Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird grinding noise from front right of Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
Mobile tech out today to look at this problem and resolve another problem (faulty steering control unit) was baffled by this noise and recommended I take it into service.

She took the front passenger side wheel off but could not identify anything rubbing.

The problem occurs primarily when turning the wheels, but when you stop the car and it's going you can actually hear something loose continuing to make the noise and slowing like a pendulum till it stops.

Something in the door maybe? Hard to believe something like that could do it. Since turning the wheel gets it going I have to believe it's something in the brake caliper, brakes, or suspension.

I can definitely hear it in your video. Kind of a light rubbing or scratching sound to me. Since it seems to involve the steering wheel being turned, along with the wheels, does you car have the grommets in place in the wheel well cover area. There was a post in this forum area about these being missing on someone's car and a number of members saying that they were missing on their cars too. We checked our car and same here, one of the items on our due bill.

I can definitely hear it in your video. Kind of a light rubbing or scratching sound to me. Since it seems to involve the steering wheel being turned, along with the wheels, does you car have the grommets in place in the wheel well cover area. There was a post in this forum area about these being missing on someone's car and a number of members saying that they were missing on their cars too. We checked our car and same here, one of the items on our due bill.

Yeah, it's kind of a mechanical scratching sound like metal on metal. I don't believe anything is missing from the wheel well cover and the tech should have checked around for anything loose when she had that wheel off.

I'm rather baffled by what it could be.

Yeah, it's kind of a mechanical scratching sound like metal on metal. I don't believe anything is missing from the wheel well cover and the tech should have checked around for anything loose when she had that wheel off.

I'm rather baffled by what it could be.
Sounds like brakes. I have seen a couple other reports of brake caliper issues making this noise.

My car is ready to be picked up in 45 minutes. According to the service order the source of the noise is "foreign object from factory process loose in passenger footwell ducting".

Wow.

I wonder how much of my car they had to take apart to fix that.

Mobile tech out today to look at this problem and resolve another problem (faulty steering control unit) was baffled by this noise and recommended I take it into service.

She took the front passenger side wheel off but could not identify anything rubbing.

The problem occurs primarily when turning the wheels, but when you stop the car and it's going you can actually hear something loose continuing to make the noise and slowing like a pendulum till it stops.

Something in the door maybe? Hard to believe something like that could do it. Since turning the wheel gets it going I have to believe it's something in the brake caliper, brakes, or suspension.

Did it make the noise 100% of the time? I just had the same sound but I got to stop.

I don’t my kid off at school this morning and it was there. Then I went and did a few hard break stops and now I can’t get it to do it again. I’ll just wait a see what happens. Thanks for the info

Did it sound like it did in my video?

One thing I observed in my case that I didn't report into this thread is that the problem began occurring after a panic stop on the highway when another car tried a snap lane change and nearly hit us. Whatever was in there must have gotten broken loose because that's when it started to happen.

Did it sound like it did in my video?

One thing I observed in my case that I didn't report into this thread is that the problem began occurring after a panic stop on the highway when another car tried a snap lane change and nearly hit us. Whatever was in there must have gotten broken loose because that's when it started to happen.

Yes mine sounds just like in the video, it sounds like somethings hitting the brake rotor . The only thing I did yesterday was wash my car and it was cold this morning maybe something froze.