Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird clicking from fan A/C

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, my model 3 is about 5 months old but its seems to have developed a weird clicking noise. It only occurs when the fan is on so I've isolated it to that. Potenially just driver side.

Its as if the fan flaps are catching on something as it rotates because the noise is constant. Even if the fan is on 1 speed it still makes the noise as much as a high speed. Its smallish noise and the radio can cover it but now I've heard it I cant unhear it with the radio on.

If some foreign material has got in there is there an easy way for me to look? Or are talking about a service centre visit 🤔

You can get slightly better access to the vent by removing the dash section, suspect the noise is coming from the other side of the bulkhead though.

Let me know if you need instructions to remove this to check, only takes around 10 minutes.

20200925_134743.jpg

You can get slightly better access to the vent by removing the dash section, suspect the noise is coming from the other side of the bulkhead though.

Let me know if you need instructions to remove this to check, only takes around 10 minutes.

View attachment 658700
Having stood outside the car I hear it more so looks like its not from the inside. Ive got a video of the sound let me see if I can upload it

Apparently the 7 second video was to large to upload so ive got a private YouTube link to it:

You possibly need to revisit your YouTube settings for the video. If you get it right, the forum software will embed a preview. I find the option to make the video available to anyone with the link works for me whilst making the clip otherwise too public.

At the moment, the link just returns
1619897689702.png

If something has gotten in there (which it sounds like it has) and they try to charge you for out of warranty work I would argue the toss on that one, seeing as how stuff has only got in there thanks to their piss poor design.

Reminds me, I need to find one of those vent covers for that intake, for when I eventually get my car back.

If something has gotten in there (which it sounds like it has) and they try to charge you for out of warranty work I would argue the toss on that one, seeing as how stuff has only got in there thanks to their piss poor design.

Reminds me, I need to find one of those vent covers for that intake, for when I eventually get my car back.
Yes I will try! I shouldn't need to purchase a 3rd party accessory to prevent it from happening will be the angle I'd come from.

Reactions: Billbrown1982

Thanks I'll give this a try tomorrow. When cleaning the car out.

Good luck with that. The guide is for a LHD car so do not cover the PITA access with pedals and foot rest in place. This thread may help.

Hello, my model 3 is about 5 months old but its seems to have developed a weird clicking noise. It only occurs when the fan is on so I've isolated it to that. Potenially just driver side.

Its as if the fan flaps are catching on something as it rotates because the noise is constant. Even if the fan is on 1 speed it still makes the noise as much as a high speed. Its smallish noise and the radio can cover it but now I've heard it I cant unhear it with the radio on.

If some foreign material has got in there is there an easy way for me to look? Or are talking about a service centre visit 🤔
Did you ever find out what the problem was because I am having the same issue

Did you ever find out what the problem was because I am having the same issue
I have similar clicking noise from the vents on a hot day when AC starts working but the clicks stop after 20-30 seconds and do not return while driving (so I ignored this concern). However, if your noise continues and does not go away, I would book the service. Mine is still under warranty so I am not familiar with the service charges.

I have similar clicking noise from the vents on a hot day when AC starts working but the clicks stop after 20-30 seconds and do not return while driving (so I ignored this concern). However, if your noise continues and does not go away, I would book the service. Mine is still under warranty so I am not familiar with the service charges.
Mine does that too and seems to be a recent thing (i.e. it didn't do it last summer). I suspect Tesla has changed the amount of cold air first coming out so rather than a slow start cool down it is more aggressive which causes the plastic to contract quickly.

Reactions: SergeyP