TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Weird grinding noise at hard braking

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by hanl1, Oct 18, 2015.

1. hanl1

hanl1 Member

So last night while driving I had to hit the brake really hard when the car in front had a sudden stop. At the end of the braking I was hitting the brake really hard and I felt what I would describe as a rock grinding noise coming from the bottom of my car. The noise went away after I lifted the brake and it didn't come back under normal braking.
    Anyone knows if this is normal? Could be a noob question but maybe that was the ABS?

2. thegruf

thegruf Member

stone caught in the brake caliper?

3. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

Did you just start driving? Was it, or had it been, raining? My thought is rusty rotors that the hard braking rubbed off.

4. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

Probably ABS. Try a practice "panic stop" situation in a safe location (empty parking lot for example). It's always good to get a feel for where ABS kicks in.

5. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

ABS makes a noticeable shuddering/pulsing/grinding noise as the calipers pulse to prevent lockup. That's probably it.

6. tstafford

tstafford Member

I second this.

7. Xenius

Xenius Member

Third, was weird as hell the first time I ever felt ABS kick in, but it's repeatable and you'll get used to it (but hopefully not too used to it).

8. hanl1

hanl1 Member

I guess I will go with the more re-assuring ABS theory :) Thanks folks

9. brkaus

brkaus Member

When ABS was a new thing, it was common advice to go to a safe area and stomp the pedal. It is a strange sensation and probably worth trying so one doesn't panic in a real emergency b

I don't trigger it much on my bmw, but my diesel truck triggers more easily. I'm suspecting the greater weight of the truck makes stopping harder and hence ABS gets used more. The model s weighs nearly the same as my truck.

10. patrick42h

patrick42h Member

Most, if not all, cars have a metal tab that drags on the brake rotors when the pads get too thin. Maybe that is what you are hearing.

11. thegruf

thegruf Member

^ that will usually get you a hideous squeal not a grinding noise.

abs is typically more like a vibration than a grinding noise