TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Week Long Parking Outside in Summer?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Bluesmdl3, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Bluesmdl3

Bluesmdl3 New Member

I need to go on a trip from a small airport next week. If I use the M3 to get to the airport it will sit in the sun all week waiting for me to get back. How much battery drain should I expect and is there an optimal setting for the "away cool" feature I should consider to help keep some power in the battery? I expect to park with about 70% state of charge and a week later I'll need to drive about 30mi home.

2. Need

Need Active Member

#2 Need, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    There are other threads on this but I believe it is about 3 to 4 miles per day for Model 3 LR. So expect to lose about 21 miles to 28 miles (7% to 9%). I have a X75D which has about the same size battery as the LR3. I parked outside in June at LAX for a week and I lost about 17 miles which is about 7% for the X75D.

I don't know if M3 got the same settings as X, but these were the things I turned off:

Energy Saving -> On
    Always Connect -> Off
    Cabin Overheat Protection -> Off

3. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

4. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Member

5. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

all this trial and error stuff could just be fixed by tesla offering an airport/longpark mode which maximized energy saving. How is that not a thing yet?

6. Dana1

Dana1 Member

Make sure cabin overheat is off, no third party apps are polling, periodically check your cabin temp on your app and manually turn climate on if getting too hot.

7. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

I just left my car in a parking lot for 7 days. Temperature was in the 80's every day and I lost 22 miles in total.
    Software version 21.9.

8. ezevphl

ezevphl Member

I think you'll be fine even if overheat protection is on, especially if you only need a 30 mile range to get back. Personally I would leave it off unless I was plugged into a charger. I've found the behavior inconsistent, with losses of a dozen miles or more a day when its turned on.