Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird little issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else noticed this. Occasionally, not every time, when I'm backing out of my garage the car will have more power than I expect and accelerate faster than normal. It's not enough that I've crashed into anything, but it throws me off. At first I thought I was just pushing the pedal to hard, user error. But I've done some testing in an empty parking lot and under normal conditions it doesn't accelerate like this even if I mash the pedal to the floor in reverse. So this does seem to be some sort of glitch. Not sure if it's physical, like the pedal sending the wrong signal, or if it's something in the software. It's more like the acceleration I get going forward. But normally reverse is more tame than that so it throws me off when it happens. I'd say it's happened maybe a dozen times since I got the car, out of the hundreds of times I've backed out of my garage, so it's not common. Just every once in a while.

I wouldn't rate reverse in our Model 3 as "more tame", so this seems odd to me. That said I haven't exactly tried going hard in reverse, so I'm not sure.

Do you have Obstacle Aware Acceleration enabled? I know from experience that if the front ultrasonic sensors see something, it'll prevent modest acceleration. Perhaps it does the same in reverse and you have an obscured/malfunctioning sensor in the rear?

If not, here's my theory: Garage is tight and some sensors see the edges of the garage door frame, triggering the mentioned feature. This prevents modest acceleration (despite your pedal input) until the sensors no longer see the edge of the garage door frame. Once clear, your pedal input is respected in full and will accelerate more than it was previously.

I would try disabling the feature and see if you notice a difference.