Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Website/Design Studio Update - Twin Chargers no longer available from factory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is sure making it complicated...

I'm lusting over a P85D, but I want front and rear NG seats -- which implies that I have to pick the magic 2hr window sometime in the next year. And then I would really want the new blue - but who knows when that's available. Also, I'd want delivery before end of June due to the tax implications in WA. And, of course, I'd want dual chargers as part of the delivery configuration -- also for tax reasons.

Tesla's making it hard for me to consider clicking the Order button even when I'm ready to financially.

Seems like Tesla could make this a little easier by telling anyone who orders next-gen with 1.5 rear seats now for $2500 that they have the option (but not the obligation) to have next gen rears installed "soon*" for $1200 or some semi-reasonable number. Limited to those that ordered the next-gen in the first place.

(*when the ships come in, presumably)

Seems like Tesla could make this a little easier by telling anyone who orders next-gen with 1.5 rear seats now for $2500 that they have the option (but not the obligation) to have next gen rears installed "soon*" for $1200 or some semi-reasonable number. Limited to those that ordered the next-gen in the first place.
(*when the ships come in, presumably)
Agree.

Don't think it is included.....still coming up on acc page.

Tesla Gear Shop Dual Charger with Installation

given the increasing amount of superchargers, i think the only consumers getting dual chargers are "educated" consumers IMHO

That's a shame, because at the same time Tesla is promoting destination charging and giving out HPWCs to hotels etc. It would be better for all involved if more of the fleet can handle 80 amps and not tie up those chargers as long.

That's a shame, because at the same time Tesla is promoting destination charging and giving out HPWCs to hotels etc. It would be better for all involved if more of the fleet can handle 80 amps and not tie up those chargers as long.

I completely agree. This seems to be a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. More availability of 80A charging, but fewer new owners knowing about that capability. If it's not on the order page, most non-enthusiast buyers won't know the possibility of 80A charging exists. They won't order it later from the service center if they don't know about it.

wow, just stumbled on the first and hopefully last disappointment of our pending 85D delivery on Wednesday... "what, our car isn't coming with dual chargers?!" call me a idiot but I did not notice that the dual charger was no longer an option when ordering and now I'm bummed and feel a little mislead (a sort of guilt by omition kind of thing). we already have a 20 kW station at home and there are many on the west coast. It never dawned on me that Tesla would remove it all together, so when we went over and over the check boxes we just missed that it wasn't an option. the web site still talks about it, if anything I figured they would make 20kW standard. Not only are we looking at a flooded resale market for our P85+ (that has been discontinued and is apparently virtually unsaleable, except for trade in, where we are taking a huge hair cut on top of the fact that they give zero credit for full xpel wrap) but we are now looking at having to purchase the dual charger after delivery and likely will pay sales tax on it. I'm scratching my head going, WTF Tesla? the car I'm trading in has dual chargers that I'm getting next to nothing in credit for while the new car comes without... it just doesn't sit well with us.

wow, just stumbled on the first and hopefully last disappointment of our pending 85D delivery on Wednesday... "what, our car isn't coming with dual chargers?!" call me a idiot but I did not notice that the dual charger was no longer an option when ordering and now I'm bummed and feel a little mislead (a sort of guilt by omition kind of thing). we already have a 20 kW station at home and there are many on the west coast. It never dawned on me that Tesla would remove it all together, so when we went over and over the check boxes we just missed that it wasn't an option. the web site still talks about it, if anything I figured they would make 20kW standard. Not only are we looking at a flooded resale market for our P85+ (that has been discontinued and is apparently virtually unsaleable, except for trade in, where we are taking a huge hair cut on top of the fact that they give zero credit for full xpel wrap) but we are now looking at having to purchase the dual charger after delivery and likely will pay sales tax on it. I'm scratching my head going, WTF Tesla? the car I'm trading in has dual chargers that I'm getting next to nothing in credit for while the new car comes without... it just doesn't sit well with us.

Can you have them take the second charger out of your P85+ and put it in your new 85D? :)

I was considering asking if that was possible but of course I seriously doubt it.

If you search around, I've seen threads where others were also considering the possibility of moving the second charger to their new car. I've seen the chargers for sale separately too...but have no idea what it would cost to remove it from one car and install it in another.

FWIW I just ordered dual chargers for my wife's soon-to-be delivered S70D, through the TM Gear web site. When ordering, I was asked to pick the model of S, and optionally provide the VIN. Makes me think that there might be subtle differences in the charger and/or installation kit. I passed the order number to my DS, who is trying to arrange for the Fremont Service Center to do the install before we pick up the car (...save a trip/appointment back to a service center).