TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Weekly capacity at Fremont will be at least 2,500 after upgrade of Body Line in 2015.

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Benz, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Benz

Benz Active Member

#1 Benz, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    After having listened to Elon Musk, JB Straubel and Deepak Ahuja on the Conference Call yesterday, I have to conclude the following:

There is only one Assembly line, and this Assembly Line has now been upgraded (more efficient, more automation, resulting in a higher production capacity per week). Production will start again on August 4th, 2014. The Body Line will be upgraded in Q1 2015.

In reply to Ben Kallo with Robert W. Baird: "Regarding the production (capacity) increase to a level of 100,000 unit a year, by the end of next year. Some other step to get you to that level?"

Elon Musk: "Well, there is a big step that´s expected to occur in Q1 next year (2015). Which is the bring up of the S/X Body Line. So, what we did in the past two weeks is the Assembly Line, where it´s basically that the bits get put together. But then the Body Line is where the body itself is welded and bonded together, where in fact the core skeleton of the car is created ..... We are gonna bring the Body Line up in parrallel with the current Line. Unlike this case with the Assembly (Line), we didn´t have two complete Assembly Lines, we had to stop and retool. In the case of the new S/X Body Line, which is a line that has been designed to be capable of 2,500 units a week, maybe more than that. Conservatively 2,500 units a week. At a lower cost point. We should be able to do that in parrallel (Model S + Model X). Another really big upgrade is the Paint Shop. There are a few cases where advanced CapEx spending makes sense even though it's gonna pay of in two to three years. But it's such a big improvement that you kinda wanna do it, even at a high discount rate. Our Paint Shop is being upgraded and it's gonna be the most advanced Automotive Paint Shop in the world. It's expensive to do that."

My question now is: "Can we assume/conclude that the Tesla Fremont Factory will have a production capacity of at least 2,500 cars a week (Model S + Model X), by the end of Q1 2015?

Please post your comments/arguments both if you agree or disagree with this assumption/conclusion.

Thanks

2. 30seconds

30seconds Active Member

assuming 50 weeks and 100,000 target I think we can conclude that there should be at least production capacity for at least 2,000 cars a week (S + X) by the end of Q4 2015. We don't know if there is a production bottleneck downstream of the Body Line. Based on the comments however - 1. (assuming conservative word parsing) it seems that if there is a downstream bottleneck they should be able to improve by Q4 2015 to get to 2,500 per week and 2. (not so conservative) these comments, along with comments for demand, may indicate that they are shooting for something higher.

3. DaveT

DaveT Searcher of green pastures

No way Tesla will have production capacity of 2,500 cars/week by end of Q1 2015. It takes a lot of moving parts to increase capacity and just because the Body Line has a theoretical capacity of 2,500 doesn't mean that the entire factory can produce that. You need to increase all segments of the line for that. Also, there are many parts that Tesla is producing internally as well. And suppliers have different timelines to ramp as well.

Tesla has a goal of producing 2000 cars/week by end of 2015 (ie., 100k annual production run rate), and that in of itself will be quite a feat to pull off.

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Most advanced paint shop in the world. Would love to know details. Hopefully they diversify their colors from shades of black too.

5. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Better durability and more colors, YAY!

6. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

I'm hoping "most advanced paint shop in the world" translates to "the return of Very Orange".

I realize that I'm in a small segment of the market :)

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I'm part of that market segment!

8. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I wonder if the most advanced paint shop in the world could translate to pick any color. Enter a paint code, paint to sample, etc.

9. RABaby

RABaby Member

Better still, and another crushing blow to the rest of the industry - self-healing, nanotechnology. And even better would be if the owner could return to Tesla and they could communicate with the paint and have it change colors. That would be efficient because all cars would be painted the same neutral color and then programmed at delivery.

But I probably have been watching too Iron Man movies.

10. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

I think the bottleneck will continue to be battery/battery pack supply. You can make lots of skeletons, paint lots of cars but until the GF is up and running I doubt Panasonic can supply enough batteries by the end of 2015 to get to a production level of 2500/week. I think it is amazing that they feel so confident they will hit 2K per week by end of 2015

11. 30seconds

30seconds Active Member

Brilliant!!

12. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Remember, Elon said without the GF they can still manufacture 150k-200k cars per year inn 2017.

Isn't Samsung going to help supply battery cells for the Model X?

Tesla Confirms That Its Working on a Battery Cell Deal With Samsung SDI for Model X | Inside EVs

13. Benz

Benz Active Member

14. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

sRGB 24 bit true color? Enter your six digit hex color code, choose metallic or not, 33.4 million choices?

With newer technology, it's probably doable, and would certainly be quite the competitive advantage. Though it might make the ordering decision process harder... :)

15. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

TM just bought a state of the art automated painting system from a German manufacturer. I remember reading about it but can't remember where...'old brain syndrome'. Anyone have that info? If we can get it and look up the equipment purchased it may give you a better idea of the capabilities in the new paint shop at TM. I recall it would allow TM to paint 500K vehicles per year.

16. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Diarmuid O'Connell presented slides at TMC Connect that gave extra details about the factory expansion. He showed a phased expansion over the next three quarters:
    1. Model S/X High Volume Assembly Line, Summer 2014
    2. Battery Module Line 2, Summer 2014
    3. High Volume Battery Pack Line, Summer 2014
    4. Drive Unit Line, Autumn 2014
    5. Model S/X Body Center, Early 2015

From my recollection of the factory layout and the slides he presented, the new High Volume Assembly Line and Drive Unit Line are in portions of the factory not currently in use, but the new Body Center area is (I think) part of the current production area, directly west of the stamping center.

17. Thumper

Thumper Member

Custom colors for extra $ could be profitable. It would be nice if the S and X could be almost any color. Bentley and Ferrari offer a really enormous palette. Their sites are fun to look at for colors.

18. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

And yet what was reported was high failure rate of drive chains.........this would have been the info to present on tmc

19. heems

heems Member

Brilliant. Why not? If the local Home Depot can make any color based on a code (using rgb and black cartridge like a printer) why couldn't this be done? Better yet why hasn't this been done already? No automotive paint expert here. Anyone in the field know the reasons?

20. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Elon did not say 2017 but I think it was implied in the question. If GF is not online as scheduled how many units could you build.