Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird buzzing sound after updating to 2022.24.6 [Fixed in 2022.36.1]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The service center here in NJ had my car for a day and a half doing diagnostics. They recorded the sound and sent it to Tesla Engineering in Freemont, CA. They recognize the issue and told the service center it is not the coolant pump but rather it is the high voltage relay to the battery pack and the way in which they are powering the relay. They are using a high frequency pulse voltage and this is causing the noise. The relay is toward the back end of the car (same frequency as was recorded in this thread). As mentioned here, they will fix it in a future firmware update and my $0 invoice states that clearly in writing as well. We shall see. I’ve had my new Model S LR for only 3 weeks and this is upsetting.

The service center here in NJ had my car for a day and a half doing diagnostics. They recorded the sound and sent it to Tesla Engineering in Freemont, CA. They recognize the issue and told the service center it is not the coolant pump but rather it is the high voltage relay to the battery pack and the way in which they are powering the relay. They are using a high frequency pulse voltage and this is causing the noise. The relay is toward the back end of the car (same frequency as was recorded in this thread). As mentioned here, they will fix it in a future firmware update and my $0 invoice states that clearly in writing as well. We shall see. I’ve had my new Model S LR for only 3 weeks and this is upsetting.
That explanation makes a lot more sense. Whether it's true is another matter, of course, but it's definitely plausible.

Reactions: Daniel454
Ok. Mine is doing it now. Had my wife confirm.

However, it is extremely faint. Only heard when in a very quiet closed garage. Not audible while driving. So, as long as it does not get louder, I can limp to the fix.
Ouch. Could be diffrent components tolerances

It is for sure low but not subtle. Been monitoring it since it started with 24.6. It has been consistent at 42-43dB at 1khz, 2khz and 3khz frequency.

Attachments

• 980B82F2-7828-4B91-93BF-602B4C4F3155.jpeg
    980B82F2-7828-4B91-93BF-602B4C4F3155.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Informative
Reactions: Dannietjoh and RobK
Same issue here on 2022.28.2. I opened a support ticket when I first noticed it on 2022.28.1 and a support agent called me. He said it was a known issue and it would be corrected in the next update... it wasn't. I was working in the garage for several hours today and the noise was constant. In less than 24 hours I lost over 10 miles of range. Before I found this thread I did not know how widespread the issue was so I opened another support ticket and have a service appointment scheduled in two weeks. I expect that they will cancel that appointment.

I hope they are assessing the potential damage or excessive wear to whatever part is causing the noise since it is running much longer than was planned. A pulse to a relay would probably only occur for a second, not 24 hours. A constantly running pump also could shorten its life to a lesser degree.

Where is the communication from Tesla about this issue? This issue is affecting a lot of owners out there so it would be great if they could provide some information instead of each of us discovering, investigating, and reporting this issue. I'm sure they would rather not broadcast any system faults to the world, but if it takes more than a few days to push out the 'fix,' they should provide updates IMO.

Reactions: Tbart66
Park, hold down brakes, hold both steering wheel buttons until tesla symbol comes back up which is ~20 seconds
This is one way to do a soft reboot. If you have access to the touch screen it's easier to do a full soft reboot with Controls > Safety and Security > Power Off If you don't have access to touch screen do a full soft reboot by pressing brake and press and hold both scroll wheels and both buttons above the scroll wheels (some people call this “the Four Finger Reset”). Press the brake peddle after 5 minutes to restart. A hard reboot involves disconnecting the 12V to remove power to the systems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marchudson