Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Web App for Viewing TeslaCam Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To view this on an iPhone (I have a 10), would all that I’d need to get be an adapter for the lightning outlet to plug in the usb drive that the TeslaCam files are on?

I just purchased a USB Type-C to USB 3.1 Gen1 Female Adapter from Amazon and received it a couple days ago. It does work on my Android Pixel 2 phone but haven't tested on any other devices.

I followed these steps to view on mobile:
Properly remove the usb drive from the car and insert the cable and drive to your phone. Go to the website and open the files. You will need to navigate to the usb files that are then mounted to your phone and select all within the directory you want to view. They played fine on Android - but haven't tested other devices. I'm also working on some layout improvements when viewing the site on smaller mobile devices.

I'd love to use it but when I load the videos all the boxes are black, no matter which file I chose. I browse choose files but... just see black

Tesla 3 (one week old so I downloaded the hev extension you suggested)
Tried win 10 and also edge - same result
videos are mp4 and play fine on vlc

Sounds like you tried the right things. I couldn't reproduce the issue but may try to add some additional debugging info that can display to the user when the system detects the files aren't playing.

I also tried viewing my files on a Windows 10 laptop with the HEVC video extension installed. The video plays but not in the TeslaCam app.

As above, I can see all the video files complete with date stamps and select them but the three screens remain black and nothing happens pressing the play button.

Reactions: sceptic
@jdeskins This web app works great, thanks for creating it.
I do have some feedback.
1) Selecting individual files is not optimal, they are always in a set and always in a folder. Perhaps we can just select the folder and assume all files under that folder. This would be a huge quality of life improvement. Viewing individual files should still be an option.
2) Using Safari, when playing a 10min set, at the end of each clip, the screens jump and go black for a moment, it is kind of jarring. Could the views be more static sized so the transition can be smooth?

Curious for those seeing black screens trying to view video with this cool web based app, did you format Fat32 with Windows or Mac?
both my usbs (have tried 2) were already formatted but I've only had windows (never Mac) so either they came formatted or were formatted with windows.
Weird b/c I can see the videos fine on the same computer with vlc and also with the teslacam/sentryreview android app on my phone

I am trying to use this this web app on my iPhone using Safari and an USB to Lightning camera adapter.
Everything seems to work fine - I can navigate to the saved clips directory from with in Safari - my problem is that I cant figure out how to select multiple files :-(
Has anyone had any success using this web app on an iPhone? I would really like to review Sentry events in the car with out having to take the USB drive to my laptop.

Any idea why the WebApp stopped supporting videos on Chrome after 2019.24.4?? The app still works on Edge browser (but the seek interface is a lot more wonky than Chromes). It has no problems supporting my videos prior to 2019.24.4.

I checked to see if Tesla did any media changes via MediaInfoOnline but couldn't find any codec differences (HW2.5, h264).

I created a web application for viewing my TeslaCam dashboard and Sentry video clips that I would like to share and get feedback. Works on Mac or Windows using Chrome or IE browsers.

TeslaCam Viewer

The app uses your local file system and browser - so nothing to install or upload. Click Choose Files button and select all the mp4 video files within a directory and the app will play the videos from the left, front, and right cameras simultaneously on the screen. Click the speed button to cycle through 1x, 3x or 10x speeds. Will play all the one-minute videos in order by timestamp in the filename.

Let me know any thoughts if this is useful or ideas to make it better. It would be nice if this would just work from the Tesla browser in the car and have access to the files directly mounted from the USB TeslaCam directory.

screen-shot.jpg
This player is huge help on my Mac, but I cannot access the video files on my iPhone. I have a USB-Lightning adapter, but the Iphone does not appear to give me any access. What am I missing?

This player is huge help on my Mac, but I cannot access the video files on my iPhone. I have a USB-Lightning adapter, but the Iphone does not appear to give me any access. What am I missing?

Apple does not support USB mass storage devices on the iPhone (one of the biggest reasons I always stayed on Android)
Can You Use an iPhone as an External Hard Drive?

Although I hear they're finally bringing support for the iPad.

Apple does not support USB mass storage devices on the iPhone [snip] Although I hear they're finally bringing support for the iPad.
Apple has added support for external storage access via iPhone and iPad in iOS 13 which is due in the fall (or you can install the public beta):
How to use external storage on iPad and iPhone with iOS 13

Donation just made. This is amazing. I have been trying to figure out why I can't play any of the files on my Mac. At least now I know they are not corrupt. Still with my Mac could play them though.
Are you saying you wish your Mac could play them? You should be able to. I can, others can. What was discussed above is just that the iPhone/iPad don't support direct access to viewing files on external storage until iOS 13. The macOS has always supported external storage (and of course playback of video files).

I have been trying to figure out why I can't play any of the files on my Mac.

We're seeing that some of the videos from newer Teslas (and some cases with others that have recently been upgraded) have videos that are encoded in a way that may require to view with the Safari browser on the Mac or Microsoft Edge on Windows. I'm looking at adding some additional debug messages in these cases to help.

We're seeing that some of the videos from newer Teslas (and some cases with others that have recently been upgraded) have videos that are encoded in a way that may require to view with the Safari browser on the Mac or Microsoft Edge on Windows. I'm looking at adding some additional debug messages in these cases to help.

I cannot play any of the files on my Mac. Neither Quicktime, VLC, or FCPX will play them. They just show as grey screen with some motion that is impossible to determine what is going on. My Model 3 is only 2 months old. I am using a 128GB Sandisk Ultra FIt 3.1 Flash Drive, however, have tried numerous other drives as well. My Macbook is a 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. I have read that you need to have a minimum of a Core i7 to play HEVC files on Mac OSX, but have no way to confirm this.

Last edited: