Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird heater problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so.. a friend has a weird problem with ptc heater.. maybe you guys can help out. Blows only cold air even at HI heat, then maybe after 30seconds blows really hot for a few seconds, then again cold air for next 30sec, then hot for a few seconds.. cycles like this.
AC on/off has no effect.. model S from 07/2014.

Is this ptc going bad or maybe some control module fault? Car gives no faults or error codes.

Out of warranty.. can't get a comment from Tesla because they are impossible to reach by phone..
Had that issue checking on a car in for service. Phone went to VM. Texts finally answered.

Have you tried support/car issues? They could pull the car logs and perhaps see what the issue is. Or make an appt from the app but phone support should be able to get somewhere.

I never call the service center for anything except when I have a car on the premises.

May not help but does it work on low speed? I’ve seen posts where the heater can’t keep up with high air flow; it’s cooled too much.

It it works on low flow, that will tell you something. If not then it has a general problem.
I have this problem that you are mentioning. Do you know the cause ? I took it to Tesla today and they charged my 1200$ for the PTC heater to be replaced. However I’m still having this same issue now. It will only produce heat at the lowest fan setting. Once I turn up the fan only cool air blows.

I have this problem that you are mentioning. Do you know the cause ? I took it to Tesla today and they charged my 1200$ for the PTC heater to be replaced. However I’m still having this same issue now. It will only produce heat at the lowest fan setting. Once I turn up the fan only cool air blows.
It was faulty PTC heater, we replaced the heater and been working fine since.