Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird bushing found and noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Model 3 Performance Plus

I have had the front control arms replaced by the service center twice - not sure what generation they are. Car makes horrible squeak noise when it is cold out, but, it doesn't really make much noise when warm.

Any ideas what this deterioriated bushing is from? I have found two in the driveway - one last year and one recently (just before the noise started again, but, it also just got cold).

It was round, and it has (more like had) little nubs on the inside.

Any thoughts? are they from the FUCAs?

Attachments

• image_67206657.JPG
    image_67206657.JPG
    417 KB · Views: 103
  • image_67188481.JPG
    image_67188481.JPG
    698.3 KB · Views: 82
  • image_67166209.JPG
    image_67166209.JPG
    611.7 KB · Views: 75
@Occhis - Thanks for the reply.

I swapped in winter wheels yesterday and took the opportunity to look around. My FUCAs have goop at the top, so, they probably just executed that half-fix (thanks Rockville Service Center). That explains the horrible, and typical, FUCA noise. I visually inspected the tie rods, sway bar endlinks, control arm bushings, and axle. I didn't see anything that looks like it was missing this particular part. It does look like my lower front (rearmost) control arm bushing is torn though.

I am planning to replace the FUCAs at some point for autocross, I wonder if I should just bite the bullet and do it now instead of when the warrantee runs out.

I have a 2020 MY. You described my problem (horrible squeak noise when it is cold out, no noise when warm). I have a SC appointment next week.

Had the car in SC a few days before problem started in response to a recall. Never had any problem with the car before.

If your diagnosis of your problem is correct is the car safe to drive? Is the repair major?

I have a 2020 MY. You described my problem (horrible squeak noise when it is cold out, no noise when warm). I have a SC appointment next week.

Had the car in SC a few days before problem started in response to a recall. Never had any problem with the car before.

If your diagnosis of your problem is correct is the car safe to drive? Is the repair major?
The car is safe to drive if the noise is caused by the front upper control arm.

As far as that rubber bushing, it looks too old and deteriorated to be from your 2018 Model 3. And it doesn't go in the ball joint area where the cause of the front upper control arm noise originates. It probably belongs to some other old vehicle that has parked in your driveway.