Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird buzzing sound after updating to 2022.24.6 [Fixed in 2022.36.1]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actual issues are one thing, but a buzz sound is not something I consider an issue. Someone claiming it's a safety issue is the same level as saying EVs will take down the grid. It's an irrational overreaction.

As stated, I don't see this as an issue at all. Some do and that's fine, but my comment was for those saying they would get rid of the car like you and DBV1. These are the people saying things like "I had to wrestle control from FSD" or " Phantom braking is causing whiplash, we need the NHTSA to step in"...it's hilarious and I can't imagine how you handle actual issues in the real world.
To be fair, it's an unusual noise coming from high voltage battery even when the car is "off." I find it annoying at best given long history with Tesla firmware updates, but who's to say if it's really an issue or even safety concern? One could worry about heat generation, wear and tear, or even fire hazard in the absence of information. If Tesla were to communicate, it would alleviate most concerns and put people at ease.

In another example, there have been reports of brake failures in 2021+ which apparently is addressed by the hydraulic brake unit wake up wire service bulletin. However, Tesla has not explained this issue or sense of urgency to get it fixed. They simply add it to the list if you happen to schedule service for something else.

Actual issues are one thing, but a buzz sound is not something I consider an issue. Someone claiming it's a safety issue is the same level as saying EVs will take down the grid. It's an irrational overreaction.

As stated, I don't see this as an issue at all. Some do and that's fine, but my comment was for those saying they would get rid of the car like you and DBV1. These are the people saying things like "I had to wrestle control from FSD" or " Phantom braking is causing whiplash, we need the NHTSA to step in"...it's hilarious and I can't imagine how you handle actual issues in the real world.
Hmm - I never said I would get rid of the car, actually really enjoy most things about the Model S, but I won’t acceptable something like this.

You are crazy, if you don’t at least think this could be a serious issue. Amazing how you just accept it and have no clue whatsoever what is causing the problem. When I pay $100k for a car, I expect better and guess what I handle actual issues just fine. Not sure about you though! 🤣

Had my '21 MS in for service for like the (literally) 22nd time in a year yesterday for some other stuff so I mentioned it again - tech finally verbally verified this is a 'known engineering issue' or something... it's in the backend Tesla service bulletins... says to hopefully expect a fix in the 2022.36.x update.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG

Saying "it was terrible" in post #257 doesn't match saying it's not an "actual issue".
Screenshot_20220922_170739.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Saying "it was terrible" in post #257 doesn't match saying it's not an "actual issue". View attachment 855888
A terrible sound, but an not something that is a safety hazard or that I would lemon law my car for or want another car.

There's talking about bout something and not liking it and then letting it upset you or impact your life.

Battery, brake failures, serious issues warrant that type of response, but a buzz sound which sounds bad, but minor don't warrant that sort of response.

That hyperbole seems common with Tesla owners. Someone said they would get rid of their car if they didn't fix the usb mounting issue because lack of sentry mode was a serious safety concern.

My 2017 S75 had a high pitched whine from the front section as well but it was very feint and it never occurred to me to get it serviced- I assumed it was the coolant pump. My ‘22 MSLR has the high pitched whine but it is louder, although I wouldn’t say it’s too bothersome. It would be nice to eliminate the whine, but it’s not a big deal to me.

It is called High Standards but I guess not everyone has them.

Moving one from this useless discussion and on a side note I got a call this morning from some Tesla rep, he asked me if the sound also audible during charging and if it is louder. Never thought to check this before but yes the sound is still audible and I think it is slightly louder (with my old dB meter it is like 1 dB louder but I guess the car is making more noises during charging).

So it looks they are looking into it but it looks also they are clueless (crap). will see what they will say when the guy call me back this afternoon because I told him I did not test this so let me do that and call my back later today to give you the update (so lets if he actually call again).

It is called High Standards but I guess not everyone has them.

Moving one from this useless discussion and on a side note I got a call this morning from some Tesla rep, he asked me if the sound also audible during charging and if it is louder. Never thought to check this before but yes the sound is still audible and I think it is slightly louder (with my old dB meter it is like 1 dB louder but I guess the car is making more noises during charging).

So it looks they are looking into it but it looks also they are clueless (crap). will see what they will say when the guy call me back this afternoon because I told him I did not test this so let me do that and call my back later today to give you the update (so lets if he actually call again).
Interesting. Call from Service Center (which one) or corporate?

So since they asked about charging, i checked Tessie and this what it reports for battery degradation now: it droped 0.4% since this issue started!! Not sure how accurate it is but it shows trend down since this issue started.

Anyone who expect high standard as they should for a 130k car and who might think of lemon law, if this issue dragged or battery got worse, I recommend to start documenting what tesla shows as range to proof the drop, if crap hit the fan.

Attachments

• 48B61F89-95D8-44CE-ACDC-5D908D27D4EA.png
    48B61F89-95D8-44CE-ACDC-5D908D27D4EA.png
    234.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Reactions: coco135
before the issue started the degrdation was at 0% for 6k miles.

Since the issue started on 9/6. I only did 3 charges, drove 250 miles and it dropped 0.4%

So tell me this is not an issue!

Attachments

• 3C947A28-0758-41A4-8E28-9CA5DBEAFD43.png
    3C947A28-0758-41A4-8E28-9CA5DBEAFD43.png
    225.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 1DC7E8E9-81E1-47DA-BEC8-C0228B81C999.png
    1DC7E8E9-81E1-47DA-BEC8-C0228B81C999.png
    154.8 KB · Views: 51
before the issue started the degrdation was at 0% for 6k miles.

Since the issue started on 9/6. I only did 3 charges, drove 250 miles and it dropped 0.4%

So tell me this is not an issue!
I'll take a look at my Plaid that doesn't have the noise, but degradation can't really be measured without some deep discharges, so it might be just coincidence.

Also, is this noise only on the S/X and not the 3/Y?

The whine/buzz is drawing current, and ultimately degrading the battery to some degree? How significant?
Probably negligible on the battery.

The bigger question is what is making the noise and is it wearing out because of it? If it's a solenoid being driven with a high frequency, it will wear out quickly.

If it is from the pedestrian warning speaker, then no big deal and there are no hardware concerns.

Has anyone crawled under the car to locate the source of the sound? If it is the speaker, just unplug it for now.

Reactions: herbie926
Video is silent, then a click followed by the buzzzzz.
I believe that click is the high voltage connections/relay dropping in place. Essentially it is the main battery being engaged.
Thanks! I found an interesting response in the twitter comments of that post.

So if 2022.36.1 is the fix we are waiting for, I have some good news! 2022.36 is releasing today, so maybe one more point release until this is all over!?

Reactions: SoCal Buzz