Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Week Long Parking Outside in Summer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to go on a trip from a small airport next week. If I use the M3 to get to the airport it will sit in the sun all week waiting for me to get back. How much battery drain should I expect and is there an optimal setting for the "away cool" feature I should consider to help keep some power in the battery? I expect to park with about 70% state of charge and a week later I'll need to drive about 30mi home.

There are other threads on this but I believe it is about 3 to 4 miles per day for Model 3 LR. So expect to lose about 21 miles to 28 miles (7% to 9%). I have a X75D which has about the same size battery as the LR3. I parked outside in June at LAX for a week and I lost about 17 miles which is about 7% for the X75D.

I don't know if M3 got the same settings as X, but these were the things I turned off:

Energy Saving -> On
Always Connect -> Off
Cabin Overheat Protection -> Off

Last edited:
I need to go on a trip from a small airport next week. If I use the M3 to get to the airport it will sit in the sun all week waiting for me to get back. How much battery drain should I expect and is there an optimal setting for the "away cool" feature I should consider to help keep some power in the battery? I expect to park with about 70% state of charge and a week later I'll need to drive about 30mi home.
Make sure cabin overheat is off, no third party apps are polling, periodically check your cabin temp on your app and manually turn climate on if getting too hot.

Reactions: MaryAnning3
I think you'll be fine even if overheat protection is on, especially if you only need a 30 mile range to get back. Personally I would leave it off unless I was plugged into a charger. I've found the behavior inconsistent, with losses of a dozen miles or more a day when its turned on.