Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Web Browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the norm as far as reliability and speed on the web browser? I have 3G and have considered the upgrade, but slacker works great on the 3G leaving only the web browser to improve. I have found the web browser to be awesome for games and time killing while waiting in parking lots.

Picked up my car on 9/20; so limited experience.
However, came across this post because I'm trying to determine if my car has issues. At this point, I concur that the browser is one of the worst experiences...ever. Speed difference in comparison to iPhone (both on LTE) is ridiculous. This causes slacker and InTune to be crappy too. I listen to PodCast and that experience, due to the connectivity, is extremely frustrating.

Likewise, the car's ability to get a decent WiFi signal at home is crazy bad too.

Over the next few days, I will be using dslreports site to capture some data for review.

Additionally, I'm going to contact Tesla Support for assistance...

Interesting findings which point to the issue being browser, not LTE

Screen shots of iPhone and Tesla.

Attachments

• 12DCB745-58FE-4AC6-A475-7DDA75BF0D89.jpeg
    12DCB745-58FE-4AC6-A475-7DDA75BF0D89.jpeg
    245.6 KB · Views: 83
  • AE980651-AA36-42CA-9196-6BF30CE4EF14.jpeg
    AE980651-AA36-42CA-9196-6BF30CE4EF14.jpeg
    546.7 KB · Views: 54
another interesting observation. Car locked in garage, locked, maintains a good signal. Currently sitting at 5 Mb/s

However, jump in car and the data rate immediately drops to 1 Mb/s or worse, drops WiFi connection.

Attachments

• idle.png
    idle.png
    37.6 KB · Views: 54
Apple Airport utility allows you to look at each connection. I then use Evernote's screen capture tool to grab a shot of the data.

This morning, I checked the connection and was surprised to see 24 Mb/sec.

Note: sorry if this information is all "Old News". As a new owner, I have been trying to balance my research (searching and reading) with creation of new threads.

Attachments

• Morning Speed.png
    Morning Speed.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 52
No need to apologize, what I was really trying to say is that your car is fine.. well, nothing out of the ordinary to call Tesla about, other than to complain about it. They probably can't "fix" it.

Also, that 24mbps is just the current negotiated wi-fi data transfer rate.. it's not the true bandwidth one would experience inside the car when actually downloading data. Start up a nearby microwave oven and watch it drop to 1mbps. ;)

To get a realistic wi-fi throughput data date, watch the actual download speed when the car needs to download a firmware update.

I posted the first response to this in Jan 2016. I just replaced my 85D with a 2018 100D with the new MCU2. With the faster MCU, the browser is now usable. Still not great, but usable. I don’t have v9 yet, but I don’t think a software update will improve the browser function. I think the MCU1 is just inadequate for the browser. Let’s see what those with MCU1 and v9 have to say.

Picked up my car on 9/20; so limited experience.

Likewise, the car's ability to get a decent WiFi signal at home is crazy bad too.

I don’t know if this will help you. We moved to a different house which put the car at the end of the garage some distance from my router. I had a poor signal. I put in a “mesh” router system, it is a series of 3 router points that blankets the house well. Mine is a Linksys Velop. Anyway if it is a signal level problem at the car, the mesh type router system is a nice way to provide good strong full speed signal over a wide area.

I don’t know if this will help you. We moved to a different house which put the car at the end of the garage some distance from my router. I had a poor signal. I put in a “mesh” router system, it is a series of 3 router points that blankets the house well. Mine is a Linksys Velop. Anyway if it is a signal level problem at the car, the mesh type router system is a nice way to provide good strong full speed signal over a wide area.

I did the same but installed Google Wi-FI.