Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird happening at a drive thru....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the run had to get a quick bite went thru the drive thru and the car sort of bucked and shifted to "P" needless to say this concerned me very much. I called tesla to discuss and realized that while sitting in the seat with my foot on the brake I angled myself up to get money out of my pocket. Since The car senses a driver in the seat and I possibly fooled the car by lifting up this caused the condition. The problem is that I cannot duplicate it, until the other day when I went thru another drive thru and it happened again. The condition is alarming, wondered if anyone else has experienced this and also I wanted to alert you about this.
(yes I can hear it now stay out of drive thru's and/or have my money ready)

Put on your seatbelt. This behavior is completely by-design (and has been discussed many times on TMC) if you don't have your seatbelt in place and connected. Given your description, I suspect you unbuckled the seatbelt as part of your pocket digging.

Additional note:
My recollection is that this originally only happened in reverse but, apparently, somewhere along the way the firmware now does this for <= 5mph in D as well as in R.

Put on your seatbelt. This behavior is completely by-design (and has been discussed many times on TMC) if you don't have your seatbelt in place and connected

The auto-off when not in the driver's seat annoys the hell out of me when I'm cleaning the windshield. I turn the headlights on to help with glare, lean forward, the car, lights, and radio turn off. I found a loophole where I turn the walk-away headlights on then leave a rear door slightly ajar as I clean windows, but it's annoying. I'll have to try buckling the seatbelt and see if that helps.

Stop trying to read my mind, car, and do what I tell you! :smile:

AFIK it's not the seat belt its the weight sensor in the seat. I have had this happen while driving through a car wash. Car is in neutral, shift my weight a bit (seatbelt still on) and boom parking brake goes on.
My understanding is that it's both. More specifically, if your seatbelt is properly in place the "weight removed triggers neutral/park" behavior is disabled.