Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird charging screen bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Twice today while charging at a J1772 ChargePoint station after coming back in to the car after being out for an hour or so the time remaining suddenly quickly moved up 5 minutes at time until it hit 24+ hours remaining and stayed there. Charging rates never changed and it didn't affect the real charging time left.

The second time I had 5 minutes left and charging completed in 5 minutes (see pic).

The time left indicator in the notification area also reflected the wrong time.

Anyone else see this before?
20210707_135820~2.jpg

I charge at a public Level 2 charging station that uses Chargepoint charging stations. I have seen something similar. When I plug into the Tesla Model Y's charging port using the Chargepoint charging connector with the Tesla J1772 adapter the Tesla screen will display several hours to complete charging when it should be only 1 hour. I will stop charging when this happens. I remove the J1772 adapter from the Tesla's charging port and separate the adapter from the Chargepoint's J1772 connector. I inspect the charging pins on the Chargepoint charging connector, if the pins look ok I will re-attach the Tesla J1772 charging adapter and plug in to charge. This has often resolved the issue.

In my experience the Chargepoint charging stations will sometimes need to be reset. In some cases this requires cycling the breaker off and on (flipping the breaker is something only the property's maintenance staff can perform.) I usually move my Model Y and charge using a different Chargepoint station. Fortunately at this location there are multiple Chargepoint charging stations, rarely are they all in use at the same time.

I don't think this is specific to chargepoint. Someone on reddit today posted the exact same bug, but with Clipper Creek charging stations:
This is definitely a software bug on Tesla's part. It didn't just show a few extra hours, but in both mine and their case, it went to 24+ hours left (would have kept going up if the UI didn't stop at 24 hours). Both were when the AC turned on while it was charging.

And like i said, charging rate/time wasn't affected. Continued to charge at 6kw until it finished, even with the UI showing 24+ hours left.

I saw this on a free level 2 charger the other day. It was charging about 20mph and said 4 hours or so. I got in the car and the AC came on (it was 100+ outside), the AC sapped so much power that the charging time went to 24+ hours and the charge rate dropped to about 2mph