Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Web reservations given priority over line standers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible that individuals who reserved Model 3 online immediately after the reveal are getting priority over individuals who waited in line at Tesla stores to reserve Model 3 hours earlier?

The latest episode of Talking Tesla (episode 116) indicates that this may be the case, as Robert (line stander) has not received an invitation to configure his Model 3 while Mel and Tom (both online reservations) have. Robert, Mel, and Tom all live in Southern California, and all three are current Tesla owners. Of the three, only Robert stood in line at a Tesla store to reserve his Model 3 sight unseen. Tom and Mel waited for the reveal later that night, and then hours after Robert had placed his reservation in person, Tom and then Mel made their reservations online.

I wonder if Tesla somehow misplaced the list of people who waited in line so early in the morning to reserve the Model 3. Or has it always been the case that Tesla intended to give no additional priority to line standers? This would seem odd because those of us who stood in line to reserve Model 3 sight unseen were giving the company a real vote of confidence.

Maybe the two on line orders were early Tesla owners versus the line stander?
The same thought occurred to me, but in fact, I believe it is the opposite. Robert (the line stander) was the first of the three to purchase a Model S, and he now has two Model S vehicles; I believe he purchased his first Model S very early and his second Model S about a year ago. So that can't explain the discrepancy. Also, just to rule out other hypotheses, all three are non-employees and are not Tesla insiders.

Im a central coast owner and line stander that got his order confirmed last week. Not sure theres much truth to their argument. Certianly a true situation but prioritzing online over in store doesnt appear to be true prioritization.
Interesting data point. Good to hear that some line standers are at least receiving invitations to configure Model 3. Could you clarify what you meant by your last sentence. Holding constant all other prioritization factors (i.e., prior Tesla ownership), do you think that Tesla is lumping all first-day reservations together without giving priority to line standers or online reservation holders?

Interesting data point. Good to hear that some line standers are at least receiving invitations to configure Model 3. Could you clarify what you meant by your last sentence. Holding constant all other prioritization factors (i.e., prior Tesla ownership), do you think that Tesla is lumping all first-day reservations together without giving priority to line standers or online reservation holders?
Teslas system is so random and unorganized that theres no point in trying to make light of what they are doing. Invites seem to be picking up for non employees. Im sure they will be soon.

Is it possible that individuals who reserved Model 3 online immediately after the reveal are getting priority over individuals who waited in line at Tesla stores to reserve Model 3 hours earlier?
Doubtful, although I'm sure there are, and will continue to be, exceptions. The vast majority of people that have reported being invited to configure are prior owners who waited in line and live in California.

Lots of things are not working out as planned. It really isn't right that online reservations are going before line-standers, all other factors being equal. But it doesn't surprise me.

It doesn't really matter to me, not being West Coast nor a Line Stander nor a customer for the RWD car, or maybe any M3 at all. But it would be nice to get an invitation... If I could give someone my place in line (whatever that is), I'd probably do it. But at the very least it is way more hassle than I'm willing to do, if not flat-out impossible.

Reactions: seabie

The latest episode of Talking Tesla (episode 116) indicates that this may be the case, as Robert (line stander) has not received an invitation to configure his Model 3 while Mel and Tom (both online reservations) have. Robert, Mel, and Tom all live in Southern California, and all three are current Tesla owners. Of the three, only Robert stood in line at a Tesla store to reserve his Model 3 sight unseen. Tom and Mel waited for the reveal later that night, and then hours after Robert had placed his reservation in person, Tom and then Mel made their reservations online.

I wonder if Tesla somehow misplaced the list of people who waited in line so early in the morning to reserve the Model 3. Or has it always been the case that Tesla intended to give no additional priority to line standers? This would seem odd because those of us who stood in line to reserve Model 3 sight unseen were giving the company a real vote of confidence.
Honestly, I never got a sense that any of the store vs online prioritization applied to owners. Owners (in whatever order suits them) get priority, then non-owners in store, then non-owners online, each with some unknown amount of geographic prioritization. I don't think I ever heard anything that directly implied that the fastest way to get a Model 3 was to own a Tesla AND camp out in line.

Honestly, I never got a sense that any of the store vs online prioritization applied to owners. Owners (in whatever order suits them) get priority, then non-owners in store, then non-owners online, each with some unknown amount of geographic prioritization. I don't think I ever heard anything that directly implied that the fastest way to get a Model 3 was to own a Tesla AND camp out in line.

The Model 3 reservation FAQ on Tesla's site specifically mentions that the date and time of the reservation matters when it comes to what order config invites would be sent out:

When will I be invited to configure my Model 3, and when can I take delivery?
Model 3 reservation holders are receiving invitations to order and design Model 3 based on the time and date that they placed their reservation. Current Tesla owners have priority as a thank you for their support.

One would expect that the timestamp of the reservation matters whether or not the reservation holder is a current owner, but it looks like we're seeing a small amount of evidence to the contrary. It doesn't seem right to me that an owner who reserved online would get an invite before someone who reserved before them at a store. If something similar happens when they start getting to non-owner invites (like me), things are really going to hit the fan!

I'm not sure what you mean by "at least some". The vast majority of current owners who have been invited to configure placed their reservations in the store. Very few people who placed their reservations online have been invited. Why there are any before the last of the in store reservers I couldn't say.

(btw, online reservation doesn't mean after the reveal. Most or all of the online people who have been invited reserved online before the reveal.)

Did all 3 of them have First Production selected on their delivery estimate page?