Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird buzzing sound after updating to 2022.24.6 [Fixed in 2022.36.1]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
honest question, why is everyone getting so worked up by the buzzing? reading through comments it almost feels like this buzzing will deter them from ever purchasing another tesla again - is the buzzing that serious? does it affect the cars drivability or performance in some way?
I agree, it is not a big deal for me since it is not a safety isue with will be fixed in a month or so. The sound is sporadic and as my sits in the garage I hardly hear it. As I am on my second MS I have encountered several annoyances. I guess OTA is a double edge sword. They add new functionalities that is unheard of in other cars but they also introduce some problems. If anyone who has worked in the SW area will tell you that changes to the SW code always creates issues no matter how much you test it.

Reactions: navguy12 and SDRick
2022.28.2 update didn't solve the buzzing. I guess I've gotten used to deal with it, when the car is asleep it shots off. I've had ICE SUV's and cars that were more expensive than my Tesla MS that came with huge headaches while under warranty that was never fixed and most of the mileage that SUV got was from getting loaded into jerrdan tow trucks and getting off from it. Bought a brand new minivan for my dogs, it wasn't even a 900 miles when it just died. 4 months at the dealer and was told it was fixed which was a big lie of the century. So, little inconvenience of buzzing sound is not the end of the world. BTW, this is my first Tesla and I love it!

• Disagree
Reactions: AMPd and kazamm
Please let us know what your service person says the issue is what was the fix (other than it will be fixed with an OTA update).
So my car installed 2022.28.2 last night. Following muzhik’s suggestions, powered off sentry, hard close on the Tesla app and no phone or key fobs near the car, and this morning the noise is gone. It took an hour of this for the noise to cease after the installation of the firmware. I will turn on sentry (from far away) to see if the noise stays off.

2022 Model S Dual Motor

I really can’t believe it would take that long to fix either. Just unacceptable. Can you imagine if something like this happened to Apple? The whole media/consumers would just crucify them, but Apple would have a fix almost immediately. T

Tesla should be lambasted for this and make it a big media issue, ie questioning if their car is safe to drive and that will get it fixed. As a new Tesla owner it is unsettling, when you think your car might possible catch fire. Who knows…. This needs to be fixed now and I am blasting Elon on twitter and so should everyone else. Media needs to pick this up too.

I have really enjoyed my Tesla experience so far, but the biggest disappointments are the software upgrades. Not one change to the drivers console, the media interface Is really bad (no presents or real favorites, no media on drivers console, etc) and 3/Y owners get upgrades before S/X do, like being able to move blind spot, etc. Meanwhile, Tesla adds a new game or another so called FSD beta feature, which are worthless. 🙂
Should have been around when fart mode was added. The blowback was huge.

• Funny
Reactions: aerodyne
I agree, it is not a big deal for me since it is not a safety isue with will be fixed in a month or so. The sound is sporadic and as my sits in the garage I hardly hear it. As I am on my second MS I have encountered several annoyances. I guess OTA is a double edge sword. They add new functionalities that is unheard of in other cars but they also introduce some problems. If anyone who has worked in the SW area will tell you that changes to the SW code always creates issues no matter how much you test it.
I am convinced that the noise (buzzing) is the HV battery cooling pump. After driving around in 90+ degree heat for over an hour and stopping to supercharge, the Tesla app showed the battery warm-up icon next to the state of charge. Over the years of supercharging the Teslas I have owned, this only happened on cooler or winter days.

I assume that it’s best for the pump not to run all of the time, but I’m sure it’s engineered for heavy use.

Reactions: aerodyne and VikH
I am convinced that the noise (buzzing) is the HV battery cooling pump. After driving around in 90+ degree heat for over an hour and stopping to supercharge, the Tesla app showed the battery warm-up icon next to the state of charge. Over the years of supercharging the Teslas I have owned, this only happened on cooler or winter days.

I assume that it’s best for the pump not to run all of the time, but I’m sure it’s engineered for heavy use.
I personally don’t think it’s the pump. The noise only starts when car wakes up. You can hear contactors engage, followed by power and then the high pitch whine. The noise immediately stops when car sleeps. It more electronic and seems to originate from battery tray.

I personally don’t think it’s the pump. The noise only starts when car wakes up. You can hear contactors engage, followed by power and then the high pitch whine. The noise immediately stops when car sleeps. It more electronic and seems to originate from battery tray.
The noise on my car seemed to originate more towards the back, but with the way sound waves can be directed - who knows. Also, this noise seemed different than the noise you describe when the car wakes up, and the familiar, brief sounds of the contractors engaging.

2022.28.2 update didn't solve the buzzing. I guess I've gotten used to deal with it, when the car is asleep it shots off. I've had ICE SUV's and cars that were more expensive than my Tesla MS that came with huge headaches while under warranty that was never fixed and most of the mileage that SUV got was from getting loaded into jerrdan tow trucks and getting off from it. Bought a brand new minivan for my dogs, it wasn't even a 900 miles when it just died. 4 months at the dealer and was told it was fixed which was a big lie of the century. So, little inconvenience of buzzing sound is not the end of the world. BTW, this is my first Tesla and I love it!
Lol

So my car installed 2022.28.2 last night. Following muzhik’s suggestions, powered off sentry, hard close on the Tesla app and no phone or key fobs near the car, and this morning the noise is gone. It took an hour of this for the noise to cease after the installation of the firmware. I will turn on sentry (from far away) to see if the noise stays off.

2022 Model S Dual Motor

2022 Model S Dual Motor

2022 Model S Dual Motor
Remotely activating Sentry Mode, with no key fobs or phone near car caused the noise to return. It seems Sentry needs to be off for the car to fully sleep.

Some are louder than others, that's what I noticed. Also when car parked outside and buzzing not that loud, you can't even hear it. It's probably why this hasn't exploded in Tesla's face yet by media. When car parked in quiet place then you can surely hear it and it gets to your brain pretty quick.

Like was posted before, disable sentry mode, close app on your phone and move key fob/card away from car, when it goes to nap, all peace and quiet.

But guys, don't worry Tesla is on top of it... Whenever that might be, hopefully things won't get too heated before this gets fixed. 😆