Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird charging problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my model x for 2 weeks. Today started to charge at 5pm with 90 miles left. 4 hours past. I checked my phone around 10pm. It shows 70 miles range left. It is DECREASING! Do anyone encounter this before? I am using a nema 5-15 plug.

I recommend you go to 40AMP charging right away. It will cost around 300-400 for an electrician to install it but I think its well worth it.

Go check the car.. I don't think driving range should decrease. I've seen my MX not want to take the full 48AMPS and charge 'slower' but never backwards battery. :)

I recommend you go to 40AMP charging right away. It will cost around 300-400 for an electrician to install it but I think its well worth it.

Go check the car.. I don't think driving range should decrease. I've seen my MX not want to take the full 48AMPS and charge 'slower' but never backwards battery. :)
Yes. Just moved to a new house and need wrap it up. Have a solar home with solar city, now part of tesla. Not sure if that will raise the cost.

Just had my model x for 2 weeks. Today started to charge at 5pm with 90 miles left. 4 hours past. I checked my phone around 10pm. It shows 70 miles range left. It is DECREASING! Do anyone encounter this before? I am using a nema 5-15 plug.

Likely due to low temperatures and the battery trying to warm itself to charge and not having enough power to do both.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Likely due to low temperatures and the battery trying to warm itself to charge and not having enough power to do both.

If it does this, that is a real bug. The car knows how much power is available to charge, and should never burn battery power to heat up for such a paltry amount of charge. It should never come out negative...

Reactions: FlyF4
I park in Chicago and trickle charge in one of the garages - the trickle has always charged (3 mph on the model x) and maintained the battery no matter the temperature.

I did leave the model S out below ten degrees once with only 19 miles and came out to a snowflake near the battery - it eventually warmed up but "consumed" 15 miles when it did. I had to crawl into IKEA and use a 30amp for an hour to continue the journey.

Let us know if you get to the bottom of this "reverse charging" - really random thing for it to do.

If the battery is warm from driving when you plug it in, it will trickle charge. In my experience, if the battery is cold, it may not charge much if at all. The definition of cold can vary - I’m talking below freezing ambient temperature, but the effects of cold can start around 40-45 degrees.

Solar is independent of the outlet so no worries there.

400 is the top end cost even if they have to give you new breakers.
Can you refer me your electrician?
I am living in Southern California. So it is not likely because of the temperature. Twitted tesla and hope they could find why.