Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird buzzing noise when above 40mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I drive over 40mph, my new (purchased in Dec 2021) M3LR, make a weird bussing noise.

I have deduced the following:
- It is not wind noise. It is almost like a very rapid ticking/bussing noise.
- It does not coincide with the HVAC system. The sound still happens even when the air conditioning is turned off.
- The sound is intermittent without any relation to road conditions (suggesting a rattle because of a rough road)
- The sound happens above 40mph
- You can hear it regardless of if you have no music, quiet music or loud music (Although when it is loud music, I presume it drowns it out so you cant hear it)

It seems to be coming from the interior, and the front. If I turn my head toward the passenger side, I can only hear it in my right ear (right-hand drive), suggesting it is coming from the dashboard.

Someone in another forum posted this sound clip, and it is 100% the exact same sound I am hearing.

I took it in for a service to have it looked at, and they stated the front number plate was loose and they tightened it, so it should "All be fixed". On the way home, i heard it again, and no way was it an exterior noise.

Has anyone else had this noise/issue, and if so did you find out what it was and did you get it fixed?

Nothing under the bonnet rattling about? Check the trim panel over the 12 v battery is all clipped in. Also worth putting the heating system airflow to recycle to reduce the amount of noise transmitted from outside to try and narrow down where the noise is coming from.

Nothing under the bonnet rattling about? Check the trim panel over the 12 v battery is all clipped in. Also worth putting the heating system airflow to recycle to reduce the amount of noise transmitted from outside to try and narrow down where the noise is coming from.
Thanks, yeah it is quite hard to drive at 40mph and try to move around to try and find the source of the issue. Bit annoying that it doesnt happen when stationary so I can try and find the source from every position... 😂

Do you know if there are any fans in the dashboard? When my computer at home is running hot, the fans kick in and one of them makes the exact same noise as this. But I know nothing about the 'internal organs' of the model 3 and what components it uses.

Check the passenger door trim panel. It can make a weird buzzing noise. Also worth using a tone generator app on your phone and turning the volume up, as that can identify loose components over something that's mechanical and not working.

Update: Tried the tone generator, and apart from making me feel nauseous, it didn't bring up any noises.
I did find a slight rattle from the driverside-door speaker, but not the right sound (as described in the OP), and was fixed by just pushing it a little.

I've got a feeling (again from my limited knowledge) that it is something within the dashboard as when I am driving it is very hard to identify the source. Almost like it is coming from the entire Dashboard rather than say a door panel.

Reactions: Yev000
Update: Tried the tone generator, and apart from making me feel nauseous, it didn't bring up any noises.
I did find a slight rattle from the driverside-door speaker, but not the right sound (as described in the OP), and was fixed by just pushing it a little.

I've got a feeling (again from my limited knowledge) that it is something within the dashboard as when I am driving it is very hard to identify the source. Almost like it is coming from the entire Dashboard rather than say a door panel.
May be the little alien Nicola Tesla mentioned talking to him is making that noise :) Jokes apart, there are cooling systems for heat pumps etc., near the front that can make those noise. Are you moving from an ICE car to electric? Sometime the quietness of it can all exaggerate any noise coming from dashboard.

Last edited:
Not sure if it will help, but I had a strange noise I could swear was coming from inside the dash, but no amount of pushing on different bits made any difference. After a long time I discovered that if I touched the headlining near the speaker on the A pillar the noise stopped, it was nothing to do with the dash at all.

Tesla took the car in and someone worked for a day adding foam tape, I could see on TeslaFi the 6 or so trips they made trying to prove they had stopped it. That evening I was told that it would be another day as it had failed QC by the service manager, and the next day they have another 3 or 4 trips around West Drayton before telling it me it was done. Car was then perfect.

When I drive over 40mph, my new (purchased in Dec 2021) M3LR, make a weird bussing noise.

I have deduced the following:
- It is not wind noise. It is almost like a very rapid ticking/bussing noise.
- It does not coincide with the HVAC system. The sound still happens even when the air conditioning is turned off.
- The sound is intermittent without any relation to road conditions (suggesting a rattle because of a rough road)
- The sound happens above 40mph
- You can hear it regardless of if you have no music, quiet music or loud music (Although when it is loud music, I presume it drowns it out so you cant hear it)

It seems to be coming from the interior, and the front. If I turn my head toward the passenger side, I can only hear it in my right ear (right-hand drive), suggesting it is coming from the dashboard.

Someone in another forum posted this sound clip, and it is 100% the exact same sound I am hearing.

I took it in for a service to have it looked at, and they stated the front number plate was loose and they tightened it, so it should "All be fixed". On the way home, i heard it again, and no way was it an exterior noise.

Has anyone else had this noise/issue, and if so did you find out what it was and did you get it fixed?
It might be your window seal rubbing against the glass.

Try opening the window 1mm one by one and see if it goes away. If it does, get some rubber care and treat it...

It might also be something mundane, like your sunglasses in the centre console.

I have the exact same noise on my Nov 2021 LR. Mine is intermittent and seems to start above about 50-60. I haven’t managed to work out where it is coming from. I did think it was related to strong winds blowing on the car in a certain direction.

May be the little alien Nicola Tesla mentioned talking to him is making that noise :) Jokes apart, there are cooling systems for heat pumps etc., near the front that can make those noise. Are you moving from an ICE car to electric? Sometime the quietness of it can all exaggerate any noise coming from dashboard.
ha.

yeah my initial thought was that it sounded like bubbles inside a liquid cooled component. Sometimes my water cooled computer makes virtually the same noise when some air bubbles pass through the pump. Just weird that it is at 40+ mph (unless something in there needs cooling more at certain temps)

Try emptying all the contents from the glove box, boot, and even mats. Put all head rest down and go for a drive? I'm suspecting the usb stick or some cable.
Well I've only had it for 1 month, and the car is completely empty of stuff (except the usb in the glovebox, and the charger cables in the boot)

It is also odd that the second i hit 40mph it kicks in. and then is intermittent like the sound i linked to in the OP

Not sure if it will help, but I had a strange noise I could swear was coming from inside the dash, but no amount of pushing on different bits made any difference. After a long time I discovered that if I touched the headlining near the speaker on the A pillar the noise stopped, it was nothing to do with the dash at all.

Tesla took the car in and someone worked for a day adding foam tape, I could see on TeslaFi the 6 or so trips they made trying to prove they had stopped it. That evening I was told that it would be another day as it had failed QC by the service manager, and the next day they have another 3 or 4 trips around West Drayton before telling it me it was done. Car was then perfect.
Hmm i shall have to try that tomorrow.
West Drayton service people called me and said he couldnt actually hear what i was hearing. Annoyingly i dont have TeslaFi, so can't verify that they even took it out for a drive. He just said the front number palte was loose, but it didnt sound like that, and it isn't actually fixed.

I'm sure I read on here there was an issue at one time with loose insulation behind the 'wood' dash trim panel?

It is pretty easy to pop it off and have a look - R Symons have a video on YouTube changing the trim panel which shows how its done. 5 minute job evidently.

Here you go
I'll try to get my passenger to push on bits when driving to see if they can find the source.

I would hate to have to wait another 2 weeks for a courtesy car and for them to not fix it 😂 so would rather try and diagnose as much as possible

It might be your window seal rubbing against the glass.

Try opening the window 1mm one by one and see if it goes away. If it does, get some rubber care and treat it...

It might also be something mundane, like your sunglasses in the centre console.
Funnily enough, the service place also looked at that as my windows were incredibly squeaky. which they fixed by adjusting the seals. So doubt it could be that. I'll have a go though!

That sounds exactly like the coil whine from a wireless charger. My phone makes that same sound every night on the charging pad. As I adjust the position on the pad I can usually find a sweet spot where it can barely be heard. Haven't heard it from the car yet, nor can I figure why speed would be related. Might not be your issue but look up some YouTube of wireless charging coil whine and compare.

E.g.

That sounds exactly like the coil whine from a wireless charger. My phone makes that same sound every night on the charging pad. As I adjust the position on the pad I can usually find a sweet spot where it can barely be heard. Haven't heard it from the car yet, nor can I figure why speed would be related. Might not be your issue but look up some YouTube of wireless charging coil whine and compare.

E.g.
It's a electric motor making noise above 40mph, I heard that sound before

I’ve got the same noise in my MX (2019). Without sounding too precise I used to have exactly the same noise in my previous car which I found out was a bunch of vibrating pens and biros with a worn out elastic band holding them together. I don’t have these pens in the MX :( so I don’t know where the noise is coming from - although it does seem to be in the direction of the glove box.

Reactions: haoyuan wu