Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Website to sell Used Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ebaymotors.com, cars.com, autotrader.com, autotempest.com, vroom.com, craiglist.com, autobytel.com, truecar.com, and of course

Tesla for Sale

Personally, I have bought and sold successfully on ebaymotors.com including a Tesla Model S sale (P85) and purchase (P85+).
In fact all my cars but one (our 90D) have come from ebaymotors.com for the last six purchases. Tesla P85+, Passat, FJ Cruiser, Zero MC, Miata, VFR800 MC, all bought off ebaymotors.com. Just avoid the dealers and you will do fine and make sure you take alot of pictures - especially the screen the shows all the options your car has (air suspension, pano, subzero). I have been lurking and waiting for P100D's to hit the low $80K, but the biggest pet peeve are the guys that list all the standard options and then don't show what PAID options the car has.

I love ebaymotors because I bid on multiple cars at the price I want and usually in a couple of months I get it within the budget i want to pay.

The odds are you are better off handing the keys to Tesla on a 85D.

here are some recent sales on ebay;

2015 Tesla Model S 85D | eBay 2015 85D

Tesla Tesla in Cars & Trucks | eBay sold only reflects 2015

Tesla X in Cars & Trucks | eBay - sold only reflects 2016 and 2017

tesla s in Cars & Trucks | eBay - sold only reflects 2016 and 2017

Last edited:
Bought my S on the facebook group ‘Tesla for sale by owner’.

Sold my other S on this forum classifieds (you’re in the right spot).

Take good quality photos, list the options on the window sticker (even better post a pic of the mvpa or monrooney). A bulleted list is great, mileage, condition, any issues/defects, and price.

Personally I’d avoid any sites that charge a listing fee when the same audience frequents this site and Facebook groups.

I’d avoid Craigslist on a car above $15k.
Every time I list on cars.com I get inundated with people trying to sell me professional listings or consignment shops asking for $ and car upfront and no real buyers.

I just sold my Model 3 through craigslist. Got lots of low-ballers and one buyer from there, so it's really a matter of luck.

On facebook, I was insulted left and right, accused of tax fraud and all kinds of ridiculous things.

eBay sent me a deadbeat buyer, who kept asking me the same things over and over. Things like: "When will my car be delivered?" (never), and "What is your name and address, so I can mail you a check?" (did you read the payment terms?)

Got some good leads from onlyusedtesla.com, but unfortunately, none materialized before the craigslist buyer signed.

Reactions: IdaX
I just sold my Model 3 through craigslist. Got lots of low-ballers and one buyer from there, so it's really a matter of luck.

On facebook, I was insulted left and right, accused of tax fraud and all kinds of ridiculous things.

eBay sent me a deadbeat buyer, who kept asking me the same things over and over. Things like: "When will my car be delivered?" (never), and "What is your name and address, so I can mail you a check?" (did you read the payment terms?)

Got some good leads from onlyusedtesla.com, but unfortunately, none materialized before the craigslist buyer signed.

What inspired you to sell your Model 3? I've been somewhat surprised by the number of these already available on Autotrader/Ebay etc...

What inspired you to sell your Model 3? I've been somewhat surprised by the number of these already available on Autotrader/Ebay etc...
Lack of hatchback (regular trunk). This was my first non-hatchback car, and I couldn't make it work for my needs. Actually, I bought the S while waiting for the 3 for this precise reason. By the time the 3 arrived, I already knew I would not keep it.

Only two other things I'd change:

- Head-up display in front of driver.
- Emergency mechanical rear door unlock function from the interior. You cannot open these doors without power. There is no option.

Fantastic car otherwise, though.

• Informative
Reactions: MarkKW
There's a flood of used Model S's now that many are "downgrading" to a M3. I was one of those folks. I was super happy with Carvana. They made it ridiculously easy, and gave me 15% more than Tesla. You upload photos on their website, they give you a price, they come with a truck, check out the car to make sure u r true to your word, give you a check, and it's done! Craigslist was discouraging to me due to not many people having 40 + K just sitting around - the car loan process is daunting for buying from a private individual. Ebay worked well for me too. Just try everything-Carvana, Ebay, Craigslist, neighbor websites (Nextdoor), signs on the car. Wouldnt rec Carmax (offer < than Tesla itself)