Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird issues on brand new MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

New MY owner here - took delivery 2 days ago in the Netherlands. I went on a road trip straight from the Delivery Center and noticed a few issues on the trip - any info on these issues would be appreciated. I did check the forums but the entries I found didn't exactly describe my issues, so I'm posting them here:

1. Once when I was parked the screen (or the car?) crashed/rebooted by itself twice. I was in a menu, touched a button (can't recall what it was) and the screen just went black, then displayed a loading progress display for quite a while and then back on the default screen. A few minutes later the same thing happened again. This was very soon after delivery and hasn't happened since in the last 2 days. Should I be concerned?

2. While on my first trip (Day 1) I got the message that the right B pillar camera was "blocked or blinded". I saw that this happened to other due to condensation but I stopped to inspect the camera (not immediately but a bit later) and didn't see any condensation, and everything was sparkling clean. This happened multiple times during the drive.

3. The rear USB C ports don't charge my phone - the front ones work. So I guess this is a warranty issue.

4. Before I arrived at my first destination, I set the charge limit to 5A (I knew I was going to charge using someone else's normal mains plug at my destination and didn't want to blow their fuse) but sure enough it did just that - blew their fuse after a few minutes. When I looked at the screen (showing "charging stopped"), I noticed that the charging limit was back to 16A, despite my previously setting it to 5A - apparently it didn't remember this setting. I know the limit doesn't apply to Supercharging, but I had a Supercharger stop between setting it to 5A and the slow/home charging blown fuse incident and I don't know if this my be relevant. Is this normal?

5. When driving on Autopilot (I have the full autopilot) I noticed that I had a tendency to slightly but constantly push the steering wheel to the left (unsuccessfully, of course) as I felt I was too close to the cars in the next lane to the right, and I noticed that quite a few cars moved away from me after I passed them (I suppose they felt the same and moved away after the "close encounter" as if I scared them). I checked using the cameras and the car was actually driving in the middle of the lane, so I don't think there was anything wrong with it, but it seems like we have a tendency to keep more distance from other drivers, which on the typical 2 way European freeway means that the driver in the left lane drives closer to the left side of the road and the driver in the right lane closer to the right edge of the road. I don't want to scare other drivers... and I assume the car is driving safely in technical terms, but I feel weird driving in a way that makes others uncomfortable. Did anyone have a similar experience?

6. I have trouble taking over from Autopilot when I need to make a slight correction. For example, today I came up on a bicyclist while driving on Autopilot, and it would not pass him - instead, kept follow at 20km/h. There were oncoming cars in the other lane, but there was plenty of space to safely pass - I guess it was safe for an experienced human driver, but Autopilot didn't think so. So I decided to take over from Autopilot by gently pushing the steering wheel to the left (which required quite some force) and when the Autopilot finally gave in and disengaged, the car went to the left in a sudden motion that was way more than what I wanted to do, not to mention not smooth driving at all. I know I can just disengage the autopilot with the stalk, but that feels like a very complicated way of making this simplest of maneuvers - move hand to disengage autopilot, then move hand back to wheel to steer, then move hand again to reengage autopilot... seems like an example of technology getting in the way instead of helping. It's literally impossible to take over from Autopilot using the steering wheel without this resulting in an abrupt jerk to the steering wheel and swerving the car in a new direction. Is it just me, or is the steering wheel is way more stiff than it should be when on Autopilot?

I use the turn indicator instead which tells the AutoSteer that you intend to use the steering wheel. I don't have FSD, so I have to manually engage AutoSteer afterward.
Does engaging the turn signal actually allow you to take over without the usual resistance? I will test that on my next drive. So far my experience has been that when I was in Autopliot mode and used the turn signal to initiate a lane change, the wheel was still stiff and AP wouldn't let me interfere without disengaging, but that may be different since in that case it would be preparing for an automatic lane change.

Upvote 0
Does engaging the turn signal actually allow you to take over without the usual resistance? I will test that on my next drive. So far my experience has been that when I was in Autopliot mode and used the turn signal to initiate a lane change, the wheel was still stiff and AP wouldn't let me interfere without disengaging, but that may be different since in that case it would be preparing for an automatic lane change.
Yes, you will have to use the full/continuous turn signal (vs the partial/3 blinks signal).

Upvote 0
My Y acts different depending on how far away the bicyclist is. As a bicyclist that's had some interactions with cars I now click the Drive Stalk (shift lever) up to take me out of Autosteer for FSD when the bicyclist is anywhere near the edge of the travel lanes.

Sometimes the sunlight will be shining to the pillar camera and I'll get the same message. It's happened less with the newer software.

My Y rebooted twice when I stopped about 20 minutes after picking it up. It hasn't done it since and I have 18,000 miles on the car.

• Informative
Reactions: mrwug
Upvote 0
My Y acts different depending on how far away the bicyclist is. As a bicyclist that's had some interactions with cars I now click the Drive Stalk (shift lever) up to take me out of Autosteer for FSD when the bicyclist is anywhere near the edge of the travel lanes.

Sometimes the sunlight will be shining to the pillar camera and I'll get the same message. It's happened less with the newer software.

My Y rebooted twice when I stopped about 20 minutes after picking it up. It hasn't done it since and I have 18,000 miles on the car.
Thank you for the helpful info. I ride a bicycle too so I pay extra attention to them as well. Your solution is also the best one I have found so far, but I think it shouldn't be. I think AP should disengage automatically when the driver needs to take control in a way that doesn't force the car to do something the driver doesn't want it to do (sudden jerky movement).

Upvote 0
Oh, and one more thing I forgot:

7. I used the wipers with spray on the freeway and the car got confused by the water it itself sprayed on the windshield... First of all, the wipers (which were in Auto mode) kept on going for a lot longer than needed, and second, I got a message to the meaning that "poor weather detected, Autopilot may not be available" or something similar. That looks really dumb - if I wash the windshield in completely dry weather, do the rain sensors get confused?

• Funny
Reactions: boulder.dude
Upvote 1
Oh, and one more thing I forgot:

7. I used the wipers with spray on the freeway and the car got confused by the water it itself sprayed on the windshield... First of all, the wipers (which were in Auto mode) kept on going for a lot longer than needed, and second, I got a message to the meaning that "poor weather detected, Autopilot may not be available" or something similar. That looks really dumb - if I wash the windshield in completely dry weather, do the rain sensors get confused?
Auto wipers are BETA, auto steer is BETA, TACC is BETA. You will learn over time that these things get better (or worse, sad to say) as new software updates come out. BETA is Tesla's way of saying "It sort of works, and we promise we are going to fix it soon"... soon being defined as "one decade and counting" for the BETA features.

Don't get me wrong, it is a fantastic car... but all the tech gadgetry stuff is in BETA and Tesla is not responsible for your poor user experience when using a BETA feature.

Keith <--- prepping for the fan boy thumbs down storm.

Reactions: OxBrew and Mixman
Upvote 0
Yes, you will have to use the full/continuous turn signal (vs the partial/3 blinks signal).
I’ve had the opposite experience; if I use the momentary/3 flash signal and begin moving the wheel before the blinking has stopped, the resistance on the wheel is minimal. If I use the full blinker it seems to need a few seconds before it “releases” the torque keeping me in the lane.

Upvote 0
I’ve had the opposite experience; if I use the momentary/3 flash signal and begin moving the wheel before the blinking has stopped, the resistance on the wheel is minimal. If I use the full blinker it seems to need a few seconds before it “releases” the torque keeping me in the lane.
Probably true but I’m old school and I only use 3-blinks if I’m already ready on my way of changing lane. And use full blink and check for lane clearance before moving across. Either way, once you “signaled” to AutoSteer you intend, it should let you take over of steering without fighting you.

Upvote 0
Auto wipers are BETA, auto steer is BETA, TACC is BETA. You will learn over time that these things get better (or worse, sad to say) as new software updates come out. BETA is Tesla's way of saying "It sort of works, and we promise we are going to fix it soon"... soon being defined as "one decade and counting" for the BETA features.

Don't get me wrong, it is a fantastic car... but all the tech gadgetry stuff is in BETA and Tesla is not responsible for your poor user experience when using a BETA feature.

Keith <--- prepping for the fan boy thumbs down storm.
Thank you Keith - I realize that AP and TACC are beta and treat them as such - but I didn't know that the auto wipers were considered a beta as well. Was there a warning or some info about that that I miss? Where did you see it? Automatic wipers have been a pretty standard feature on premium cars for about a decade now, and my previous car (Mercedes) had one that worked flawlessly 100% of the time.

Upvote 0
LOL, I will have to try that too then - I tried it with the full turn signal today and AP was still wrestling with me for control.

Upvote 0
Probably true but I’m old school and I only use 3-blinks if I’m already ready on my way of changing lane. And use full blink and check for lane clearance before moving across. Either way, once you “signaled” to AutoSteer you intend, it should let you take over of steering without fighting you.
I tried that and it didn't work with Autopilot (or maybe, as Alex indicated, I didn't wait long enough? The terminology is actually not totally clear to me - is Autosteer the "light" version of Autopilot if the card doesn't have the FSD package? Or Autosteer (without full AP is also available on cars with FSD? Is it possible that this feature works differently with Autosteer than it does with full AP, since what you said worked for you didn't work for me?

Upvote 0
I tried that and it didn't work with Autopilot (or maybe, as Alex indicated, I didn't wait long enough? The terminology is actually not totally clear to me - is Autosteer the "light" version of Autopilot if the card doesn't have the FSD package? Or Autosteer (without full AP is also available on cars with FSD? Is it possible that this feature works differently with Autosteer than it does with full AP, since what you said worked for you didn't work for me?
Possible. I don't have FSD so I can't comment on how that would react.

Upvote 0
Thank you Keith - I realize that AP and TACC are beta and treat them as such - but I didn't know that the auto wipers were considered a beta as well. Was there a warning or some info about that that I miss? Where did you see it? Automatic wipers have been a pretty standard feature on premium cars for about a decade now, and my previous car (Mercedes) had one that worked flawlessly 100% of the time.
New Teslas dont have a traditional wiper rain sensor. They use the forward facing camera and software to detect rain. Unfortunately this novel approach is a work in progress.

Upvote 0

It is in the owners manual (that you will have trouble accessing in the car... it doesn't work correctly). You can find an old out-dated version of the owners manual on line. Also, the auto high beam headlights (standard in many cars) are in BETA on the Tesla model Y. Most new cars (all of the expensive ones) have lane centering, and adaptive cruise control (auto steer and TACC equivalents) that works correctly almost 100% of the time, where these are BETA features in the Tesla.

Keith

Upvote 0
It is in the owners manual (that you will have trouble accessing in the car... it doesn't work correctly). You can find an old out-dated version of the owners manual on line. Also, the auto high beam headlights (standard in many cars) are in BETA on the Tesla model Y. Most new cars (all of the expensive ones) have lane centering, and adaptive cruise control (auto steer and TACC equivalents) that works correctly almost 100% of the time, where these are BETA features in the Tesla.

Keith
The manual has been recently (a month ago?) updated to reflect many of the recent changes.

Upvote 0