Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird issues on brand new MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

New MY owner here - took delivery 2 days ago in the Netherlands. I went on a road trip straight from the Delivery Center and noticed a few issues on the trip - any info on these issues would be appreciated. I did check the forums but the entries I found didn't exactly describe my issues, so I'm posting them here:

1. Once when I was parked the screen (or the car?) crashed/rebooted by itself twice. I was in a menu, touched a button (can't recall what it was) and the screen just went black, then displayed a loading progress display for quite a while and then back on the default screen. A few minutes later the same thing happened again. This was very soon after delivery and hasn't happened since in the last 2 days. Should I be concerned?

2. While on my first trip (Day 1) I got the message that the right B pillar camera was "blocked or blinded". I saw that this happened to other due to condensation but I stopped to inspect the camera (not immediately but a bit later) and didn't see any condensation, and everything was sparkling clean. This happened multiple times during the drive.

3. The rear USB C ports don't charge my phone - the front ones work. So I guess this is a warranty issue.

4. Before I arrived at my first destination, I set the charge limit to 5A (I knew I was going to charge using someone else's normal mains plug at my destination and didn't want to blow their fuse) but sure enough it did just that - blew their fuse after a few minutes. When I looked at the screen (showing "charging stopped"), I noticed that the charging limit was back to 16A, despite my previously setting it to 5A - apparently it didn't remember this setting. I know the limit doesn't apply to Supercharging, but I had a Supercharger stop between setting it to 5A and the slow/home charging blown fuse incident and I don't know if this my be relevant. Is this normal?

5. When driving on Autopilot (I have the full autopilot) I noticed that I had a tendency to slightly but constantly push the steering wheel to the left (unsuccessfully, of course) as I felt I was too close to the cars in the next lane to the right, and I noticed that quite a few cars moved away from me after I passed them (I suppose they felt the same and moved away after the "close encounter" as if I scared them). I checked using the cameras and the car was actually driving in the middle of the lane, so I don't think there was anything wrong with it, but it seems like we have a tendency to keep more distance from other drivers, which on the typical 2 way European freeway means that the driver in the left lane drives closer to the left side of the road and the driver in the right lane closer to the right edge of the road. I don't want to scare other drivers... and I assume the car is driving safely in technical terms, but I feel weird driving in a way that makes others uncomfortable. Did anyone have a similar experience?

6. I have trouble taking over from Autopilot when I need to make a slight correction. For example, today I came up on a bicyclist while driving on Autopilot, and it would not pass him - instead, kept follow at 20km/h. There were oncoming cars in the other lane, but there was plenty of space to safely pass - I guess it was safe for an experienced human driver, but Autopilot didn't think so. So I decided to take over from Autopilot by gently pushing the steering wheel to the left (which required quite some force) and when the Autopilot finally gave in and disengaged, the car went to the left in a sudden motion that was way more than what I wanted to do, not to mention not smooth driving at all. I know I can just disengage the autopilot with the stalk, but that feels like a very complicated way of making this simplest of maneuvers - move hand to disengage autopilot, then move hand back to wheel to steer, then move hand again to reengage autopilot... seems like an example of technology getting in the way instead of helping. It's literally impossible to take over from Autopilot using the steering wheel without this resulting in an abrupt jerk to the steering wheel and swerving the car in a new direction. Is it just me, or is the steering wheel is way more stiff than it should be when on Autopilot?

... additional inputs from Radar or Lidar will only confuse and SLOW down the processing of information into the operation of a vehicle, just as you would be if when you are driving you were receiving multiple alerts and warnings from a radar or lidar sensor that said "EMERGENCY BRAKE NOW!!!!"when you own two eyes were telling ... it's OK.
I don't think so. The human brain and computers work very differently. One of the areas where computers have the upper hand is calculations - try a few billion per second - even your phone can, without breaking a sweat. The human brain gets overwhelmed with too much data, but when it comes to computers, the more data they have, the better their calculations and predictions, only limited by processing power (if processing power is s bottleneck, this is still true, but it takes longer). I think the error here is comparing human and computer vision and interpretation of information, which are radically different. Both have advantages and disadvantages over the other, and they work VERY differently. With computers, the more data points, the more accurate the "understanding". That's why it puzzles me why would Tesla LIMIT the information fed into the computer. I'm pretty sure it's a business decision, and not a technical one, e.g. it is too complicated and time consuming for the engineers to figure out algorithms that combine all the data, so Elon picked vision to focus on. I would place a pretty high bet that radar/lidar WILL be back before we will see actual fully autonomous vehicles on the road.

Upvote 0
And of course, if what you are describing happened to a HUMAN, they also would be fooled and get into an accident. Perfection will never exist in avoiding ALL risk (it would put ALL the insurance companies out of business ;) )
That is my exact point. Both human and machine fails to see something that visually hidden if they only rely on vision. Humans can't read GPS signals from satellites, don't have radar, don't have eyes on the back of their heads... computers can. So why not give them machine vision as complete as possible? Doesn't make sense. Tesla actually has parking sensors (I guess ultrasonic ones), which humans don't... that alone is an admission that vision alone is NOT enough for the car to be safe.

Upvote 0
I don't think so. The human brain and computers work very differently. One of the areas where computers have the upper hand is calculations - try a few billion per second - even your phone can, without breaking a sweat. The human brain gets overwhelmed with too much data, but when it comes to computers, the more data they have, the better their calculations and predictions, only limited by processing power (if processing power is s bottleneck, this is still true, but it takes longer). I think the error here is comparing human and computer vision and interpretation of information, which are radically different. Both have advantages and disadvantages over the other, and they work VERY differently. With computers, the more data points, the more accurate the "understanding". That's why it puzzles me why would Tesla LIMIT the information fed into the computer. I'm pretty sure it's a business decision, and not a technical one, e.g. it is too complicated and time consuming for the engineers to figure out algorithms that combine all the data, so Elon picked vision to focus on. I would place a pretty high bet that radar/lidar WILL be back before we will see actual fully autonomous vehicles on the road.
In a way, you are making my point... if YOU had 3 sensors providing information at a CRITICAL moment, all at the same time, would you you have the time to sift through all of them...or, would you eyes and brain tell you to PUT ON THE BRAKES! Fighter pilots have a threshold known as "task saturation", where they are fine with dealing with 1 or 2 or 3 or even more CRITICAL events occurring simultaneously.... but add just ONE more, and the brain can freeze from information/stimulation overload. I think Elon is trying to cut to the chase and use what all humans use to navigate the World. IMHO.

Upvote 0
That is my exact point. Both human and machine fails to see something that visually hidden if they only rely on vision. Humans can't read GPS signals from satellites, don't have radar, don't have eyes on the back of their heads... computers can. So why not give them machine vision as complete as possible? Doesn't make sense. Tesla actually has parking sensors (I guess ultrasonic ones), which humans don't... that alone is an admission that vision alone is NOT enough for the car to be safe.
How did we drive cars back in the 1990's when there was ONLY vision and brains?

Upvote 0
Hi,

New MY owner here - took delivery 2 days ago in the Netherlands. I went on a road trip straight from the Delivery Center and noticed a few issues on the trip - any info on these issues would be appreciated. I did check the forums but the entries I found didn't exactly describe my issues, so I'm posting them here:

1. Once when I was parked the screen (or the car?) crashed/rebooted by itself twice. I was in a menu, touched a button (can't recall what it was) and the screen just went black, then displayed a loading progress display for quite a while and then back on the default screen. A few minutes later the same thing happened again. This was very soon after delivery and hasn't happened since in the last 2 days. Should I be concerned?

2. While on my first trip (Day 1) I got the message that the right B pillar camera was "blocked or blinded". I saw that this happened to other due to condensation but I stopped to inspect the camera (not immediately but a bit later) and didn't see any condensation, and everything was sparkling clean. This happened multiple times during the drive.

3. The rear USB C ports don't charge my phone - the front ones work. So I guess this is a warranty issue.

4. Before I arrived at my first destination, I set the charge limit to 5A (I knew I was going to charge using someone else's normal mains plug at my destination and didn't want to blow their fuse) but sure enough it did just that - blew their fuse after a few minutes. When I looked at the screen (showing "charging stopped"), I noticed that the charging limit was back to 16A, despite my previously setting it to 5A - apparently it didn't remember this setting. I know the limit doesn't apply to Supercharging, but I had a Supercharger stop between setting it to 5A and the slow/home charging blown fuse incident and I don't know if this my be relevant. Is this normal?

5. When driving on Autopilot (I have the full autopilot) I noticed that I had a tendency to slightly but constantly push the steering wheel to the left (unsuccessfully, of course) as I felt I was too close to the cars in the next lane to the right, and I noticed that quite a few cars moved away from me after I passed them (I suppose they felt the same and moved away after the "close encounter" as if I scared them). I checked using the cameras and the car was actually driving in the middle of the lane, so I don't think there was anything wrong with it, but it seems like we have a tendency to keep more distance from other drivers, which on the typical 2 way European freeway means that the driver in the left lane drives closer to the left side of the road and the driver in the right lane closer to the right edge of the road. I don't want to scare other drivers... and I assume the car is driving safely in technical terms, but I feel weird driving in a way that makes others uncomfortable. Did anyone have a similar experience?

6. I have trouble taking over from Autopilot when I need to make a slight correction. For example, today I came up on a bicyclist while driving on Autopilot, and it would not pass him - instead, kept follow at 20km/h. There were oncoming cars in the other lane, but there was plenty of space to safely pass - I guess it was safe for an experienced human driver, but Autopilot didn't think so. So I decided to take over from Autopilot by gently pushing the steering wheel to the left (which required quite some force) and when the Autopilot finally gave in and disengaged, the car went to the left in a sudden motion that was way more than what I wanted to do, not to mention not smooth driving at all. I know I can just disengage the autopilot with the stalk, but that feels like a very complicated way of making this simplest of maneuvers - move hand to disengage autopilot, then move hand back to wheel to steer, then move hand again to reengage autopilot... seems like an example of technology getting in the way instead of helping. It's literally impossible to take over from Autopilot using the steering wheel without this resulting in an abrupt jerk to the steering wheel and swerving the car in a new direction. Is it just me, or is the steering wheel is way more stiff than it should be when on Autopilot?
Model Y. I am having the same problem with the autosteer. Takes too much force to disengage. Also, it steers way to close to the centerline.

Upvote 0