Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weight of forged and cast wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a set of both and weighed them without tires. The forged were lighter and it was significant but I can't remember how much. Beyond weight, the forged are a lot stronger. I don't have as many problems with pot holes.

Wouldn't the forged rims show some improvement in range due to less rotational mass? Curious if there was any noticeable difference in range or kw/h consumption.

So in essence city efficiency would see an increase but long range driving not as much since the mass is rolling and energy has been invested to bring it up to that state already.

In addition, the wheel is closer to the centre of rotation than the tire, so the weight of the tire has more impact on energy use during acceleration. What the lighter wheel will do is reduce the unsprung weight which will reduce damage from potholes and reduce energy use on washboard surfaces.

Regarding the weight of Roadster wheels, I found this reply below:

"I changed brake pads today so I weighed the wheels. I have a set of both unused cast and used lighter weight forged ones on the car. Both were supplied by Tesla UK.

The front 16" forged wheel with part worn tyre weighed in at 14.9 kg. (32 lbs)
An used 16" cast wheel with unused tyre weighs 18.0 kg (39 lbs)

Difference of about 18% lighter.

The rear 17" forged wheel with part worn tyre weight in at 18.1 kg (39 lbs)
The rear 17" cast wheel with new tyre weighed 22.2kg (48 lbs)

Difference of about 19%.

Hope this helps .."

Has anyone weighed their stock wheels without tires?