Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Week old 75D lost 17miles projected range - Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I’ve done a bit of research but can’t find anything about a car this new. I picked up my 75D less than a week ago, and on a 90% charged had projected range (the range displayed on my dash) of 241 miles. After a road trip to get tint/wrap (about 500 miles) and using Superchargers about 5 times, the projected range after getting home and charging overnight is now 224 miles.

I don’t want to fret about desegregation as I know it eventually happens, but this seems rather soon to see nearly a 10% drop. All the forums I read pertain to cars with several months or 10k+ miles so wanted to get thoughts before asking Tesla.

Do you think this is normal?
Does this number fluctuate based on driving habits?

Thanks in advance!

Don't worry too much yet.

The estimated range is not an exact science and fluctuates. Charge it normally for a few cycles and see what happens, including one cycle to say 90%. From what I have seen, many people get 2-3% range lost for the 1st 2 years and then less, like 0.5-1% per year after that. I have lost 1.8% in 35,000km on my s100d after 1 year, but on occasion, a charge will show that I have lost 4-5%, only to recover a couple charges later.

Tips for long battery life:
Operate between 80-20% range
Supercharge when you need to, don't do it instead of l2 charging
If charging to 100%, drive soon after full

Hi All,

I’ve done a bit of research but can’t find anything about a car this new. I picked up my 75D less than a week ago, and on a 90% charged had projected range (the range displayed on my dash) of 241 miles. After a road trip to get tint/wrap (about 500 miles) and using Superchargers about 5 times, the projected range after getting home and charging overnight is now 224 miles.

I don’t want to fret about desegregation as I know it eventually happens, but this seems rather soon to see nearly a 10% drop. All the forums I read pertain to cars with several months or 10k+ miles so wanted to get thoughts before asking Tesla.

Thanks in advance!

With a 90% charge you should be around 218-220 miles.

Reactions: JohnD-Florida
Yes, 224 is right (or close enough to right to not worry). 241 at 90% was never accurate, I strongly suspect you had “ideal” miles displayed vs. “rated”.

Anyway, all is normal, enjoy the car! BTW the absolute best solution to this problem is to change your display to show percentage instead of miles remaining and never look back. :)

Yes, 224 is right (or close enough to right to not worry). 241 at 90% was never accurate, I strongly suspect you had “ideal” miles displayed vs. “rated”.

Anyway, all is normal, enjoy the car! BTW the absolute best solution to this problem is to change your display to show percentage instead of miles remaining and never look back. :)
Either that or, since you described the 241 miles as “projected miles”, perhaps you got that off the energy app and not the battery meter. Projected miles on the energy app is based on recent driving. Rated miles is what is displayed on the battery meter and is based on the EPA test cycle. The car never could have had 241 rated miles at 90% charge.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
My 85 never ever gives the same range at a given %. I have been in over 20 states, different temps, altitudes, weather. It has never given same twice. Its like visiting the super chargers. I keep a log. Same result, never ever same charging rate. Not even same numbers from same charger. There just too many variables to ever gat an exact perfect number twice. I trcal a lot, each gives different numbers. AC, lights, cruise control, etc . Flat riad, mountains.
Please dont get gray hair over the numbers. Enjoy the ride.

Did the capacity of your old gas car stay consistent? Most vehicles change their capacity based upon current driving habits. Maybe you've been driving a brand new vehicle a little aggressively?
I know that my mileage can change a lot more than 10% based upon driving conditions.

My 75D is less than 2 weeks old, and at 90% charge its only ever displayed 213 miles. Should I be concerned and report it? I must admit to expecting a bit more like 220+.

I charge to 85% and get 214 miles consistently, so 213 @ 90% seems low. Be aware that Tesla's have about 3% of "slop" and do not maintain the max charge at all times. If you get unlucky and have only seen the vehicle at the low point, that may account for a bit of the discrepancy. For example, mine seems to run down to about 207 before charging back up to 214.

Maybe try a calibration (running the vehicle down to a low percentage and then back up to 100%). If that doesn't improve things I say give Tesla a call to at least get it on record. They may not do anything immediately, but at least the problem is documented.

Last edited:
Reactions: TimK
My 75D is less than 2 weeks old, and at 90% charge its only ever displayed 213 miles. Should I be concerned and report it? I must admit to expecting a bit more like 220+.
I know this is a point of contention, BUT when I called Tesla Support they logged into my car and said the current software will actually change the projected mileage based on driving habits over the past 30 miles. I know a lot of people say this is not true so I'm just sharing what Tesla told me. He analyzed my usage and said everything is in line. I have no idea if this is actually true but once I get self control and can drive my car without going 0-60 in 4 seconds then I can drive conservative and test it :)

• Funny
Reactions: mburnet6 and TimK
I know this is a point of contention, BUT when I called Tesla Support they logged into my car and said the current software will actually change the projected mileage based on driving habits over the past 30 miles. I know a lot of people say this is not true so I'm just sharing what Tesla told me. He analyzed my usage and said everything is in line. I have no idea if this is actually true but once I get self control and can drive my car without going 0-60 in 4 seconds then I can drive conservative and test it :)
Not a point of contention at all. You're confusing projected range and rated range. No one has said projected range isn't based on driving habits. What people say erroneously is that rated range (the battery meter display) is based on driving habits.

Projected range is what you see in the energy app (Model S and X only). You can switch between an estimate based on the past 5, 15, or 30 miles. Rated range is what the battery meter displays. This is NOT based on driving habits-- it's EPA rated range.

Even some Tesla support people don't understand the difference.

My car has 400 miles on it and I've never been under 60% yet. My 90% charge shows 224-226 on the rated mode. 213 seems low to me. Before I even got the car from what people said at 90% I should see between 218-228

Hi All,

Thanks in advance!
My 75D at 90% was consistently 227 miles

My MS 75D from Sept 2017 has a rated range of about 6-7 miles below publish Rated of 259. There was another thread about this around here somewhere. I also contacted my SC and also did not get a good accurate answer.

So for a MS 75D the Rated (epa) is 259 for 100% charge and mine is about 253 max.

90% would be about (259 x .9) - 6 = 227
80% would be about (259 x .8) - 6 = 201

I have been playing with this (using TeslaFI schedules) and my last nights charging was:
71% = 178 miles
75% = 188 miles
81% = 202 miles

Seems to be holding at the 6-7 miles short of Rated (epa).

As discussed above Projected is based on recent driving so pretty useless for this kind of compare. I would same Ideal is pretty useless as well for a number of reasons.