Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Website/Design Studio Update - Twin Chargers no longer available from factory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
iadbound -- Given you have Dual Charger and Wall Connector coming this month... is that still the plan? You should ask them for some more information.

I already have the wall connector -- so no problem there.
As for the dual chargers, my car already completed production on Friday. Given this just went up, I doubt the changes will take place for another month or two since quoted delivery time is out to May now for an 85. In other words, I think I'm fine, but will obviously check at delivery.

SPECULATION: this is related to the Tesla home battery being able to supercharge

This popped up my mind too, *wild speculation* they decided to put a new set of power electronics that will play nice with home battery system and *wilder speculation* allow power feed the other way. And they're slipping the hardware in ahead like the autopilot hw.

I wonder if this is the update that Elon was hinting at. I wonder if all cars will get a dual charger retrofit, since there are so many HPWC around at destination places.

a) that would be an enormous undertaking to implement and lots of service time

b) what about folks who paid for twin chargers and now Tesla says they are a free retrofit

IMO, unlikely to happen.

SPECULATION: this is related to the Tesla home battery being able to supercharge

I doubt that a 10kWh (or larger) battery will expend its charge at a 10C rate to hit 100 KW of output. Now, if your home battery is 100 kWh - maybe there is something that can be done with DC-DC charging. It makes little sense to charge up a large battery to them recharge another battery unless you are trying to charge with late-night time of use kWhs stored at .05 from the grid and it is mid-day and your time of use rate is .25 "right now".

A 10 kWh battery isn't interesting to me, actually. I would want something like 30 kWh. My solar rig outside could work well with up to 50 kWh since it is over 8 KW. I have seen it output over 55 kWh per day. While I do not want to go off the grid, I do want to see what kind of efficiency such a home battery offers. I don't need it, and don't really want it. Just interested in what it will be.

It makes sense to me to not have the dual chargers. There are so few 80 amp chargers available. Even Tesla destination chargers are often on 50 amp circuits. It would be more effective for most people to put the extra money into a Chademo or combo adapter (when available) instead of dual chargers. Still wouldn't hurt to have the option. Maybe Tesla needs the physical space for some new feature.

I just spoke to Tesla sales (in CA). They have decided to provide the HPWC and the dual chargers only as add-on accessories. They are still very much available, just on the accessories page instead of with the car.

I just spoke to Tesla sales (in CA). They have decided to provide the HPWC and the dual chargers only as add-on accessories. They are still very much available, just on the accessories page instead of with the car.
Dual charger with installation shows as $2000 on the accessories page:

Tesla Gear Shop Dual Charger with Installation

Does anyone remember the prior pricing? Wasn't it $2000 ordered with the car and $3500 after the fact?

It makes sense to me to not have the dual chargers. There are so few 80 amp chargers available. Even Tesla destination chargers are often on 50 amp circuits. It would be more effective for most people to put the extra money into a Chademo or combo adapter (when available) instead of dual chargers. Still wouldn't hurt to have the option. Maybe Tesla needs the physical space for some new feature.

The dual chargers are a nice option. The installation of 80 amp capable Wall Connectors at destinations compliments the chargers nicely. In addition, I like having it at home too. Just needed it on Friday for example. If Tesla bounces the dual charger option, that may put a damper on Wall Connector installations at commercial facilities, which would be step backwards in my opinion. I guess we'll see shortly if this is a permanent change.

- - - Updated - - -

Dual charger with installation shows as $2000 on the accessories page:

Tesla Gear Shop Dual Charger with Installation

Does anyone remember the prior pricing? Wasn't it $2000 ordered with the car and $3500 after the fact?

It was $1,500 with the car and $3,600 after the fact. They must have just changed it, because it was $3,600 earlier this morning.

It was $1500 ordered (I know for sure because it's on the configuration sheet for my not-yet-delivered car) and $3500 after the fact. Dropping it to $2000 as an add-on makes me almost regret having ordered it -- $2000 extra for a later add-on was punitive. $500 extra would have been OK.

It makes sense to me to not have the dual chargers. There are so few 80 amp chargers available.
It makes no sense at all to me actually. Why would they sell a car where their only non-mobile charger can provide twice the current their car can handle? The installation cost for the 2nd charger was not insignificant. It seemed the best time to install it was when the car was being built, so this change of heart makes no sense to me.

My car with dual chargers is in production queue. Estimated delivery late May. Luckily it still shows dual chargers (1250 euros, vat 0%). It doesn't make any sense, that in the future it could only be retrofit.

My car with dual chargers is in production queue. Estimated delivery late May. Luckily it still shows dual chargers (1250 euros, vat 0%). It doesn't make any sense, that in the future it could only be retrofit.
I'd guess they pushed this out to the service centers as part of delivery for those that want it. One less thing to deal with in manufacturing.

My guess is that they wanted to make the Order page simpler and that way maybe get more orders. Many people (including me) did not fully understand what dual chargers mean.

EDIT: What Nevek is saying above is also a valid point. Maybe they can produce cars fasters this way.

It is true that my salesperson was pretty aggressive in discouraging me from ordering the dual chargers. This was back in November. I don't know if it was guidance from corporate to downplay the dual chargers, or just his personal initiative, but if the option has been selling poorly (for whatever reason) it would be consistent with Tesla's other streamlining moves to take it off the design studio page.