Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Website that does same functions as app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

invisik

Supporting Member
Mar 13, 2014
Minneapolis
Hi,

I don't have my car yet, but I'm wondering if there is a website that you can do the functions that the phone apps provide? I work in IT so I'm always in front of a computer, but not always near my phone. It would be awesome to log into a web site to then pre-heat the cabin, etc.

I downloaded Tesla Connect for Windows 8 and that's pretty usable (I presume). If I'm in front of that computer...........

Can I control this stuff on the MyTesla page on the teslamotors.com website once my car is finished perhaps?

Thanks for any info.

-m

Yes, I wrote one a while ago and announced it here with the caveat that you have to trust me to not steal your password, etc. By the way, I will not steal your password, etc. The program doesn't ever store it; it just passes it right to Tesla.
It is at http://artspeak.quogic.com/teslalogin.html

Many people use it regularly.

If your car is asleep it will come back with an error, but it will also wake it up. So if you refresh in 20-30 seconds it will work. Also, there are some incompatibilities with embedding Google Maps on a secure page in Chrome...I'm still trying to figure that out.

There is a simple HTML/REST interface included in the examples directory of the open source TeslaMS project on github. Its called "restla". You can modify this if you want something nicer looking but all the functions are there. Written in JavaScript and runs in Node.js

Someone else wrote a GUI Chrome plugin which has all the mobile app functions right in the browser. I believe its also on Github.

Hi!

As of a few weeks ago, I noticed I can't connect to the car anymore on this page. It takes my login credentials fine, but then reports "Error connecting." Car is not sleeping and has connectivity. My third party Windows Phone apps also don't work either.

Might there have been another Tesla server change that broke all this stuff--or is it just me? Can anyone else still use this page successfully?

Thanks....

-m

Hi!

As of a few weeks ago, I noticed I can't connect to the car anymore on this page. It takes my login credentials fine, but then reports "Error connecting." Car is not sleeping and has connectivity. My third party Windows Phone apps also don't work either.

Might there have been another Tesla server change that broke all this stuff--or is it just me? Can anyone else still use this page successfully?

Sorry, can't speak to why this site isn't working. Just wanted to point you to a pretty great website that allows some control of the car as well, and has tremendous logging, in case you had not seen it... check out this thread: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...esla-Data-Logger-Announcement-Support-threads / http://www.teslalog.com

I'm curious as to the use case for this. If it's a computer you can install your own software on, why would you chose this over visible tesla which seems to do more than basically anything else out there?

Most requests for browser based ones are because you want to use it on any computer you happen to be at, regardless of install permissions (and including tablets and phones)

I'm curious as to the use case for this. If it's a computer you can install your own software on, why would you chose this over visible tesla which seems to do more than basically anything else out there?

Most requests for browser based ones are because you want to use it on any computer you happen to be at, regardless of install permissions (and including tablets and phones)

Several reasons:
1- It's really quite picky to get VT running correctly with the proper version of Java and permissions, etc. It's not just "plug and play" unless the planets are aligned correctly, and even still, if you're not technical, it can be quite a challenge to get (and keep) running.
2- VT is a stand-alone app that needs to be running all the time, consuming system resources. And the Java VM is a memory/resource HOG, even before any apps load.
3- This chome extension is always there, simple to install, and mimics the Tesla mobile app. It doesn't do a lot of what VT does-- they're really very different apps.
4- With the browser based apps, you're still passing your MyTesla credentials to the app owner (website) and trust they won't do anything with it. While the chrome plug-in *could* transmit your credentials, it doesn't need to, and it only talks directly to the Tesla servers with no middleman. Much more secure.
5- All I need to do is log into chrome with my google account, and it automatically installs all my bookmarks and plugins. Log out, and they're inaccessible to anyone else.
6- The chrome extension is always there in my browser bar. One click to open the app in the browser and make whatever changes I want to make. No need to start up VT, or have it running all the time in the background.

The two apps really aren't in the same class or serve the same functions.

Several reasons:
1- It's really quite picky to get VT running correctly with the proper version of Java and permissions, etc. It's not just "plug and play" unless the planets are aligned correctly, and even still, if you're not technical, it can be quite a challenge to get (and keep) running.
2- VT is a stand-alone app that needs to be running all the time, consuming system resources. And the Java VM is a memory/resource HOG, even before any apps load.
3- This chome extension is always there, simple to install, and mimics the Tesla mobile app. It doesn't do a lot of what VT does-- they're really very different apps.
4- With the browser based apps, you're still passing your MyTesla credentials to the app owner (website) and trust they won't do anything with it. While the chrome plug-in *could* transmit your credentials, it doesn't need to, and it only talks directly to the Tesla servers with no middleman. Much more secure.
5- All I need to do is log into chrome with my google account, and it automatically installs all my bookmarks and plugins. Log out, and they're inaccessible to anyone else.
6- The chrome extension is always there in my browser bar. One click to open the app in the browser and make whatever changes I want to make. No need to start up VT, or have it running all the time in the background.
Sorry, I still don't understand.
1- I downloaded and ran the app, that's all there was to it, it wasn't rocket science
2- it has no need to run all the time, unless you want the advanced logging features, everything else works instantly when you start it
3-VT is also always there, simple to install, and not only mimics the Tesla mobile app, but also does more, I don't see a downside
4-VT also talks directly to the Tesla servers, so is no worse than the chrome plug-in so is also more secure.
5-you still have to install something, this is not something you can do on all computers, and if you can, why wouldn't you want the more advanced VT, you can always log out of it too.
6-opening a browser app is no easier than opening an app from elsewhere on the machine, if you find it hard to open VT, put it on your start bar (or equivalent depending on your OS)

I just can't see any advantage to the chrome plugin vs Visible Tesla, it does less, but requires all the same permissions and work, and both have similar limitations to what devices they'll run on. You get all of the downsides of VT with none of the upsides.

The two apps really aren't in the same class or serve the same functions.
That's the one place I'll agree. VT is lightyears ahead. It's like saying the Tesla isn't in the same class as a hyundai accent, it's completely true, but for the same price who would chose the Accent?

Meanwhile I CAN see a use case for a web based app, sure there's the security risk, but there are times you might want to use it where you can't install an app, or on a device that doesn't support an app. It's up to you to decide if you trust the person running the website.

Honestly what I really want is a visible tesla, but running on my web server instead of my home machine, the web server is on 24/7 whereas I don't leave my home machine on. Unfortunately running Java over the internet isn't as easy as it's supposed to be.

Whatever. Just read through the VT thread to see most of the posts are about installing and getting the thing to run. And as far as I know, it still doesn't run correctly for some people. It's never just been install and run on *any* machine I have. I've had to uninstall and re-install many different versions of Java, and there are still compatibility problems. You simply can't deny that that is an issue for VT. The chrome plug-in is super lightweight, installs on every chrome browser regardless of hardware platform, OS or java version. The OP asked for "Website that does same functions as app?" and that's what the chrome plug in does, no more, no less. So why bother with all the bloat and compatibilty problems that comes with Java and VT if you don't need all those features? Oh, and before installing VT you still have to download and install a Java VM, which is a non-trival download and install step. It's like saying "I need a calculator".. do I use the built in calculator, or do I install Excel to add two numbers together?

VT is NOT "more secure".. they are equally secure (or insecure, for that matter). In fact, Java itself is not fully secure (and likely will never be) so why use it if you don't have to?

>6-opening a browser app is no easier than opening an app from elsewhere on the machine,

But it is easier.. it's already in the browser. No need to load, run, and switch apps. Just click the icon ** in the browser **

Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 11.13.54 PM.png

I'm obviously not going to convince you otherwise -- I was just giving the OP another simple solution and answer to their question. If they want the added headaches, bloat, and resource hog of Java+VT, along with all of the extra features, great. But that's not what he/she asked for.

"Website that does same functions as app?" and that's what the chrome plug in does, no more, no less
No, the point is that the chrome plugin does not even come close to the one thing he asked for, a website. He didn't say why he wanted a website instead of an installed program, but you assumed that an installed program would be a proper substitute for it. If he wanted a website, the odds are incredibly high that your solution won't work for him because you didn't provide what he asked for.

But it is easier.. it's already in the browser. No need to load, run, and switch apps. Just click the icon ** in the browser **
Do you not have a start bar (or equivalent on every single modern OS)? it's no harder to click on an icon in the lower left than the upper right of your screen. And better yet, the app on the start bar is available regardless of the app you are currently in, whereas the chrome plugin is only there if you're in your browser.

I'm obviously not going to convince you otherwise -- I was just giving the OP another simple solution and answer to their question. If they want the added headaches, bloat, and resource hog of Java+VT, along with all of the extra features, great. But that's not what he/she asked for.
Except their question was not "what application can I install on my local machine to get the same functions as the app" it was "is there a website that does the same functions as the app" You didn't even start to answer that question.

Geeze, chill out a little bit dude... he said, and I quote:

I work in IT so I'm always in front of a computer, but not always near my phone.

A "website" and the chrome plug-in does in fact, solve his problem. The chrome plug-in does *everything* the app does, and that's what he wants --

It would be awesome to log into a web site to then pre-heat the cabin, etc.

He's not looking for everything that VT does on top of pre-heating his cabin.

I don't know why you're getting so heated up campaigning against a simple, easy solution to his actual problem. Let him be the judge if it's not exactly what he's looking for, and/or if he wants to bother with the installation/compatibility problems that Java+VT may have. It's like you're arguing for argument sake.

Geeze, chill out a little bit dude... he said, and I quote:

A "website" and the chrome plug-in does in fact, solve his problem. The chrome plug-in does *everything* the app does, and that's what he wants --

He's not looking for everything that VT does on top of pre-heating his cabin.

I don't know why you're getting so heated up campaigning against a simple, easy solution to his actual problem. Let him be the judge if it's not exactly what he's looking for, and/or if he wants to bother with the installation/compatibility problems that Java+VT may have. It's like you're arguing for argument sake.
Because you COMPLETELY IGNORED HIS REQUEST.

He's also not the only one who wants a web app, many many people want one, telling them all to ignore what they want or need is not helpful at all.

If you want to argue that your idea is "just as good" based on him being an IT professional chained to his desk, than I contend that VT is an even better solution (I would hope an IT professional could install a simple program) But I'm actually not advocating for VT, I'm advocating for a web based app, because that was the request he asked for, and that's what the thread is all about.

Because you COMPLETELY IGNORED HIS REQUEST..

Woah, calm down... I didn't ignore his request.

I simply provided another option that solves his problem.

Why do you still have such a problem with that?

Are we not here to help each other?

I could say the same thing to you --- you're campaigning hard for VT -- that's also not "a website" so why even bring it up? That also "ignores his request".

I'm done here. I like helping people, not arguing endlessly with pedantic zealots.

Woah, calm down... I didn't ignore his request.

I simply provided another option that solves his problem.

Why do you still have such a problem with that?

Are we not here to help each other?

I could say the same thing to you --- you're campaigning hard for VT -- that's also not "a website" so why even bring it up? That also "ignores his request".

I'm done here. I like helping people, not arguing endlessly with pedantic zealots.
I'm not advocating VT, I'm saying if you're not doing what he asked, and installing an app anyway, might as well install the best,

I'm really advocating for a web based solution though, because A) That's what the OP asked for and B) Many other people also want one.

I'm really advocating for a web based solution though, because A) That's what the OP asked for and B) Many other people also want one.

I'm not really aware of what the originally referenced site did, but does anyone have any feedback on whether http://www.teslalog.com (more info in this thread) addresses the needs of the OP, and if not, in what way? Although, I just noticed as I'm posting this, it seems to be having some troubles (might just be my system), but it has been pretty reliable thus far, and a super responsive guy doing the coding, so if there is something it doesn't do that would be desired, I'm sure he'd consider adding it in if provided the feedback.