Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weighing Rejoining the Tesla Family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model X 100D, AP2.0, 6 seat, custom order, delivery April 2017. 11k miles. No problems. FWIW, the interior feels better than our original Model S 70D (2015). No problems with FWD. [knock on wood here...]

Originally BMW X5, 5 series, 3 series owner (among others). Wife never liked our prior SUVs and would refuse to drive them. Now I can’t pry her out of the X... especially since it has BioWeapon Defense Mode...(joke of course...)

The minor issues are still worth it. We have had our 75D for 2 months and 3k miles. I was unlucky and got the charge port issue with December build but that was easily fixed along with some small clear
Coat issues on the hood. I've since found we have one fwd door seal that is slightly misaligned and allows water to drip into rear seat when door opened in rain, have appt Thursday to get that fixed.

It's really about how you live your life. Do you see these minor issues as a life ending catastrophe that require you to rant on the forums all day long? If yes, please pass, that membership quota has been met here at TMC.

If, however, you purchase knowing there could be some minor issues and your willing to deal with it then do proceed. I live 2 hours from a service center, I still don't care. I get to take a nice drive in my Tesla and I get to drive a loaner for a few days and try something different.

I purchased an early VIN model X and took delivery 3/17. It has been in service 13 times in 8 months total of 43 days. Tesla is now repurchasing my car. Despite of all this, I can not imagine driving anything else. I will be purchasing another MUCH higher VIN inventory MX once they are back in stock. Hope this helps.

How low is the VIN?

Hi All. As you can see from my signature, I am a previous owner of a Model S P85+. I owned that car for a little over a year before life forced me to make a move to a multi-tenant apartment where I was not able to charge the car, and I ended up selling it.

My relationship with that car was a bit tortured. On the one hand, I am a huge believer in Tesla's mission, and believed the Model S was truly a revolutionary automobile. Electrification of the automobile is inevitable and not just a novelty. I grinned a lot driving that thing. On the other hand, I was on a first name basis with the team at the Fremont Service Center, visiting them nearly a dozen times in the first year of ownership with all manner of fit and finish issues as well as two drive unit failures.

I'm moving back into a single family home now and have the option to go fully electric again. I'm currently driving a BMW 530e (since moving into this apartment building, they gained limited charging access), and in anticipation of our family growing and the need for more of a utility vehicle, had been weighing an upgrade into a MY 2019 X5 eDrive, when those are announced this summer.

At the same time, there's a part of me that really would love to be back in a full BEV. I know that Tesla can't really touch BMW when it comes to interior fit and finish. Overall driving dynamics, either. But for the 99% of the time that I'm not driving Angeles Crest Highway, I still feel like the fully electric drivetrain is the most ideal way to get through Bay Area stop-and-go traffic.

Long story short: I'm wondering if current owners can give me some perspective on what assimilating back into the Tesla family would be like. With the Model X am I in for more of the same, with respect to being in and out of the service center every other month? Has this improved at all since 2015? I suspect that the Model S as a platform has matured considerably in terms of production tolerances, but am wondering if by buying into a Model X I'm basically going back in time in terms of build maturity. I see a number of you posting issues here that make me worry that that's true. But perhaps there is a silent majority who have Model X's that...just work?

Appreciate any and all feedback for a previous owner like myself considering jumping back in.

Bought into it last spring. Took delivery early April. 21,000 miles later, everything is fine. A couple times it went in for a rattling speaker and a squeak in one FWD. Other than that its been fantastic. Just dont wreck it. That takes forever. Just go mine back from body shop after driving into garage with FWD fully open... 7 weeks. But, they did a great job and cant tell anything happened.

Being banished back to ICE life for a couple months made me appreciate this thing much more than I think I did.

Tesla is fixing the production line so you should definitely wait and order a refreshed model in the summer released after the shareholders meeting.
Yeah. I was feeling some pressure on trying to order before the Supercharger referral promo went away, but I also did some math and given how few road trips I take, I don't think it really matters that much as I likely won't exceed the built-in 400 kWH benefit.

I also saw that just today the delivery date slipped from March to June.

ouch, my car is 0068XX and it's what i would call an early vin. the car is noisey and creaks and groans like an old car. it's been in service more times than i can count and i can't wait to get into a newer one.

I've driven the latest VIN X's (74XXX) and they are an absolute dream! quiet, no weird noises, reduced wind noise (the car i drove had over 1000 miles on it as well) and overall an impressive car!

I still love my car (going to servie tomorrow, LOL!) but can't wait for the lease to end. (i might sell the lease soon and just get another X)

ouch, my car is 0068XX and it's what i would call an early vin. the car is noisey and creaks and groans like an old car. it's been in service more times than i can count and i can't wait to get into a newer one.

I've driven the latest VIN X's (74XXX) and they are an absolute dream! quiet, no weird noises, reduced wind noise (the car i drove had over 1000 miles on it as well) and overall an impressive car!

I still love my car (going to servie tomorrow, LOL!) but can't wait for the lease to end. (i might sell the lease soon and just get another X)

You were smart to lease it. I completely agree with you. I drove a brand new P100D loaner, completely different feel. I have stopped paying attention to what's happening with my car since I am turning it in this Monday, but just in the last few weeks driver window developed a terrible wind noise, window barely goes up with some kicking sounds coming from inside the door. I am hoping to 70,000+ VIN inventory car, but I will be Teslaless for a while :(

X is fantastic & the best vehicle I've ever owned (have owned BMSs, Mercedes, Porches)....after early latch/quarter door panel/front wheel sensor issues within (early X purchaser) first few months I've now gone 18 months without issues (changed tires and have performed annual service every 12.5K miles). Shudder seems to be the biggest complaint among users but Tesla has been willing to change drive shafts to mitigate.

btw: we have AP v1 which has been incredibly steady for quite some time and is quite an asset during our long FL-NC drives.....other versions have different AP issues.

Reactions: mal_tsla
They don't just apply your purchase price to your new car, right? I assume there's depreciation. Like a dollar for every mile driven, etc?
No, they are separate transactions like you'd be selling to a private party. I'd order the new car from the website, wait for delivery, apply loan, etc.

For depreciation, they are using CA lemon formula, namely (miles driven @ 1st occurrence / 120,000) * $total_purchase_price. My issue occurred @ 5k miles. Car currently has 15k miles.

You were smart to lease it. I completely agree with you. I drove a brand new P100D loaner, completely different feel. I have stopped paying attention to what's happening with my car since I am turning it in this Monday, but just in the last few weeks driver window developed a terrible wind noise, window barely goes up with some kicking sounds coming from inside the door. I am hoping to 70,000+ VIN inventory car, but I will be Teslaless for a while :(
i wouldn't have got the car if i couldn't lease it, not because of the cost, but because these cars are changing so quickly that i want to be able to jump into the next best thing at the end of my lease. (i'm guessing some changes will be released very soon like Q2?)

i wouldn't have got the car if i couldn't lease it, not because of the cost, but because these cars are changing so quickly that i want to be able to jump into the next best thing at the end of my lease. (i'm guessing some changes will be released very soon like Q2?)

You are correct, except Tesla has terrible leases. I consider myself somewhat of a lease expert and Tesla's are some of the worst out there. Plus with the buy and having a business you get tax credit and can do section 179 deduction. So even with huge depreciation you can still come out ahead. Everyone's situation is different.

You are correct, except Tesla has terrible leases. I consider myself somewhat of a lease expert and Tesla's are some of the worst out there. Plus with the buy and having a business you get tax credit and can do section 179 deduction. So even with huge depreciation you can still come out ahead. Everyone's situation is different.
well you have to look for the good lease options on a demo ;) :D

My car's original lease was $2400-$2500/month for a nearly fully loaded P90D. however i got a demo car that was almost a year old and had 1178 miles on it. My lease is now only $1182/month. (car was reduced from $138K down to $111K for reference)

this paired with my $60/month insurance & $10-$15 electricity bill increase makes it pretty much the same cost as my old gas powered car including fuel and insurance every month.