Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Website/Design Studio Update - Twin Chargers no longer available from factory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't see how adding the second charger at the factory would be such a hassle that it made them get rid of the option. I highly doubt 'streamlining the manufacturing' is the reason.
There is a difference between the US and Europe in terms of public chargers. It's pretty hard to find any public chargers that goes beyond 10 kW. In Europe that's pretty common (3-phase 32 Amp plug). So in the US the dual charger has limited use, in Europe you definitely want it. At home you don't need fast charging. You have all night. But for public chargers, the faster, the better.

I don't know about other markets, but in the US market it's only a ~33% increase - what was a $1500 factory build option is now a $2000 service center option.

(It used to be possible to retrofit at service centers as a $3600 option, so it is now almost half the price for cars that don't currently have dual chargers.)

I don't know, but I suspect that one could arrange to have the second charger installed by the service center prior to delivery...
Walter
This worked out well for me. I bought a showroom Model S and would have had to pay the old retro fit price to add it. Now that's It's 2k, I ordered mine this morning.

Summary of today's changes as I see them from the US. Feel free to correct or add to this list.

0. Base price is the same
1. Premium paint options price increase (metallic paints went from $750 to $1000, pearl white and MC red are still $1500)
2. Interior trim options price increase (carbon fiber went from $800 to $1000, wood trims increased to $750)
3. Next-gen seats now available for 60/85/85D, price unchanged ($3500)
4. Dual chargers option moved to accessories page, price increase from $1500 to $2000. After-market install price is down from $3600 to $2000.
5. HPWC option moved to accessories page, price unchanged
6. Description of tech package with autopilot changed, price unchanged
7. Winter/summer wheel packages moved to accessories page

Overall it looks like a minor price increase combined with an effort to simplify the order page and de-emphasize dual chargers. The total price of my 85D configuration went up ~$1,000.

Anything else I missed?

Last edited:
I disagree - I guess it depends on driving habits etc. I've found myself in a pinch from time to time where I needed a quick hit to get somewhere I was not planning for. Halving my charge time while at home for situations like this is a good thing!

Dual chargers are nice to have, but I haven't really taken advantage of mine since the first six months of owning the car, when superchargers were rare. 40A has been perfectly fine for home charging, and I'm pretty sure it would still be fine if I had an 85. I think the dual charger option is just becoming less and less useful, and selling that option must not be making Tesla much profit.

If charging away from home is important, and superchargers are not sufficient, you'll get more bang for your buck with the CHAdeMO adapter than the dual chargers.

Summary of today's changes as I see them from the US. Feel free to correct or add to this list.

1. . . . . pearl white and MC red are now $1500
2. Interior trim options price increase (carbon fiber went from $800 to $1000)

Anything else I missed?

Pearl white and MC red price has not changed. It was $1,500 before.
Wood trim options increased to $750.

0. Base price is the same
1. Premium paint options price increase (metallic paints went from $750 to $1000, pearl white and MC red are now $1500)
2. Interior trim options price increase (carbon fiber went from $800 to $1000)
3. Next-gen seats now available for 60/85/85D, price unchanged ($3500)
4. Dual chargers option moved to accessories page, price increase from $1500 to $2000. After-market install price is down from $3600 to $2000.
5. HPWC option moved to accessories page, price unchanged
6. Description of tech package with autopilot changed, price unchanged
7. Winter/summer wheel packages moved to accessories page

Overall it looks like a minor price increase combined with an effort to simplify the order page and de-emphasize dual chargers. The total price of my 85D configuration went up ~$1,000.

Anything else I missed?
Good summary. I also noticed the dual charger price drop. I hope the changes don't mean they're going to move away from supporting dual chargers.

I bought a single charger as my current home lacks the bandwidth to kick the juice up high enough... but its an area I had hoped/planned to upgrade the car some day.

Dual chargers are nice to have, but I haven't really taken advantage of mine since the first six months of owning the car, when superchargers were rare. 40A has been perfectly fine for home charging, and I'm pretty sure it would still be fine if I had an 85. I think the dual charger option is just becoming less and less useful, and selling that option must not be making Tesla much profit.

I used my dual charger one of the first days of getting my car 18 months ago, on a road trip through Denmark before superchargers were available. And I had good use for dual chargers only last week, when I drove from Oslo to Gothenburg airport to fly on a vacation, and used the free 22kW charger at the airport (100km from the last supercharger) to top up the battery before parking it for a week. Zoning out with news and twitter for an hour while charging at 22kW was ok really, but having to wait two hours would be plain annoying.

If charging away from home is important, and superchargers are not sufficient, you'll get more bang for your buck with the CHAdeMO adapter than the dual chargers.

I'll believe in that mythical creature - the legendary Chademo adapter - when I hold it my own hands and have tried it a bit. :) It's been so long in the waiting, I almost still dismiss it as imaginary.

Chademo chargers are notoriously unreliable. In Norway at least, there are often queues of other EVs with smaller batteries who get kind of aggressive at Teslas blocking their charging station for more than 15 minutes. Chademo charging price is usually 2x that of AC charging. Chademo charging stations are way more expensive than 22kW type2 charging outlets, and I don't think you'll ever find a small roadside restaurant in the mountains which will invest in a chademo charger, while some do invest in 22kW type charging outlets to attract Tesla owners. And for some common chademo chargers, you only seem to get 20kW anyway, as Tesla has throttled down the amps on certain brands of chademo chargers which can't cope with 45-50kW sustained throughput.

Hey mods...

Can we get a thread title update? Maybe change "Twin Chargers no longer available" to "Twin Chargers now a service center installed option only" or something like that.

All indications are that dual chargers are still available, just not from the factory. "No longer available" is incorrect, misleading, and panic-inducing. :scared:

FWIW, this page still lists "Onboard maps and navigation with free updates for 7 years" as part of the Tech Package under "Specs".

Model S | Tesla Motors

However, my suspicion is that this has now become standard, and the design studio was updated while this page is still lagging behind.

Another couple small changes I noticed, but could have been made Oct 2014:

LED fog lamps are once again part of the Tech Package
"Power folding, heated side mirrors with memory" - Previously, it was "Memory seats, mirrors, and driver profile", which implies that memory seats and driver profiles are now standard. Seems odd that mirror memory would be singled out as a tech package upgrade though. Perhaps this is an error.

Unless this is some part of a strategy to introduce a new better charger in a short amount of time, I think Tesla made a mistake in removing the dual chargers as an option in Europe. That extra 8000 NOK/1000 USD will be a bitter pill to swallow, for many people, and as been said, the service centers are swamped.

I think Tesla would have been better off including it as standard and then raising the base price by $1.500 (but not by a huge margin). Personally, I wouldn't get the dual chargers if I were buying a Tesla tomorrow, but there are many people who need them. Basically, I think it was fine the way it was.

Unless this is some part of a strategy to introduce a new better charger in a short amount of time, I think Tesla made a mistake in removing the dual chargers as an option in Europe. That extra 8000 NOK/1000 USD will be a bitter pill to swallow, for many people, and as been said, the service centers are swamped.

I think Tesla would have been better off including it as standard and then raising the base price by $1.500 (but not by a huge margin). Personally, I wouldn't get the dual chargers if I were buying a Tesla tomorrow, but there are many people who need them. Basically, I think it was fine the way it was.

Unless something has changed recently (and it might have) then all EU cars are built with dual chargers in them anyway. So when you ask the service centre to "install" it they'll just be making a software update to the car anyway. You may not even need to visit.

(well, UK cars are certainly built this way - I just assumed this was true of all cars with 3 phase chargers)

My guess is that the speeding up in production is not the physical assembly, but the programming time that it takes to tell the car that it has a second charger.

I doubt that a 10kWh (or larger) battery will expend its charge at a 10C rate to hit 100 KW of output. Now, if your home battery is 100 kWh - maybe there is something that can be done with DC-DC charging. It makes little sense to charge up a large battery to them recharge another battery unless you are trying to charge with late-night time of use kWhs stored at .05 from the grid and it is mid-day and your time of use rate is .25 "right now".

A 10 kWh battery isn't interesting to me, actually. I would want something like 30 kWh. My solar rig outside could work well with up to 50 kWh since it is over 8 KW. I have seen it output over 55 kWh per day. While I do not want to go off the grid, I do want to see what kind of efficiency such a home battery offers. I don't need it, and don't really want it. Just interested in what it will be.

Based on JB Straubel's storage keynote, Tesla uses C/2, so a 10kWh battery would be 5kW.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there any chance this could be a supply issue?

No. I just exoect that Supercharger coverage and the CHAdeMO adapter are leading to lower take, along with a regional pattern, so they feel that it's better to move it to the service center.

When did the Dual Charger option disappear?

I could have sworn there was an option in design studio to select dual chargers.
Have they gone or am I just imagining that they even existed in the design studio?
All other references to them still appear on the site.

Dual charger with installation shows as $2000 on the accessories page:

Tesla Gear Shop Dual Charger with Installation

Does anyone remember the prior pricing? Wasn't it $2000 ordered with the car and $3500 after the fact?
It was $1500 ordered with the car. So new orders pay more, but it's a nice price drop for those of us who wanted to retrofit but thought it was too expensive. Lots of buyers in 2013 were talked out of ordering the car with dual chargers if we weren't installing HPWC at home-- this was before the destination charging program and Clipper Creek high amp level 2's became more common.

- - - Updated - - -

Only if there is a Chademo station near where you want to charge. That's not true in most of the country, and high amp level 2 chargers (HPWC or Clipper Creek) cost less than 1/10 of what a Chademo station costs to install.