Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weight difference from RWD and AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they had a 60D for a short time between late 2014 when the Ds were introduced and early 2015 when the 70 replaced the 60. They wouldn't be common.

The only significant difference between the rear wheel drive and dual motor cars is the RWD car has one large motor and the AWD cars have two smaller motors. The extra equipment around the front axle to support the second motor is probably most of the extra 176 pounds.

The 60D gets a little better range because the car's firmware can torque sleep one of the motors when running at highway speeds. It all depends on if you can afford the extra $5000 or not.

I think they had a 60D for a short time between late 2014 when the Ds were introduced and early 2015 when the 70 replaced the 60. They wouldn't be common.
Yes, the 60D was announced along with the 85D and P85D back in Oct 2014, during same announcement for Autopilot. At the time they said The 60D and 85D would start shipping in Feb 2015, but then around mid 2015 they announced the 70kWhr battery replacing the 60, so I'm not sure how many of those "old" 60D shipped, if any.

Of course there is an "older 60". I own one. 60's were first sold as a 60kwh car and then discontinued because not enough people bought them. The new 60, a software limited 75 was recently intruduced to lure model 3 waiters to move up. There is a huge difference between the two cars. Mine doesn't have turn by turn nav, which is now standard. It also doesn't supercharge near as quickly as the new one.

• Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec