYI....I received v10 today and the new version is not recognizing the rear camera. the extension is "-back" (See screenshot). It's also interesting that I am now recording in H.264. I hadn't really looked at when this change happened as everything used to be in H.265.....Here is a shot of the clips in your app as well. Happy to help troubleshoot for you!!

Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 6.12.10 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 6.12.43 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: jdeskins
Thanks very much for the heads up on that. That's very interesting. Telsa changed the rear camera filename from a sample I had earlier. So there appears to be a mix of different filenames in flight at the moment. I'll try to push an update later this evening to fix this.

Cool - I like your site and it seems to work great. Glad you will be pushing out an update for the rear camera. I should have checked here first. The format is like: 2019-09-27_14-37-32-back.mp4
It kind of goes along with the front format: 2019-09-27_14-37-32-front.mp4

Thanks for all your work on this.

Sadly not working on chrome - rear camera says "not found" , also only have pause button it never switches to play even if I move the slider so I cannot play videos
Tried opera - videos play even at 10x but the rear camera is black with same "not found" label

Last edited:
Tried opera - videos play even at 10x but the rear camera is black with same "not found" label

@sceptic - Can you verify the filename you are seeing for the rear cameras that are being saved on disk? If you have rear camera files but not showing in the app - it may have a name that is not expected. Chrome doesn't currently support the video format for the latest TeslaCam files. Other browsers, as you mentioned, do seem to work. I will also test the app in Opera.

Ah - the problem seems to be that I don't have the version that records the rear camera since there are no files that say rear camera, just the left and right repeater and front ! (sorry didn't realize I don't have the updated version)
I think I had problems with chrome before, but just switched computers and it works in edge (the other computer didn't have edge but had opera which is why I tried it). Just have to remember not to use chrome and wait for the update to see rear camera!

@jdeskins First of all I'd like to thank you for all the work and effort you've put into this project. Its been very good. I was wondering if you can help me with an issue I'm having. Recently when I go to playback the video files, the software tells me there is a TESLA 24.1.1 bug and that's why it has to re code the video to be playable. So I have to go and right-click and wait for the software to re code. Why is this happening and is there a fix? Its tedious going through every video file folder and having to temporarily re code the video. Thank you!

Recently when I go to playback the video files, the software tells me there is a TESLA 24.1.1 bug and that's why it has to re code the video to be playable.

@rad1027 - There are several "apps" with similar names. The web site I created, and what this thread is referencing, is browser-based and doesn't have such an error message or require you to re-code the videos. It does require using Safari, Firefox, or Microsoft Edge browsers. Just go to the website - TeslaCam Video WebApp Player - and select the directory to view.

Hope that helps.

@rad1027 - There are several "apps" with similar names. The web site I created, and what this thread is referencing, is browser-based and doesn't have such an error message or require you to re-code the videos. It does require using Safari, Firefox, or Microsoft Edge browsers. Just go to the website - TeslaCam Video WebApp Player - and select the directory to view.

Hope that helps.
Aha,... I mustve confused your creation with another. Im going to take a look at yours. Thank you!

Just wondering if there is a version we could download and use on home computer ourselves? Instead of having it run "through" your website?

@satheesh.net - Glad you like the web app! I'm working on a local version that users can run on their own computers. In meantime, there is a Docker version - if familiar with that framework. The Docker container still requires some external dependencies - so will need Internet access. It loads using the "localhost" url. Info on running that is here: Docker Hub

I will post in this forum when a true local or offline version is available. Thanks for the feedback.