TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Weird heater problem

Discussion in 'Model S' started by samppa, Oct 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. samppa

samppa Member

so.. a friend has a weird problem with ptc heater.. maybe you guys can help out. Blows only cold air even at HI heat, then maybe after 30seconds blows really hot for a few seconds, then again cold air for next 30sec, then hot for a few seconds.. cycles like this.
    AC on/off has no effect.. model S from 07/2014.

Is this ptc going bad or maybe some control module fault? Car gives no faults or error codes.

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

May not help but does it work on low speed? I’ve seen posts where the heater can’t keep up with high air flow; it’s cooled too much.

It it works on low flow, that will tell you something. If not then it has a general problem.

3. samppa

samppa Member

Nope, same problem, fan speed doesn't affect.

4. boaterva

That seems like then it’s a real resistor (heater element problem. Tesla have a comment? Out of warranty I assume...

5. samppa

samppa Member

Out of warranty.. can't get a comment from Tesla because they are impossible to reach by phone..

6. boaterva

Had that issue checking on a car in for service. Phone went to VM. Texts finally answered.

Have you tried support/car issues? They could pull the car logs and perhaps see what the issue is. Or make an appt from the app but phone support should be able to get somewhere.

I never call the service center for anything except when I have a car on the premises.