Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird buzzing sound after updating to 2022.24.6 [Fixed in 2022.36.1]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never had this issue but today when me car got 2022.24.6 i noticed after the update this werid buzzing sound coming from the car

I did reset and power off/on with no luck

Opened service request with Tesla and waiting there reaponse but wanted to see if anyone experienced this.

Because the sound seems (not 100% sure coming from the frunk toward the lower side) i am worried something wrong with the battery so i moved the car outside the garage away from my other Tesla waiting for the service center to respond.

Yup. I have exactly that noise after moving from 2022.24.5 to 2022.28.2. Just starting to read the thread.

Can anyone with a PRE-REFRESH chime in and say whether theirs is making this noise? I'm on the .5 release just before all this, and wish there was a way to delete the file so it stops nagging me to install the update.

I only have a 2014, but it has a new battery from 2022 so I don't know if whatever is making this noise will still happen in my car. Probably just going to deal with the nagging unless there's a way to delete that file.

I don’t get it — how do you use a stethoscope to determine where the noise is coming from?
I didn’t need it to track most of the rattles and squeaks but the rattle I had in the B-pillar was very hard to locate because I could only hear it while driving in certain conditions.
I removed the trims and couldn’t find anything, with the statoscope I could listen up against the surface and heard it’s getting louder as I go down so it helped finding the exact spot where the noise came from so I started to look in the area and found those bolts.

Probably since I got 28.2 just couple of days ago.
I wouldn’t hold my hopes high for .36 as the fix…if the fix was around then why not to implement it on 28.2

Probably not that simple, - these features/bug-fixes are on a roadmap (no matter how small they are) I'd wager. That said, I'm looking forward to being amazed if/when Tesla does fix this. It would not surprise me if the software engineers still have no idea it's even a thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: coco135
Use the Tessie to monitor your car's activity including when it's asleep and battety drain. Set the app to not wake the car. Tessie comes with a free trial period. It would be informative to see your car's sleep pattern. My 2022 MSLR wakes about every 6 hours for about 20 minutes. I need to look to see if the battery looses more juice than normal with the buzzing. Gotta let it sit for about a day and a half.
My 2022 Feb MSLR has been sitting for 25hrs and has lost 1% (as seen by the Tessie app) battery. Same as it did pre-buzz software. Also, as seen with Tessie, it was automatically awakened four times with an additional two times as I walked by it. Only 1% battery loss. This tells me the buzzing is not a drain on the battery.

My 2022 Feb MSLR has been sitting for 25hrs and has lost 1% (as seen by the Tessie app) battery. Same as it did pre-buzz software. Also, as seen with Tessie, it was automatically awakened four times with an additional two times as I walked by it. Only 1% battery loss. This tells me the buzzing is not a drain on the battery.
This is encouraging… Despite it sounding like a significant electrical draw, it may not be.

This is just anecdotal but it seemed to increase the draw while using sentry mode....

During a recent business trip I planned to park the car for 4 days at the airport. I parked it in a fairly low traffic area and had hoped to be able to keep sentry on for the entirety of my trip.

But in the matter of just a few hours, I lost 20 miles of range. Turned off sentry as I feared not having enough charge by the time I returned.

Once sentry was off, I only lost a coupe % each day, as expected, but I don't remember sentry being on running it down that fast before?

Always possible I had more traffic near it than I originally thought which kept waking it up but I knew I would be busy that week and wouldn't have time to keep checking in (which would have killed it faster anyway) so I just left sentry off. Figured Id try it again once the next version comes out.

This is just anecdotal but it seemed to increase the draw while using sentry mode....

During a recent business trip I planned to park the car for 4 days at the airport. I parked it in a fairly low traffic area and had hoped to be able to keep sentry on for the entirety of my trip.

But in the matter of just a few hours, I lost 20 miles of range. Turned off sentry as I feared not having enough charge by the time I returned.

Once sentry was off, I only lost a coupe % each day, as expected, but I don't remember sentry being on running it down that fast before?

Always possible I had more traffic near it than I originally thought which kept waking it up but I knew I would be busy that week and wouldn't have time to keep checking in (which would have killed it faster anyway) so I just left sentry off. Figured Id try it again once the next version comes out.
Sentry is a massive power drain as it is. The brain of the car and all cameras are left switched on. Without using a tracking app (TeslaMate/Tessie etc) I wouldn’t read too much into the drain.

Wish I had a solution as well after 30+ pages of reading but sounds like Papa Elon is going to have to prioritize this one through software patch. Did notice that these last couple of weeks here in MD at least has been much cooler (mid 50s compared to 85F) and it would seem the buzzing sound is significantly quieter than during the hot days. As we all continue to speculate which "part" this could be emanating from it would lend more credibility to something cooling and or heat pump related vs. just the high voltage or battery system in general. Is anyone else able to correlate my findings with their own? Specifically -> lower outdoor ambient temperatures = less audible buzzing? To be clear, the buzzy whine is still there and thanks to "Golden Ears" training I know the frequency of whine remains the same. Just the amplitude (dB) seems quieter with cooler weather thus far.

Reactions: geordi