Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Web Browser Useless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,
I've used the browser in an S plenty and it was, as we all know, slow and outdated. That being said, I figured the new web in the 3 would be upgraded or at least the same as the S. It is much worse. I tried on multiple pages and typing a character on the keyboard took 5-10 seconds to input into the browser. Besides the delay, it was as outdated it seemed as the S. In it's current form it is useless.

I assume this is typical of v9 fleet wide? Wanted to hear what others are seeing.

Thanks!

Hello All,
I've used the browser in an S plenty and it was, as we all know, slow and outdated. That being said, I figured the new web in the 3 would be upgraded or at least the same as the S. It is much worse. I tried on multiple pages and typing a character on the keyboard took 5-10 seconds to input into the browser. Besides the delay, it was as outdated it seemed as the S. In it's current form it is useless.

I assume this is typical of v9 fleet wide? Wanted to hear what others are seeing.

Thanks!
This is the Model 3 thread. Model S is not to be discussed here.....LOL

The Model 3 browser is much much faster than that other model.

The browser on the S has me doing this
skeleton_computer.gif

I'm looking forward to this new feature in v. 9 :
  • Now, you can use your phone to send a destination to your car’s navigation. Simply use the “Share” button in your favorite map app.
And hopefully for the future ... same functionality from an address in email, and from a desktop computer. AI ... right ?

I'm looking forward to this new feature in v. 9 :
  • Now, you can use your phone to send a destination to your car’s navigation. Simply use the “Share” button in your favorite map app.
And hopefully for the future ... same functionality from an address in email, and from a desktop computer. AI ... right ?

Works extremely well. I shared from Google Map and Yelp both worked perfectly. I wish it will show the name of the place I shared instead of just the address.

No what I meant was when I type into form data it is uselessly slow. Form data such as a username and password field.

I think this will be quite dependent on the particular web site and web form you're using. The Tesla browsers run Javascript quite slowly, and due to the latency on the LTE connection, will be even slower if the Javascript uses AJAX calls. Some web forms take every character you type and then submit it to a server, for example to do a search where the drop-down field re-populates every time you type a character. These types of web forms will run slow on the Tesla browsers.

The browser in the Teslas will never be really good as a general web access tool. It's better to use it with sites that are specifically designed for the Tesla browser, like abetterrouteplanner.com, my site teslawinds.com, or others.

Last edited:
That may be it. It also is doing weird things, like when I try to go to Electrek, it acts like I clicked an ad and redirects to dell.com. This is even though I had not clicked anything on the pagepbecause the page had yet to even load...lol.

So do most people use the browser for Tesla webpages with API integration as it seems very useless outside that?

I think this will be quite dependent on the particular web site and web form you're using. The Tesla browsers run Javascript quite slowly, and due to the latency on the LTE connection, will be even slower if the Javascript uses AJAX calls. Some web forms take every character you type and then submit it to a server, for example to do a search where the drop-down field re-populates every time you type a character.
Makes sense, but we can hope for a browser that works about as well as a phone -- right ?
I'm looking forward to trying out teslawinds :)

I tried to test the new browser for you today but now I notice it no longer loads any pages. Maybe a bug in the current code because it worked fine yesterday after the update.

I haven’t done a system reboot since I’ve owned the car. Wish there was an easy way to force kill an app without having to reboot the infotainment CIU.

This doesn't excuse the slow browser but I'm not sure why we even need browsers in cars (with the exception of Tesla Waze and Spotify control). It's so much easier to use the phone and all the things I frequent already have apps that give me instant access to what I need.