Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird autopilot behaviour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was on the highway yesterday running with AP and it was working flawless for about an hour, but then for some reason my car started to slow down pretty aggressively. There wasn’t a car in front of me for at least a km and the road was clear, so I’m not sure what happened. The car stayed in the lane but it was a bit jarring to slow down so quickly without any warning. I tightened my grip pretty quick and popped AP off and continued on my trip. No real danger since I was holding the wheel, but it was a pretty strange thing for it to do give the clear road and perfect driving conditions. Maybe it saw a ghost :)

Anyone else see any strangeness with AP?

I mostly drive on surface streets and this "slow down" for no reason is the only real complaint I have with 2018.21.9. And in my case it is not at a over pass or next to an off ramp or the normal stuff. Just driving down a 2 lane (each way) surface street.

Mine does the same occasionally when the nose of the car lowers when there is a dip in the road. Happened once when a treeline ended and there was a truck hidden on the roadside that suddenly appeared.

Actually my X pulled a weird slowdown recently, but I managed to figure out why: I was on a 4 lane highway just passing an offramp, and my car was reading the offramp speed limits, and trying to implement them, meaning it went from 100 km/h limit to 50 km/h limit.