Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weekend camping in my new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to share some photos from this weekend. It was my first road trip in the new Y and first time camping ever. I used camp mode and it was perfect. Loving the Model Y so far!

R5A_0574.jpg
R5A_0561.jpg

R5A_0495.jpg
R5A_0515.jpg
R5A_0476.jpg

R5A_0543.jpg

R5A_0548.jpg

WOW, great photos! 👍 Reminds me of our roadtrip to West Coast in 2010. My GF and I drove almost 5.000 miles (AZ, UT, NV, CA), renting a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan, often sleeping in the car. The new reality with two small kids and covid makes such roadtrips almost impossible for us Europeans, so I am greatful for your thread. 🤩

I was wondering where you could charge up in order to get to Mt Whitney. Looking it up, I was surprised to see there are Superchargers in Lone Pine (8 stations and very close to Whitney) and Bishop (12 stations) which are kind of the middle of nowhere. I guess it must be due to the traffic from southern Calif to ski at Mammoth.

I was wondering where you could charge up in order to get to Mt Whitney. Looking it up, I was surprised to see there are Superchargers in Lone Pine (8 stations and very close to Whitney) and Bishop (12 stations) which are kind of the middle of nowhere. I guess it must be due to the traffic from southern Calif to ski at Mammoth.

Yea I saw photos of the place and wanted to check it out but I thought there wouldn't be charging close enough. The Lone Pine chargers were perfect. I had a short wait because there are only 8, I imagine in the summer it gets pretty busy.

Nice! Will need to learn about how camping mode works. Was thinking there must be some way, and have had ideas of running over to Grand Targhee, or Jackson, if they are getting snow and we aren't, which sometimes happens with how the storms tend to pass through. Both places will be within range to chargers and etc. too. Of course, my car isn't supposed to get here until now July, originally June, so that will be next season for that type of camping. I can find another way to test it out before that I am sure. Mountain bike excursion or something.

Reactions: chopper2585
So I read a bit, and watched a couple YouTube vids and have the idea. All looks good! Thinking I might want one of the memory foam mattresses, either 4 or 6 inch like BeardedTeslaGuy has in his vid, rather than a blow up like some guy out of Iowa I think demonstrated.

Looks like it should all work fine for me for these trips closer to home, even during winter. And being able to plug in overnight will be a good option. Will learn also how to adjust the HVAC to provide a little warmth to take the edge off but not be blasting the fan too much. Anyone know how to do that? I would guess there is something in the HVAC settings.

Would also be nice for when DryDocking, if there was a way to power the overnight systems at least via solar. I do that in my “real” truck camper, with just a portable foldable set of panels and cords to my battery, as I am just running lights and devices. But there I am not running an electric heater. Would be interesting to see if such an option ever comes around.

When charging at Lone Pine, be sure to visit the amazing Cowboy Movie Museum right next door (Donation). Not only does it have Movie memorabilia of the many Cowboy movies made in the area, but also the Puppet Graboids from the movie Tremors. See how Technicolor cameras worked and why movie sets had to use such bright lighting.

Reactions: Johnny Vector